Announcement

Major changes have been made site wide. If you experience problems, please send tazz. a PM.
unnamednewbie13
+2,012|6253|USA

I just read the synopsis, holy crap.

Puts a random video game tiff every decade or so in perspective.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-24 02:53:55)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,789|5587|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

tarantino as a director
Has he ever done anything which was not derivative?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+487|2934
his most famous movie is called 'pulp fiction' and he is an enthusiast in the grindhouse genre of movies. the pulpiness is kind of the whole point, dilbert. imagine calling the director of pulp fiction 'derivative'. the DERIVATIVENESS IS THE WHOLE POINT.

he has made quite a few original movies, in my opinion. i'm not a huge tarantino fan or anything, but i'm glad that directors like him and scorsese exist as counterweights to the offal we are regularly served by all-dominating disney studios and marvel franchises. compared to those blandishments these guys are visionary auteurs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,012|6253|USA

I think in an interview he said he wants the last movie he makes to be an original work.
uziq
+487|2934
it’s a weird flex to enjoy comic book movies and genre fiction (i.e. sci fi and fantasy) and to then complain about a lack of originality. there’s a lot of talented artists (or craft people, if you want to insist on a distinction) working in established seams and forms.
unnamednewbie13
+2,012|6253|USA

There's this dynamic at Marvel now I guess where prospective directors who grew up with the comic books are considered "red flags" and, er, too chained to the material. "We want people who are able make something that works as a movie!" to paraphrase, whatever that sentiment's supposed to mean. So I guess Marvel gets directors with no love for the movie they're making? Mocking regard is the best they can do? Output: mediocre, cynical, unwatchable comic book movies that even comic book nerds complain about.

Side-note:

On June 3, 2022, Sony announced the film would return to 1,000 theaters weeks after its initial theatrical and digital release. This was largely attributed to the film's influx in attention from internet memes in the weeks prior.[106] This decision was also met with criticism from various outlets, which speculated that the release was because Sony was unaware that the internet trend was not due to legitimate popular admiration towards the film.[107][108] Upon its re-release the film performed very poorly, making only $85,000 on the day it was released, with many outlets claiming the film bombed for a second time.[109][110] After a dismal $300,000 weekend performance in its re-release—a $289 per-theater average—Sony pulled the film entirely from theaters.[111][5]
How the #*& do big companies with resources like this get caught with their pants down so often on reading public mood? Hire some gen-zs to give you a clue ffs. Just picturing a boardroom of boomers looking like a bunch of deer in the headlights.

"How do you do, fellow kids" energy.

e: I'd like to know what tax breaks were involved.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-24 07:05:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard