Snakestyles
+17|6744|South Africa
I find amusingly convinient that America is getting so much flak nowdays. Living in Africa and having a totally different perspective on things, i see alot people trash talking the sates. Imo the French,English,Dutch,Italians,Portugese and Germans have still not atoned for the collective raping of the African and Asian continents.In particular Africa still suffers heavily due to the impact of rampant colonialism.

In one of the threads in this forum someone asked were America was when the genocide took place in Ruwanda, Dafur was also mentioned.Why should America step in when both Afican countires mentioned were ex colonial states.At least when America leaves iraq it will have a working democracy,schools,hospitals,judical system and public works.When the Europeans pulled out of Africa they went out of thier way to make sure it would take another 200 years before the continent could even attempt to stand on its own feet.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
Valid points however alot has changed in the last 200 years so all of those points are pretty irrelivent in this day and age, the furthest back anyone can hope to compare a country to is about 50 years max. Cultures completly change within that time frame.
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6674|Sydney, Australia
We don't dislike EVERY American, we just dislike the assholes and America's foreign policies.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6568
I have 3 criticisms:

1)  I believe I am the one to whom you are referring, and the point I was making is that America isn't out to protect anyone but itself, and the US army is nothing but a tool of oppression.

2)  I find it hard to believe how you know that America will put in place a working democracy before leaving when we don't even know if it has one now

3)  What Europe did to it's colonies is exactly what America is doing to various nations now, and exactly what has been done by countless nations through history.  History has shown itself to be cyclical, and the strongest power is always the shining beacon of all that is good so far as it is concerned.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6715|Wilmington, DE, US
Not that South Africa did bad things to Africa either...

Last edited by Ikarti (2006-06-14 05:47:31)

Snakestyles
+17|6744|South Africa

Vilham wrote:

Valid points however alot has changed in the last 200 years so all of those points are pretty irrelivent in this day and age, the furthest back anyone can hope to compare a country to is about 50 years max. Cultures completly change within that time frame.
Thats not entirley true,Africa is still suffering and the colonials have still not made repirations.
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol

Snakestyles wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Thats not entirely true,Africa is still suffering and the colonials have still not made repirations.
Africans dieing of aids, starvation and lack of water isn't entirely our fault.

Last edited by Cold Fussion (2006-06-14 05:48:29)

herrr_smity
+156|6634|space command ur anus
dam right they need to take some responsibility for what they have done in the past
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
Apartheid doesn't conjure up images of joy to me.

Africa is a mess for so many reasons, I would say most can be attributed to Europe and the more Modern world, but the whole overthrowing your leader and replacing him with an identical leader every week shit has got to stop.
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6759
I'm so sick and tired of all those USA treads.........
Looks to me like the us cant take any criticism, and they sure do not learn from there mistakes.
The usa a beautifull country, with some nice people if you do not count in the 60.000.000 rednecks.
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

Looks to me like the us cant take any criticism, and they sure do not learn from there mistakes.
The usa a beautifull country, with some nice people if you do not count in the 60.000.000 rednecks.
And all the pro george bush people.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6568
I also think that the original post ignores the fact that America contributed to the current problems, and that America was started by European colonists.  But hey, minor detail.  Aussies get out of that becuase most of us are ex-cons...........so we just have to dodge Aboriginal issues.  But hey, everyone knows Terra Nullius was perfectly fair.  We had guns, therefore we delared the land empty.  That way we didn't have to fight a war for it.  Peace through superior firepower, no?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562
Snakestyles, as an Irishman who knows his history I can tell you foreign colonialism/imperialism raped our land and we were left in a similar state to other nations abandoned by their colonial overlord. The fact of the matter is that we threw of our colonial power and rightly so - because they were not and do not act in the best interest of the people they have subjugated. We broke free of the shackles of our invaders (well 80% of our country) and in the past 80-90 years we have taken control of our own affairs and transformed our country from being the most improverished in western europe to the second richest, with the highest quality of life.

Colonised nations have to throw off their overlords, deal with the quagmire they find themselves in, which may last decades, and emerge at the other end with a nation they themselves have constructed. To rely on some trumped up foreign 'do gooder' to 'do what's best' for the colony they're abandoning is foolish.

You should just be glad that you're free to manage your own affairs. One day things will come together for these 'abandoned' african nations.

I personally deplore the acts of the British, Belgian and French empires - the only ones I have read much on - just because I criticise the US and don't bang on about these empires doesn't mean I think they're saints by any means. I do rant about the Brits in particular from time to time. Most of the threads never lead to situations where the acts of these empires are brought up anyway.

I think it odd that you be praising the newest wave of imperialism - the US conquest of the middle east - when you yourself are from a continent whose progress has been held back for possibly centuries at the hands of colonialism. If you think the US are going to leave Iraq in such a utopian state then IMO you will probably be gravely mistaken.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6605|Cheshire. UK

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

Pa he's badmouthin der rednicks agin fetch ma gun!! 

JK
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6632|Sea to globally-cooled sea
I am an American.

I vote.

I pray.

I love, in this order: my God, my family, my country.  and all three are extremely important to me.

We all come from different backgrounds.  I see Dutch, Australian, American, and South African in this thread alone.  We all have a different perspective.

Living in the shadow of the World Trade Center (40 miles away), I knew close to half a dozen people who perished when those hateful people flew our planes into our buildings.  When they fell, I could see without the Television the smoke in the sky from the window of my dorm room at Seton Hall University.

My classmates cried.  My professors cried.  My parents cried.  I cried, too.  You cannot understand how genuinely scary that day was.

People say "we will never forget 9/11."  Some have, and some have not.  I have not forgotten.  You who have not lost thousands of people in one day because of these terrorists do not have the same perspective that many of us americans have.  I understand that you do not understand.  But why be so intolerant?  You did not lose loved ones.  You stand on the outside, criticizing.

Say a prayer.  Don't just ejaculate hate as you do now, because it upsets people who care.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.

G3|Genius wrote:

I am an American.

I vote.

I pray.

I love, in this order: my God, my family, my country.  and all three are extremely important to me.

We all come from different backgrounds.  I see Dutch, Australian, American, and South African in this thread alone.  We all have a different perspective.

Living in the shadow of the World Trade Center (40 miles away), I knew close to half a dozen people who perished when those hateful people flew our planes into our buildings.  When they fell, I could see without the Television the smoke in the sky from the window of my dorm room at Seton Hall University.

My classmates cried.  My professors cried.  My parents cried.  I cried, too.  You cannot understand how genuinely scary that day was.

People say "we will never forget 9/11."  Some have, and some have not.  I have not forgotten.  You who have not lost thousands of people in one day because of these terrorists do not have the same perspective that many of us americans have.  I understand that you do not understand.  But why be so intolerant?  You did not lose loved ones.  You stand on the outside, criticizing.

Say a prayer.  Don't just ejaculate hate as you do now, because it upsets people who care.
3,000 Americans pales in comparison to 40,000 Iraqi civilians in my book, especially since Iraqis had nothing to do with it.

WTC was bad an all, but people need to move on.

Last edited by Ikarti (2006-06-14 06:04:28)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6568
Why can't you understand the genuine grievances that they had?

That's all I'll say, given that your post was OT enough.
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6759

Bubbalo wrote:

Why can't you understand the genuine grievances that they had?

That's all I'll say, given that your post was OT enough.
I had grief, when someone close to me died from actions taken by a criminal.........
I searched for many months, found the asshole beat him to shit, and dropped him in front of police station.
Now I did not murder him, nor his family or neighbours...

Ikarti is right PEOPLE do need to move on.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562

G3|Genius wrote:

I am an American.

I vote.

I pray.

I think you'll find Spain had their own version of '9/11' at the hands of islamic extremists. The USA doesn't have a monopoly on 'being the victim'.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

Not that I disagree with what Genius said, but so did the UK. Just with a lot less casualties.
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6737|Peoria, Illinois

CameronPoe wrote:

G3|Genius wrote:

I think you'll find Spain had their own version of '9/11' at the hands of islamic extremists. The USA doesn't have a monopoly on 'being the victim'.
Are you from Spain?
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
And to whoever said most Iraqis are killed by Iraqis on my karma page...I believe it's the US with bombers and gunships and artillery. Thanks for not leaving a name though.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562

M1-Lightning wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

G3|Genius wrote:

Are you from Spain?
Does that even matter?

You're from Illinois, a state in the USA. 9/11 happened in PA, DC & NY.
I'm from Ireland, a country in the EU. The Madrid bombings happened in a fellow EU country.

I love this whole 'Are you qualified to comment?' type sniping. Everybody is entitled to their opinion on anything - that's what's so great about free speech.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-14 06:35:07)

G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6632|Sea to globally-cooled sea

ghettoperson wrote:

Not that I disagree with what Genius said, but so did the UK. Just with a lot less casualties.
it's true...spain and UK.  and Iraq.  all victims of terrorists after 9/11.  most of the people behind the deaths of the iraqis are other muslims, mostly from Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon, who are threatened by the idea of democracy.  Muslims killing muslims, not americans killing muslims.  It's tragic, too, but not our fault.

Hussein oversaw the gassing of hundreds of thousands of innocent Kurds.  America goes in, removes him, and kills iraqis involved in the ensuing insurgency, with what--100 innocent collateral deaths tops?  ...yet we're the enemy, and there's pity for Hussein?  somehow this seems backwards to me.  Do not blame america for the suicide bombers who are killing dozens of iraqis at a clip.  You want America out?  those iraqis who are dying are Iraqi police recruits, Iraqi police chiefs, Iraqi army recruits, and Iraqi military personel.  the US marines are dying side by side with Iraqis while training them to run their new autonomous democracy.

People would rather sit back and let death happen then intervene.  Case in point--Africa.  the wars that are going on there are awful.  The genocide.  the killing of Christians.  ...it's a gross situation.  But it's not in the news because America has not gone in to put a stop to it.  If America went in, people would start tallying the number of Africans the Americans have killed, just as people are now tallying the number of Iraqis dying.

I hate to tell you, folks, but the net loss of life is still above what it had been under Hussein's fearful reign.
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6546|The Lost Highway

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

Funny how people throw around the term Redneck. It's offensive. Suck my ass with a straw, commie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard