polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6781|Singapore

1337. leet.

Maybe we should make a rule here you only can post in pure1337 5p34|<.

Now that would be completely stupid. But I find internet slang funny, and cute in its own way, and since its here to stay, enjoy it!
dshak
+4|6805
you're not watching the trainwreck, you're taking an active role. and I can think of a few things better than flamer to fire right back at you, but notice how I'm not doing that.

Polar... so 1337 is leet... whats leet? and how does 1337 mean leet anyway? upside down or something? I thought slang was supposed to be a simplification of language... this is like code!

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-09 18:22:30)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6781|Singapore

its like a cipher in a way

A - 4
B - |3

so on and so for, they use characters to subsitute alphabets so you get incredibly stupid ones like... |\| or \/\/

leet.. hmm leet means like umm. good?
unforgiven5150
+0|6771|Phoenix, AZ
Actually see someone say own or worse p0wn makes me want to kick my cat. Leet is a close 3rd. I just imagine some total nerd of a 13 year old saying it while pushing up his taped glasses while his mom yells at him to take out the trash because Star Trek is coming on. Makes me laught then.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6781|Singapore

That was some funny shit unforgiven. =P High school geeek. haha
Instant Cereal
+0|6736

dshak wrote:

I'm sure I'm alone in this...

But does anyone else out there just want to slit their wrists slowly, one at a time, when reading a lot of these posts because of the slang? I'm a HEAVY BF2 player, just look at my hours to see that, but prior to BF2 I didn't play many games and hardly any online.

I hate the slang. If I find myself using it in these conversations I want to stab myself. Noob. own. flame. etc etc etc. Its like some kind of cyber ebonics.

I'm not too old just yet, but back in my day a jackass was just a jackass, when you were good at something you were just good at it (you didn't 'own'), and you bitched at people, you didn't flame them (sorry, but the last one sounds a little on the homosexual side).

I can't stand "gaming slang." These have to be some of the stupidest words I've ever heard. And before I get FLAMED (just threw up a little in my mouth as I typed that), I'm not talking smack about anyone who uses them, just the words themselves.

ANYONE out there feel the same way or is it just me?
Honestly, I don't see the reason to get your panties in a knot. I rarely conversate in a game like BF2 anyway. Granted I'm no stranger to internet lingo, I generally don't use it. If someone really, really ticks me off, I just call them a douche or a midget... or something a 12 year old and his grandmother would know. Or I'll just say "ns", or, "g1" to compliment them.

Chill, it's not worth farting a brick over. If you think they're saying negative crap to or about you, funk 'em, ignore 'em. As if interweb lingo will make your real world life any better anyway.

Last edited by Instant Cereal (2005-11-10 06:25:32)

dsb
+0|6769

Instant Cereal wrote:

Chill, it's not worth farting a brick over. As if interweb lingo will make your real world life any better anyway.
ouch
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6773

unforgiven5150 wrote:

Actually see someone say own or worse p0wn makes me want to kick my cat. Leet is a close 3rd. I just imagine some total nerd of a 13 year old saying it while pushing up his taped glasses while his mom yells at him to take out the trash because Star Trek is coming on. Makes me laught then.
Then the person using it has caused you to react just like they wanted you to.

If I really want to get a rise out of someone, I'll say something like, "pwned lol." I usually get a response like, "FU n00b."

I only use this for those special occasions. ;-)

Oh, and let this thread die. PLZKTHXLOL
dshak
+4|6805
never farted any bricks before... but wow, that would be friggin cool
dsb
+0|6769

dshak wrote:

never farted any bricks before... but wow, that would be friggin cool
be cool? holy loose anus!!! That would friggin hurt.

Unless you're into that sort of thing I guess
unforgiven5150
+0|6771|Phoenix, AZ

Bubkin wrote:

If I really want to get a rise out of someone, I'll say something like, "pwned lol." I usually get a response like, "FU n00b."

My thinking of them as a worthless dorky, bound to die a virgin nerd and laughing at that image is the reaction they were hoping for? Wow. I guess I need to get out more or I was older than I thought.
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6773

unforgiven5150 wrote:

Bubkin wrote:

My thinking of them as a worthless dorky, bound to die a virgin nerd and laughing at that image is the reaction they were hoping for? Wow. I guess I need to get out more or I was older than I thought.
mmm... yeah...

Clarification: I, of course, was refering to your original statement that it makes you "want to kick your cat."
unforgiven5150
+0|6771|Phoenix, AZ
Gotcha. I guess I'm the only one that gets tired of any slang being over used. Its not the fact that I was "pwned". Hell, most of the time it isn't even related to me. Its just one of those words that I just can't stand. Lots of real world slang has the same reaction. Just like adding izzle to the end of everything. As in "foshizzle my nizzle". Was mildly humourus 3 years ago, now, just annoying.

I guess I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi as well. Just can't take people seriously when they use ridiculous slang and then find a need to get creative in the spelling as well. Getting too old to play online I guess.

Last edited by unforgiven5150 (2005-11-10 11:22:03)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA

dshak wrote:

you're not watching the trainwreck, you're taking an active role. and I can think of a few things better than flamer to fire right back at you, but notice how I'm not doing that.

Polar... so 1337 is leet... whats leet? and how does 1337 mean leet anyway? upside down or something? I thought slang was supposed to be a simplification of language... this is like code!
I think leet comes from elite.  So 1337 hax0rs = elite hackers.
BTW, I can't believe this thread is still going on...

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-11-10 11:37:47)

Tyshalle83
+1|6744|Raleigh, NC
My girlfriend (who is very hot and only mildly geeky) hangs out with a girl who's a complete loser and attracts tons of other geeky retards to her like rotten garbage attracts flies. Yesterday I was at a meeting (my girlfriend runs her own official non-profit organization, and we meet weekly) with these people, and they started busting out the internet slang, like, fucking in person.

What the fuck is that shit?

Y'know, I understand shortening words online. I don't do it that often, but at least I can understand why people might shorten "pictures" to "pics." You ever say the word "pics" out loud? You sound like a flaming homosexual.

These silly mother fuckers said "Pics."

They also talked about "flaming" each other, and despite the faggoty way they were talking I don't think they meant it in a "let me stick my cock up your ass" way.

They also describe victories and defeats on a scale of d20, which is just about as low as you fucking can go. "That was a good one. Dex check 20." "Man dude, you really were a moron there. Charisma check: 2."

How gay can you be?

Next person who talks like that to me IRL is gonna get lit on fire.
dshak
+4|6805
the post that would never die....
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6839|-
Tyshalle83, I feel embarrassed to live in the same city as you.

Thread closed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard