Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

it's funny how one of the richest nations in the history of human civilization considers it 'normal' to have its majority of working people in effective penury. unable to pay for gas bills.

meanwhile france, next door, managed to keep their annual energy price rise to 4%. in england it's 300%.

i wonder why? oh, yes, dilbert has the answer: 'the UK had nice things once as a blip'.

truly you are a fucking retard.
Erm, energy costs in France have typically been much higher than all their neighbours for about half a century since they rely largely on nuclear power.

This measure is temporary.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy … -official/
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
LMAO

uziq
+492|3422
yeah i linked that above. galling.

‘get brexit done’. ‘levelling up the north’. two grand frauds.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It again raises the question - how does someone so stupid get a degree from Oxferd?
Larssen
+99|1857
He probably graduated there 20 years ago, how is it still relevant.

Playing devil's advocate, being evil doesn't mean you're not smart. No one contends that Putin isn't intelligent.

Last edited by Larssen (2022-08-06 15:25:57)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

it's funny how one of the richest nations in the history of human civilization considers it 'normal' to have its majority of working people in effective penury. unable to pay for gas bills.

meanwhile france, next door, managed to keep their annual energy price rise to 4%. in england it's 300%.

i wonder why? oh, yes, dilbert has the answer: 'the UK had nice things once as a blip'.

truly you are a fucking retard.
Erm, energy costs in France have typically been much higher than all their neighbours for about half a century since they rely largely on nuclear power.

This measure is temporary.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy … -official/
the energy costs are not 'much higher'. british people are now expected to spend 10–20% of their total salaries on energy bills.

increases are 'inevitable' but the fact is that france's rise this year is 4%. the UK, thanks to gutless regulators/politicians, have just seen a a triple rise in the energy cap price.

median salary in the UK is about £25k, depending on your source. energy bills are forecasted to be up to £3500 per year.

france's energy bills are NOT more expensive. that's just plain wrong. pointing out that energy sourced from nuclear has a higher cost per kW/hr than north sea oil is a total canard in this discussion. the price of energy is set by many more factors than the cost-of-production.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-06 23:38:55)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

It again raises the question - how does someone so stupid get a degree from Oxferd?
what does someone's intellectual competence have to do with their ideology and politics?

most of the techbro libertarian zanies out of silicon valley are incredibly intelligent and credentialled with all the right scrolls from stanford, harvard/yale, MIT, etc. their political vision is still totally toxic and anti-social.

in fact, you could probably argue that there's a tendency amongst 'elites' to dehumanize people less fortunate, and less intelligent, than themselves.

oxford doesn't teach compassion or ethics, dilbert.

your fixation with people's undergraduate BA's is tendentious and more than a little kooky.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

oxford doesn't teach compassion or ethics, dilbert.
That wasn't the question

The question really is how do Britain's elite private schools and its 3rd rated University manage to let through someone and give them a degree who is so stupid or unable to learn that maybe you shouldn't always blurt out whatever you're thinking.
uziq
+492|3422
rishi was a fulbright scholar to stanford. i don’t think his intelligence is really disputed in this conversation.

again: someone’s political ideas have nothing to do with their intelligence. politics is as much about belief as reason.

in terms of blurting out the wrong things: well that didn’t happen, did it? excepting the fact that everyone is prone to gaffes and PR meltdowns, regardless of intelligence, rishi was saying the exact right thing for his audience at the moment. that’s what a large part of politics is, no? pandering to your audience? rishi is just telling the monied conservative party members of the south what they want to hear: more money in their pockets and to hell with the great unwashed.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-07 00:21:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the energy costs are not 'much higher'. british people are now expected to spend 10–20% of their total salaries on energy bills.

increases are 'inevitable' but the fact is that france's rise this year is 4%. the UK, thanks to gutless regulators/politicians, have just seen a a triple rise in the energy cap price.

median salary in the UK is about £25k, depending on your source. energy bills are forecasted to be up to £3500 per year.

france's energy bills are NOT more expensive. that's just plain wrong. pointing out that energy sourced from nuclear has a higher cost per kW/hr than north sea oil is a total canard in this discussion. the price of energy is set by many more factors than the cost-of-production.
Historically France has used a lot of nuclear and not much gas, so when the gas price goes up it doesn't affect them too much.
That and the govt has put a temporary subsidy in place whereas Britain hasn't, this isn't complicated.

So median income is about what I was earning in my first salaried job? Crikey.

The UK is coming out of the blip and reverting to people spending 33% of their income on housing, 33% on energy, 33% on food.
Of course the rest they can spend as they please.

Here is some of the problem

https://www.keycurrency.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/GBP-to-EURO-Chart.png

The British economy is completely fucked at this point, years and years of unproductive spending and lack of forethought have put it there.
There's no magicking away 20-30 years of failure.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

rishi was a fulbright scholar to stanford. i don’t think his intelligence is really disputed in this conversation.

again: someone’s political ideas have nothing to do with their intelligence. politics is as much about belief as reason.

in terms of blurting out the wrong things: well that didn’t happen, did it? excepting the fact that everyone is prone to gaffes and PR meltdowns, regardless of intelligence, rishi was saying the exact right thing for his audience at the moment. that’s what a large part of politics is, no? pandering to your audience? rishi is just telling the monied conservative party members of the south what they want to hear: more money in their pockets and to hell with the great unwashed.
Did it not occur to him that the people he was speaking to might speak to someone else?
Or that someone could be filming?
Or that it was a really fucking dumb thing to say?

Maybe he could have taken his cue from Spartacus standing up and saying "I am Spartacus", I'm sure there's something in history which covers it.
uziq
+492|3422
more than 4 million households are on course to spend a quarter of their net income on energy.
dilbert: the UK only had nice things as a blip. it is writ. also: france has nuclear which costs a lot!
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Did it not occur to him that the people he was speaking to might speak to someone else?
Or that someone could be filming?
Or that it was a really fucking dumb thing to say?

Maybe he could have taken his cue from Spartacus standing up and saying "I am Spartacus", I'm sure there's something in history which covers it.
what if i told you … the only people who have a say in the leadership contest are 160,000 monied southerners.

from the outside sunak and truss appear to be in arms race to say the most insane right-wing things possible. promising the earth and all the rest of it. but it’s not the general public who will decide who becomes the next PM, is it? it’s the hardline conservative core.

short sighted? sure. but they’re looking at their job for the next 2 years.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the UK only had nice things as a blip.
Maybe you should try reading a history book.

Britain has peaked and is now going backwards

https://images.theconversation.com/files/405452/original/file-20210609-14790-wjivy8.png?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=1000&fit=clip

^ And that isn't adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-08-07 00:39:22)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

the UK only had nice things as a blip.
Maybe you should try reading a history book.

Britain has peaked and is now going backwards

https://images.theconversation.com/files/405452/original/file-20210609-14790-wjivy8.png?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=1000&fit=clip
oh you’re so nearly there, darling boy.

pointing out that france subsidise their energy prices: um, what the hell do you think i’m gesturing towards?! i am precisely talking about the possible means for a state to arrange its energy provision.

you’re very good at linking graphs you just found on google images 30 seconds ago. but why do they never have axis labels? do better.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-07 00:39:47)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Subsidise with what - where are you going to take the money from?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

what if i told you … the only people who have a say in the leadership contest are 160,000 monied southerners.

from the outside sunak and truss appear to be in arms race to say the most insane right-wing things possible. promising the earth and all the rest of it. but it’s not the general public who will decide who becomes the next PM, is it? it’s the hardline conservative core.

short sighted? sure. but they’re looking at their job for the next 2 years.
Not sure if they will prefer two more years of free-money insanity or the next election.

If the next election is a foregone loss - yeah I dunno.
uziq
+492|3422
i love that your argument is that a G7 country that is posting record profits in its private sector should ‘naturally’ revert to a state of affairs in which the majority of the population have to worry about whether to put the heating on or buy food. one of the richest societies on Earth. but britain is ‘going backwards’ and it’s inevitable that the majority of her people should subsist on emergency rations. there is no other way!!!
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Subsidise with what - where are you going to take the money from?
where does the french state get its money from? wow this is advanced stuff. why is it that certain states can bring their energy sector under the control of the government but others are fleeced by a cabal of corporate profiteers?

maybe you should go to stanford on the fulbright. you’re a political genius.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You need to actually answer the question.
uziq
+492|3422
i agree. there is no other way to provide energy other than being beholden to private corporations who post record profits in a generational cost of living crisis. no ways for a government to intervene.

it’s not an accident that you’re bragging about your fossil fuel dividends, is it? do you blame the single fathers and struggling working folk to compensate for your moral bankruptcy? is this some sort of psychological dodge?

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-07 00:57:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So what is your actual plan?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
At this point you sound like Liz Truss

"I don't have any ideas, but trust me and I'll have some soon"
uziq
+492|3422
what was france's plan in response to the crisis? they've just made moves to acquire the small minority stake - 16% - of their national energy infrastructure that was previously private. soon it will be fully state-owned.

you were missing that rather obvious fact in your 'well, ackshually' posts about the way the french arrange and pay for their energy, weren't you?

make u think. there are alternative forms of energy supply and ownership that aren't all about delivering dividends to cuckolds in adelaide.
uziq
+492|3422
quick, go and do another google images search for a graph!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard