The_Mob_Returns
+72|6724|Indianapolis, IN
In a way the World series is the World Series because it includes players from all around the world.  For teams to be included from other countries would pose a problem though because of travel.  So the players can try and join teams in America. 

And a side note, American like to be the top at everything, or at least think they are, so when they create a game to determine the best of the teams from that particular sport they will give is a name that makes it sound important or the best.

EDIT:
Yes, I was serious.  In a way Baseball is a WORLD sport if it includes players from around the WORLD.  And yes Americans do think they are the best at everything.

(This is in response to my negative karma)

Last edited by The_Mob_Returns (2006-06-02 08:23:06)

Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6697|Mountains of West Virginia

RicardoBlanco wrote:

How gracious..And yes, I lived in the US for a year when I was younger, Scarsdale in NewYork
And that qualifies you to judge american sports?

I think not.

And if you had to "pad up" then you really have not expirenced what a real game of pickup football is like.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
Cricket = Curling. Oh wait curling is much better then cricket.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6552|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Sorry to piss on your bon fire Ricardo but on your list only Basketball is an American Sport, that is if you are defining it by place of origin.

We, The British, invented Baseball as it was exported to the US as 'rounders'.  Over the years certain rules were changed and it gained the nickname baseball after the bases in the game.  The British invented the  game, the yanks changed the rules (kind of the same as the English Language really, lol).  As for American Football well that's the same but it's from Rugby (Suddenly it's too dangerous so let's put protective suits on, mummy I might get hurt, sissies).

Whittsend - North America and Asia does not count as all over the World and when he says "played" he means as one of the top five sports in each country.  Some kid who's watched Film of Dreams too many times and starts hitting an acorn with a broom handle in Bosnia doesn't count....

In contrast, Rosse_modest, The five of the top teams in the World are England (European), South Africa (African), Pakistan (Asia), Australia (Australiasion) and the West Indies (South America).  That's five continents and would only be improved if the Americans/Canadians started playing along with some polar bears and penguins in the Arctics.  Rugby covers four so I would say they can bothe defined as being played "all over the World".

Whittsend - About the "most valuable sport" thing, firstly, it is typical American attitude to judge success by money, it's the first language over there; secondly I've read that article and no where does it say that, it only compares it financially to the other 3 American Sports.  The only comparison to football is how the clubs in England can all compete whereas in the NFL only the rich ones survive (sounds good money management eh?).  Here it is....

http://www.economist.com/business/displ … id=6859210

Secondly, you're chatting bollocks as it makes no logical sense.  There are 90 odd professional teams in the English league and that's not counting Wales, Scotland and N.E!  There must hundreds of thousands of professional teams all over the world making money and how many NFL teams are there?  Football Shirt sales vs. American Football shirt sales? No contest, The 1 billion Real Madrid shirts Beckham sold would probably do the job on its own!

Someone else said it, if they're no good at it, they don't take interest because they are the ultimate gravy train riders.
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6712|Sweden

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

As far as the Super Bowl goes, I'm not a football fan myself, but the simple fact is that a recent artivle in The Economist (a British Journal, no?) noted that American Football is the most profitable sport in the world.  SO, in a sense, the Super Bowl IS the worlds biggest sporting event.  Sorry to hit you with a cluebat, chief.
Which is not true, however NBA and NFL players are the highest paid in the world. I just read the newest national geographic were it said that Soccer is by far the most profitable sport in the world. It is also the biggest sport. 569 million people watched the finals in the last world cup. That's more than any other program.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6570|Oxford
Basketball? american? Wasn't that based on our 'Netball' which is what all the girls play in school?

Maybe I should change the topic to 'Why do americans feel the need to adopt perfectly good sports, change them and make them unpopular to the rest of the world?'...

I LOVE the sandwiches you guys have over there though...awesome.

Last edited by RicardoBlanco (2006-06-02 09:15:48)

whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6760|MA, USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Whittsend - North America and Asia does not count as all over the World and when he says "played" he means as one of the top five sports in each country.  Some kid who's watched Film of Dreams too many times and starts hitting an acorn with a broom handle in Bosnia doesn't count....
I said Asia and Latin America (which is part of North American and All of South America).  Throw in the rest of North America and you are looking at three out of six inhabited Continents and a majority of the worlds population.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Whittsend - About the "most valuable sport" thing, firstly, it is typical American attitude to judge success by money, it's the first language over there; secondly I've read that article and no where does it say that, it only compares it financially to the other 3 American Sports.  The only comparison to football is how the clubs in England can all compete whereas in the NFL only the rich ones survive (sounds good money management eh?).  Here it is....

http://www.economist.com/business/displ … id=6859210
I interpreted this:

The Economist wrote:

The co-operative arrangements also make costs stable and predictable. Mr Vrooman reckons that even if another American sports league, or a big European football league, were to have similar cashflows to the NFL, the American league's teams would still be 50-60% more valuable because their business is so much less risky.
To be referring to European Soccer leagues.  This is a British journal, so Football=Soccer.  The clear implication of this statement is that the cashflow of the NFL is higher than other American sports and European Football leagues.  Seems simple to me.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Secondly, you're chatting bollocks as it makes no logical sense.  There are 90 odd professional teams in the English league and that's not counting Wales, Scotland and N.E!  There must hundreds of thousands of professional teams all over the world making money and how many NFL teams are there?  Football Shirt sales vs. American Football shirt sales? No contest, The 1 billion Real Madrid shirts Beckham sold would probably do the job on its own!
It makes plenty of sense to anyone with experience of US sports.  Firstly, I have lived in the UK, so the 90 teams in the league don't impress me, as we both know the majority of them are crap, and the only people who care about them are the people who live across the street from their home pitches.  The part that matters is the Premiership, and only about half of those teams are making REAL money. 

In any case, your conception of where the money is coming from shows your lack of understanding:  It's not about tickets, and merchandise is tertiary.  It is all about TV contracts and advertising.  It costs 2 MILLION DOLLARS for 30 seconds of advertising time during the Superbowl.  The amount of money involved is staggering, and the same thing applies in miniature all season long, as football is consistently among the top rated programs in the country.  I'm pretty sure the World Cup doesn't make that kind of money.

Sorry, you are wrong.  I stand by what I said.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Someone else said it, if they're no good at it, they don't take interest because they are the ultimate gravy train riders.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Last edited by whittsend (2006-06-02 09:36:06)

Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6808|Orlando, FL - Age 43

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Basketball? american? Wasn't that based on our 'Netball' which is what all the girls play in school?
Negatory Ricardo.....do a little research.

RMIT University wrote:

Netball developed as an off-shoot of American Basketball, the sport quickly spread to England and by 1897 young ladies were playing the game on grass courts.

In 1898 some changes were made to basketball and the origins of Netball as we know it appeared. Some of these first changes are still used in the modern game. The name basketball was used because the original goal rings were actually like "baskets" only open at one end. This meant that the poor umpire had to climb a ladder to retrieve the ball after each goal.

The game was brought to Australia by English school teachers and there are records pf inter-school games being played as early as 1913.

Many changes to rules and court markings occurred over the years and the modern international game is extremely fast and exciting.

http://communication.students.rmit.edu. … story.html
Another good link
http://www.netball.org/Netball.aspx?id=18

*WhAcK* *WhAcK* *WhAcK* -continues beating RicardoBlanco about the head and shoulders with the cluebat!

Last edited by Darth_Fleder (2006-06-02 09:20:28)

Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6732|Beerville, USA
ummmmm... what about "Kick the Can", there's a classic right?
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6754
I just wish football(soccer) will be more popular in the US someday.

Last edited by Dr.Battlefield (2006-06-02 09:22:14)

HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6659|California
Sorry to burst everyones bubble....
But America has the two greatest sports of all....

BOWLING AND DRINKING!

Burp
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6633|USA

RicardoBlanco wrote:

e.g american football, baseball, basketball (to a lesser extent).

They are played almost solely in the US and the rest of the world has very little interest. European sports on the other hand, e.g Football, Rugby, Cricket are played by million all over the world.

Is this proof that american sports are indeed SHIT or are we missing something?
thats mainly because the U.K. had most of the world as an empire. (except for the U.S. tried that didnt work too well) You planted your seed of sports, they grew and we made our own.  you should step outside your current empire and see whats really out there.  You might end up appreciating those other,  less attractive american sports a little more!
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6570|Oxford

Darth_Fleder wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Negatory Ricardo.....do a little research.

RMIT University wrote:

Netball developed as an off-shoot of American Basketball, the sport quickly spread to England and by 1897 young ladies were playing the game on grass courts.

In 1898 some changes were made to basketball and the origins of Netball as we know it appeared. Some of these first changes are still used in the modern game. The name basketball was used because the original goal rings were actually like "baskets" only open at one end. This meant that the poor umpire had to climb a ladder to retrieve the ball after each goal.

The game was brought to Australia by English school teachers and there are records pf inter-school games being played as early as 1913.

Many changes to rules and court markings occurred over the years and the modern international game is extremely fast and exciting.

http://communication.students.rmit.edu. … story.html
Another good link
http://www.netball.org/Netball.aspx?id=18

*WhAcK* *WhAcK* *WhAcK* -continues beating RicardoBlanco about the head and shoulders with the cluebat!
I stand corrected..

*hides from the 'cluebat' *
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6747|Houston, TX

Husker~ifh~ wrote:

ummmmm... what about "Kick the Can", there's a classic right?
/sarcasm/

It's not about the "classic" aspect of Kick the Can.  It's about whether or not America created the game.  Then you must discuss America's involvement of nerfing or plagiarizing the game and ruining it for the world.

*rolls eyes*

Last edited by Kung Jew (2006-06-02 09:29:14)

Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6747|Houston, TX

Dr.Battlefield wrote:

I just wish football(soccer) will be more popular in the US someday.
It's getting there...  slowly. World Cup promotion has helped.  I wish the same thing.

KJ
stacky24af
+1|6544
Dude screw your rugby, screw your cricket they both suck ass. If your shitty TV networks actually televised American football, baseball, and basketball you would have a clue in life of what good sports are. And just a heads up to ENGLAND fans they will not win the world cup so start cryin yourself a river.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
I love the UK, but for a Brit to criticize American cars is HIGHLY amusing.  Do you know how many British owned car companies there are?  None.  Every one of them was poorly managed and operated, and turned into merge bait for foreign companies.
You do make fast cars i must admit,but isn't TVR still located in Blackpool,England? We used to make quality cars like Jags,Astin Martin and if i'm not mistaken Rolls Royces,if only we didn't sell them to overseas.Anyway Italy is still car capital for me.
Sheep of War
+40|6645
The US, by nature, is a very independent place. At one time it was also one of the most radical and defying establishments ever created.

What makes you think that Americans care about what the euros think about our sports?

With that being said I'm not really into any sports that don't have 2 wheels, a fast engine, and overwhelming chance of injury. (motogp, superbike, motocross.)
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock
i live in Australia and i play baseball. Im not in the city but we still have a pretty good competition, in fact i have 2 play tommorw err... today in about 8hours, god i gotta sleep. Well i dont know about America but 2 day i turned 16 and im old enuff 2 play mens (which ive been doin all season) and can pitch 120 to 125K/ph, is that decent in the U.S. with the stronger competition and all or is it sissy?
JudgeDredd1824
+32|6656|Wigan an proud of it mate !

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Whittsend - About the "most valuable sport" thing, firstly, it is typical American attitude to judge success by money, it's the first language over there; secondly I've read that article and no where does it say that, it only compares it financially to the other 3 American Sports.  The only comparison to football is how the clubs in England can all compete whereas in the NFL only the rich ones survive (sounds good money management eh?). .
How true.... I don't mind watching American Football, Baseball or even Basketball. As a Brit living in Texas for 6 years, I don't have much option if I need a "sport fix". That said, when a club's success is measured by how much money they generate, the sport becomes secondary, and the team should all pack up and become stock market accountants or something. Making money for the team's survival is fine, but when it becomes the ONLY reason, then quit and go play the stock market, there's more money, and no-one pretends to be anything other than a money grabbing twat.

There are still some genuine sportsmen in the big American sports, just look at Brett Favre. Solid team player, family man, overcomes adversity (Dad died, wife with cancer etc) and still a great role model. On the other hand, you get the fekkin premadonna's (not mentioning any names but see who Dallas picked up this year) who think they ARE the team and that they can do/say what they want and get paid stupid amounts of money for it. Great advert for more chlorine in the gene pool of you ask me (tosspot).

Look at little old Wigan, finished 10th in the premiership. Bout a decade or so ago, they were non-league. They have a fraction of the money the MU's and Liverpool's of the world do, but they still kicked ass. What they do have is determination, skill and heart. Thats what sport is about...NOT money.
As for Baseball etc being Olympic sports....... WHY??? (and that includes footie too), the Olympics have all become about money too, sad sad sad. Its supposed to be a amateur (unpaid) event where talent rules over $$$$. Pah, big bag of crap now if u ask me.

back to the original post, American sports are not crap... Its the people running those sports that are wankers. If it wasn't for those twats, then Baseball, American Football etc, would be fun to watch and play, and be a great addition to the "world" of sports.

And btw, the comment about the US wanting to be the best is somewhat true, that's probably why they don't take part in much that would actually pit them against a real world stage. But again, this is so the fekkers in charge can milk the average Joe US citizen out of their hard earned dosh. Case in point,  not too many sports here (US) can end in a draw. Especially at Pro level. Why? to push for that win, to generate more money money money.
Whats wrong with 2 evenly matched teams ending in a draw??? Nothing, it just shows that the sport is the important thing, not the money.
=DBD=TITAN126
+5|6785
I've watched American football, and I've watched European football ("soccer" to us). I'm sorry, but for me there is no comparison. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I just feel like American football is so much more action-packed than European football. European football reminds me a lot of hockey. You sit through a whole game, and the score is still 0-0.

I admit, I am partially biased on this. I was raised with a football (American) in one hand and basketball in the other. "Soccer" was never big in my family.
BlokieBF2
+11|6654
basketball was "invented" by a CANADIAN and he introduced it at Stanford University
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6760|MA, USA

jord wrote:

I love the UK, but for a Brit to criticize American cars is HIGHLY amusing.  Do you know how many British owned car companies there are?  None.  Every one of them was poorly managed and operated, and turned into merge bait for foreign companies.
You do make fast cars i must admit,but isn't TVR still located in Blackpool,England? We used to make quality cars like Jags,Astin Martin and if i'm not mistaken Rolls Royces,if only we didn't sell them to overseas.Anyway Italy is still car capital for me.
You might be right about TVR.  If so, I stand corrected.  Even so, the point still holds.

There used to be plenty of British cars, and I have always been a fan of them...but it was like being a Red Sox fan before 2004.  Heartbreaking.  Apart from the Rolls/Bently/Aston Martin (which were all of exceptional quality, with a price tag to match), most British cars (that we got in the US) broke down a lot and were expensive to repair.  The Jags were my particular favorite...and were particularly heartbreaking.

Please don't take this the wrong way.  As I noted before, I have lived in the UK and really like it there.  It's a great country, but on the whole, your auto industry has had a tough time.  The American Auto industry is having some tough times now too, especially GM.  Still, if you are a fan of driving, you have to appreciate driving 425 Cubic Inches (7 Liters) of Detroit steel down a deserted highway!

Having said that, I'll have to agree with you...if I could have any car I wanted, it would be a Ferrari (a buddy of mine has one...one ride and I was sold.  There's only one word for it: WOW!).  Italians know how to put passion into a car.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6747|Houston, TX

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

What they do have is determination, skill and heart. Thats what sport is about...NOT money.
I agree with you 100%.  In order to combat the money driven sports machine, alot of my friends and I have taken a liking to high school football games.  We visit and watch some teams for consecutive years to see the development of the player's skill.  Of course, this viewpoint is tarred by the fact that I live in Texas.  It's jarring to think about what some towns do during football season down here.  It's a pretty big thing...

KJ

@ whittsend - Italian cars = passion. I concur. (as I drool over the thought of tearing up a Swiss switchback in a Ferrari)

Last edited by Kung Jew (2006-06-02 09:50:38)

Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6808|Orlando, FL - Age 43

BlokieBF2 wrote:

basketball was "invented" by a CANADIAN and he introduced it at Stanford University
The 'CANADIAN' was working in the United States (Springfield, MA.) when he invented it. And no, it was introduced at the YMCA International Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts..not Stanford

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Naismith.htm

An interesting side note is that it is claimed that Dr. Naismith also introduced the use of the helmet in American football.

Last edited by Darth_Fleder (2006-06-02 09:54:19)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard