Defiance
+438|6688

I'll keep this simple: How come when my view distance is 100% it still cuts people out?

For example, I'm on the crane on Oman and I can't even see the AA at MEC base or at hotel, or anywhere else, which is a pain in the ass when I'm trying to cover my clanmates in the air.

One of my friends using all the same settings as I, but has more ram, and sees everything fine. Could that be the problem?
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6766|Mark it zero.
im pretty sure it has something to do with your computer specs. mine is also set to 100 but i cant see shit, even though my friends and clanmates can see soo much more.
drake666
when Hell is full...
+184|6727|austria
ive 1 Gb ram! is this to less?
https://team-ex.de/imagehosting/daten/1323768139_m98b.png
Usque Ad Finem
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6736|Melbourne, Australia
yer im fairly sure it must be your ram.. by more buddy if u think its worth it =]
deject
Got His War On
+37|6791|Golden, CO
Aparrantly there are some other settings that affect your view distance.  I'm not sure what they are, but I heard that the Geometry setting can also affect your view distance.
<b|k> lukie
+7|6739|Germany

deject wrote:

Aparrantly there are some other settings that affect your view distance.  I'm not sure what they are, but I heard that the Geometry setting can also affect your view distance.
If anything else than "view distance" affects view distance then DICE is a bunch of idiots!
Somebody noticed a setting which affects view distance too?
Well, 'terrain view distance' seems to be much(!) 'bigger' than 'object view distance'. This is very annoying, i permanently see objects pop out of nowhere. So many enemies surprise me, because u cant see them although you should. BS
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6666|Washington DC

<b|k> lukie wrote:

deject wrote:

If anything else than "view distance" affects view distance then DICE is a bunch of idiots!
Somebody noticed a setting which affects view distance too?
Well, 'terrain view distance' seems to be much(!) 'bigger' than 'object view distance'. This is very annoying, i permanently see objects pop out of nowhere. So many enemies surprise me, because u cant see them although you should. BS
I've played around with settings quite a bit and perhaps this mini-tutorial will help out:

1.  Adjusting "View Distance" will improve the distance that you can see static objects & dynamic objects.  Unless your system is horrible, this should never be lower than 100%.

2.  Adjusting "Geometry" will improve the distance that you can see dynamic objects (vehicles, people).  Again, unless your system is horrible, this should be at medium or high.  If you have this set to low, then you will see dynamic objects suddenly appear at about 80% of your maximum View Distance.  For example, if you have your geometry set to low, you will struggle to see people on the ground when flying the Apache as a gunner.

3.  Adjusting "Display Mode" will improve the clarity of far-away objects, and higher settings are critical for long-distance sniping.

Last edited by OrangeHound (2006-06-15 15:33:09)

bulletsinurface
teh 1337 SuXorR
+27|6650|Canada Ontario
i heard that if you put the lighting up to high it also helps ALOT
easy-skanking
+43|6553
most snipers suggest puting your lighting to low ..i refuse to put anything on low tho
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6637

easy-skanking wrote:

most snipers suggest puting your lighting to low ..i refuse to put anything on low tho
NO NO NO lighint needs to be high this allowas you too see farther explosions low if you have a chuggy pc always set lighting as high as possible.......here

display mode:1280x1024@60hz

terrain:high

effects:low

geometry:high

texture:high

lighting:high

dynamic shadows:off

dynamic light:high

aa:off

texture filtering:high

view scale:100

perfect sniping setup as Dont_be_ss posted before

Last edited by My_pet_squirrel (2006-06-15 16:26:13)

OrangeHound

bulletsinurface wrote:

i heard that if you put the lighting up to high it also helps ALOT
Actually, believe it or not, in my experience it is just the opposite.

When "Lighting" is set to medium or high, then shadows and darkness is added to the map.  This makes it more difficult to pick out people who might be hiding in dark corners.  When lighting is set to low, then the whole map is lit up ... like there are light sources everywhere, and people cannot hide in the shadows.  The game doesn't look as realistic with lighting set to low, but you are better able to pick out enemies ... particularly as a sniper.

Last edited by OrangeHound (2006-06-15 16:31:18)

Beer_Ranger
+18|6712|usa
Ok, ive got a Q, ive looked, maybe i missed it, but when you bring up the fps, is it the first or second # i need to pay attention too. *god i hope its the first*
OrangeHound

My_pet_squirrel wrote:

easy-skanking wrote:

NO NO NO lighint needs to be high this allowas you too see farther explosions low if you have a chuggy pc always set lighting as high as possible

lighting:high
That's a good point from a quality authority.  According to dont_be_ss (a good long-distance sniper), he says "changing the lighting is what makes the most difference i think, because light shines on the infantry even at range so they are very easy to pick out. Try changing all the lighting to high it might add 50m+ to your viewing distance!"

I actually did not have the same experience.  For my rig, I found that it was the "geometry" and "view distance" that made the most difference, and not the lighting.
Main_E_ak
That sky looks like ground...
+6|6566|UK

OrangeHound wrote:

2.  Adjusting "Geometry" will improve the distance that you can see dynamic objects (vehicles, people).  Again, unless your system is horrible, this should be at medium or high.  If you have this set to low, then you will see dynamic objects suddenly appear at about 80% of your maximum View Distance.  For example, if you have your geometry set to low, you will struggle to see people on the ground when flying the Apache as a gunner.
Maybe this is the explaination as to why some of the gunners who get in my chopper when I fly don't shot stuff I can see...

I might have to push that setting up to high then, it's rather annoying getting shot at by ground vehicles that can see you but which you can't see.

Last edited by Main_E_ak (2006-06-15 16:42:26)

OrangeHound

Main_E_ak wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Maybe this is the explaination as to why some of the gunners who get in my chopper when I fly don't shot stuff I can see...

I might have to push that setting up to high then, it's rather annoying getting shot at by ground vehicles that can see you but which you can't see.
lol

That's how I discovered my "problem".  I was gunning with a great pilot and he kept yelling "get the squad by the AA" ... I would look and not see anything ... "Where?  I don't see anyone."  Then the pilot would yell, "Down there!!!!!! They look like little ants.  Shoot em"   But I didn't see a thing. 

Needless to say, we got shot down ... I logged off and noticed that my geometry was on low.  I thought this was just a setting for how smooth surfaces would look, but I soon discovered that there are major advantages to having this set to medium or high.
Beer_Ranger
+18|6712|usa
Anyone? Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6637
Well.... i can see farther with my lighitng set to high and i have no lagg so ill keep mine on
OrangeHound

Beer_Ranger wrote:

Ok, ive got a Q, ive looked, maybe i missed it, but when you bring up the fps, is it the first or second # i need to pay attention too. *god i hope its the first*
Sorry, not sure what you are talking about when you say "fps" and "first or second #" ... can you clarify?
Beer_Ranger
+18|6712|usa
ok, sorry, let me be more clear.  To view your frames per second, you bring down the menu with the ~ key, and type renderer.drawfps 1 and it puts 2 numbers in your upper left hand corner. Thing is, I cant seem to find any info on which ones which. gut tells me first one is current fps, and second if average, but im not sure. clearer?
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6637
i just open fraps and it tells me to be honest i never have used that command but i get around 97 constant sometimes it drops to like 80 and once it whent down to 2 because mcAfee started scanning
Beer_Ranger
+18|6712|usa
lol yeah, i seem to get mostly blank stares at this Question. oh well.

*and sorry for the simi hijack, related sorta, but not really*

Last edited by Beer_Ranger (2006-06-15 17:14:46)

OrangeHound

Beer_Ranger wrote:

ok, sorry, let me be more clear.  To view your frames per second, you bring down the menu with the ~ key, and type renderer.drawfps 1 and it puts 2 numbers in your upper left hand corner. Thing is, I cant seem to find any info on which ones which. gut tells me first one is current fps, and second if average, but im not sure. clearer?
Oh ... thanks for the clarification.  I believe your assumptions are correct.  You can see some documentation on gamespot.  Although, I saw another reference that said the second number was the time in milliseconds between frames.
Beer_Ranger
+18|6712|usa

OrangeHound wrote:

Beer_Ranger wrote:

Oh ... thanks for the clarification.  I believe your assumptions are correct.  You can see some documentation on gamespot.  Although, I saw another reference that said the second number was the time in milliseconds between frames.
Ahhh. That makes way more sense.  Its gotta be the milliseconds between framees, as my first number is usally in the 80s, and the second one is more like 16...  Thanks!
<b|k> lukie
+7|6739|Germany

OrangeHound wrote:

Thanks OrangeHound!
Oh my god! The responsible settings programmer should be hung, shot and stoned. Its retarded, stupid and ILLOGICAL! Why? See this points:

[*] What do most ppl understand regarding "geometry setting"? 3D mesh compexity of objects and LOD changing regarding distance. But NOT 'view distance' cuz there is a 'view distance' setting.

[*] 'Texture quality' setting does NOT imply TERRAIN TEXTURES as it should do. So if you want to have nice terrain textures you'll have to accept more terrain objects and higher terrain LOD.

[*] 'specular maps' (water on floor, shiny metal effect) are COUPLED to 'shadow maps' in the 'static lighting' setting. Goddamn i LIKE 'specular maps' but i dont want static shadows.

[*] Since 1.3 'dynamic shadows' cannot be turned on without 'static shadows' being on. It is logical but gives you a disadvantage.

[*] 'Texture filtering' setting is made for idiots. WHAT IS LOW/MED/HIGH? Bilinear, Trilinear, 4xAF or 8xAF? OK there is a AF setting at least, many retarded games do not offer AF setting ingame.

It would be MUCH BETTER being able to have a "ADVANCED SETTINGS" feature like every other good game has. There you could set:
AA, AF, specular maps, shadow maps, normal maps, object view distance, terrain view distance, terrain complexity, object complexity, special effects, dynamic light, dynamic shadows, texture quality and so on.

Ok i measured the object view distance regarding the geometry setting. View distance was 100%.

geometry low:

Infantry - 120m
Tank - 220m
APC - 188m
Jeep - 125m
Stinger - 90m
TOW - 75m

geometry high:

Infantry - 195m
Jeep - 218m
Stinger - 145m
other - map was too small to get a clear view on the object

So you can see AT LEAST +75% FURTHER on high geometry setting!!! If the same value applies to infantry then i'll be much better now. This would explain why i've been killed by invisible TOWs and why my gunner sees much further than me.

How retarded could the programmer be to not imply 'object view distance' into 'view distance. AHRGH!!!

Yes, the first number is FPS the second is time between frames in ms.

Last edited by <b|k> lukie (2006-06-16 14:52:08)

ECH
+50|6660|Some where near you
interesting find, keep up the good work

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard