=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6551|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Is it me or does anyone else get annoyed when they can't join their favourite server because of reserved slots?  You see a server that appears to have space before you notice the little number in brackets.  It means many servers are full without actually being full because of invisible players that may or may not join the game at a later stage.

I know why they are there, but why can't Admin just resort to kicking people to make room for someone who has a reserved place?  I have only ever been kicked once to make room for admin and it really didn't annoy me that much, I could understand it perfectly and just found another server, but it does wind me up when I can't join because of RS.  With regards to kicking to make room, not only does this ensure the server's full at all times, but it also means that admin can kick the minus/low scoring players to make room and not discriminate against potentially decent players who can't get in because of reserved slots.

What makes the whole process worse is that when you're trying to join a server that your friend is in (and you're using the 'enter IP' method) the browser acts like it's going to let you in before giving you the message.  At least with "server full" it comes up straight away so you can try again.

What so you guys think?  I'd be interested to hear from someone who admins a server with reserve slots....
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6653
No. They pay for the server, they have every right to reserve a slot. it's as simple as that. Of course, kicking is better, but a reserved slot is nice and kicking people can make them angry.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
=OBS= EstebanRey

SargeV1.4 wrote:

No. They pay for the server, they have every right to reserve a slot. it's as simple as that. Of course, kicking is better, but a reserved slot is nice and kicking people can make them angry.
I get more angry when I can't get in because there are 8 reserved slots on a good server not being used than being kicked.
Entertayner
+826|6571

There's 14 on some servers which sucks lol
dan500
+57|6848
Its that or get kicked for a slot, I myself would like it more if I could not join the server than with the risk of being kicked for a slot when haveing a good round..

+1 If your with me

Last edited by dan500 (2006-06-19 09:01:03)

Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

dan500 wrote:

Its that or get kicked for a slot, I myself would like it more if I could not join the server than with the risk of being kicked for a slot when haveing a good round..
I'm with this Gentleman..
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6547|Doncaster, UK
I agree, I'd rather not be able to get into a server then get kicked part way through.

I had one game where I was commanding, and doing a pretty good job of it if I do say so myself, and got kicked by admin to provide room for a member. I wouldn't mind, but there was room in the server as I logged straight back in, luckily saving my points, but not getting the 2x for the command win. If I hadn't been able to get back in I'd have been particularly peeved.

Doc
JOJOBA
my penis itches
+18|6533|Columbus, OH

Friluftshund wrote:

dan500 wrote:

iamtheoneneo
+16|6670
wow =OBS= EstebanRey your from oxford - im from Oxford aswell - pretty cool.lol
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6559|The real world
The low ranked people / low score / high ping people get kicked first, no worrys
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6652
Its their server, they pay the bill, quit bitching.
https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
=OBS= EstebanRey

dan500 wrote:

Yes but a good admin would only kick low scoring players so it shouldn't be a prob.  He would have to be quite retarded to kick someone if they are top, unless he's jelous in which case he'll kick you regardless. 

It is against the ROE to set up a "high points" server by having a 16 player server on a 32/64 player map but using RS you can get around this.  Have a 64 player map with 32 reserve slots that never get taken and there you go, a legit high points server.....  I just think there must be a better way, at least make the box so it comes up as soon as you try to connect and not act as if it's gonna let you in...

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2006-06-19 08:53:16)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6599|Cheshire. UK
I think they should get rid of them but make a disclaimer that you are the 10th (or whatever) player and you are in a member slot if the member wants to play you will be kicked.

At least that way you can play, the servers is full and teamwork prevails and you dont get a shock when the member turns up
Tunacommy
+56|6621|Massachusetts, USA

Drunken_Tankdriver wrote:

Its their server, they pay the bill, quit bitching.
agreed....unless you pay for the server....you really can't get mad at them for doing whatever they want with it.....better than being kicked halfway through the round...
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6711
i have reserve slots and i have them simply because if my server gets 100% it crash's also if i use BF2CC is crash's, if i have mod manager scripts it crash's, if i use punk buster logging it crash's......

i wont be renewing it next month
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6653

JaM3z wrote:

i have reserve slots and i have them simply because if my server gets 100% it crash's also if i use BF2CC is crash's, if i have mod manager scripts it crash's, if i use punk buster logging it crash's......

crashes

sucks though, hope you get a better server!
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6527|Portland, OR USA

Friluftshund wrote:

dan500 wrote:

Agreed, and a was earlier stated - they pay for the server, if they want to make it a locked server, so be it.  There's no real right to them.  Online play is totally free, which is a rarety these days (Final Fantasy 11???)  Personally, I'm glad to see such a superb game offered with free online play.  Not that I would play it other wise.  Something about paying $50 for a game, then $15/mo to PLAY the game I just shelled out $50 for pisses me off.  But anyway, freeloaders rejoice, our time is at hand ... and has been for about a year or so.
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6711

SargeV1.4 wrote:

JaM3z wrote:

crashes

sucks though, hope you get a better server!
there is no fix, crash's are random so im not renewing it until i know all servers run 100% ok, i cant be assed with 17 crash's a day
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6678|Middle of nowhere

joker3327 wrote:

I think they should get rid of them but make a disclaimer that you are the 10th (or whatever) player and you are in a member slot if the member wants to play you will be kicked.

At least that way you can play, the servers is full and teamwork prevails and you dont get a shock when the member turns up
i agree with this man!!  That way, people who don't care if they get kicked know that they might, and people who DON'T want to get kicked can just find another server... +1 for a great idea m8!

and personally, i don't care if i get kicked for a reserved person, but i do care when i can't join b/c of that, so +1 to the Topic starter for having the same feelings!!
Mr.CobraKai
+3|6653
If it is your favorite server, why not pay whomever you must to reserve a slot?
Entertayner
+826|6571

iamtheoneneo wrote:

wow =OBS= EstebanRey your from oxford - im from Oxford aswell - pretty cool.lol
me too teh yayz!
Beer_Ranger
+18|6695|usa
I have no problem with reserved slots, but it would be nice if they were limited. Do you really need more than 1 or 2? If you need more room from there ask ppl to leave, then start booting.

Last edited by Beer_Ranger (2006-06-19 12:56:31)

antin0de
+44|6667|SL,UT
Maybe reserved slots are a tad annoying, but they're fine.  I just wanna get on a 64-player server with 32 reserved slots.  Huge scores, what!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard