Gone Forever
+634|3689
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
dumb.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't know what the heck that video was. Hard to tell if it making fun of racism, or the topic of racism. Every scene with tusken raiders though makes Star Wars frankly more embarrassing than it already is (goodness, the stereotypes in Phantom Menace alone were never going to age well).

Star Wars content peaked with Robot Chicken. Better Star Wars games have probably been canceled than the movies they're based on (RIP Jedi Knight and KotoR sequels), some in part thanks to Disney wanting to focus on Star Wars 7. I'm so glad we got that and fan-favorites like the punching-bag Battlefront II, rather than 1313 or First Assault slash-s.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Star Wars content peaked with Episode IV, which for me was Episode I

I was fucking there man.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Psh. It was episode 4 right there in the opening crawl. That wasn't something they added to the special edition.

When I say "peaked," I mean Robot Chicken was like a traffic cone plunked in the middle of a pothole.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-07-26 03:33:09)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Psh. It was episode 4 right there in the opening crawl.
Thats not how I remember it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Psh. It was episode 4 right there in the opening crawl.
Thats not how I remember it.
Grab an old, pre-SE VHS and see for yourself. I definitely remember people joking about it in the 80s. "What happened to 1-3?"

In 2000 there was something in the short-lived pipeline for 2061 and 3001, something I would have much rather seen than Star Wars 7+.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE - OPENING CRAWL
In the original May 1977 release of Star Wars, the opening crawl did not feature an Episode number or the subtitle “A New Hope.” Those would be added with the film’s April 10, 1981, theatrical re-release.
https://www.starwars.com/video/star-war … ning-crawl
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I don't know what the heck that video was. Hard to tell if it making fun of racism, or the topic of racism.
Probably a bit of both.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Ugh it's like the worst of film school.
uziq
+492|3422
stuff is categorically not funny. in fact, it is, as the kid's say, mid and cringe.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDnFYu91vY

STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE - OPENING CRAWL
In the original May 1977 release of Star Wars, the opening crawl did not feature an Episode number or the subtitle “A New Hope.” Those would be added with the film’s April 10, 1981, theatrical re-release.
https://www.starwars.com/video/star-war … ning-crawl
Whatever. Point conceded on the crawl at least, even if it was on my VHS copy. From screenrant:

The massive success of Star Wars has developed into eleven movies and counting, but George Lucas made the strange choice to begin with Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. Lucas had a bold and complicated idea to take science fiction movies in a new direction, but the long story he had prepared needed a place to start. He chose to begin in the middle of his planned saga, even though Lucas himself thought the first Star Wars movie would be a failure - so much so that he was hiding out from his probably failed movie in Hawaii when he learned it was a hit. After that, he had a chance to continue with both sequels and prequels. Now the Star Wars universe is so full that Disney abandoned Star Wars episode numbers entirely, but it all started with the movie that should have been the fourth installment of the series.

Lucas had written a single epic story that encompassed the entire original trilogy, but that script was too burdensome to turn into a single movie. Instead, he split his script into three parts. The first act became A New Hope, the second The Empire Strikes Back, and the third Return of the Jedi. This explains why the original trilogy’s installments flow into each other so naturally; they were originally a single story. Lucas had also planned an entire backstory for that script that later became the prequel series, and Lucas continued plotting ideas for a Star Wars sequel trilogy different from the one Disney eventually made. However, before he could get into the rest of the story, he had to pick the best beginning for audiences.
It sounds plodding just reading about the process.

CBR:

I'm sure you can find all sorts of information about this in books (gasp) or wookiepedia or maybe even on the official Star Wars site somewhere. Your 1970s movie experience was a prototype!

If you want to be the king of Star Wars on BF2S you're honestly welcome to the title, uncontested. A throne of rotten banana peels.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I literally don't give a toss about Star Wars, but real world facts are important.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Now you care about facts?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It seems like facts are in support of Star Wars being considered episode 4 before the movie even came out, regardless of it not being in the cinematic crawl. What a hill for Dilbert to select, though. I don't remember ever having argued with anyone about the Star Wars crawl before, so new experience.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am not crazy about the mayor of NYC but he is right about how drill music is hurting NYC.

The lyrics of drill tend to be violent and very gritty...Drill lyrics typically reflect life on the streets, and tend to be gritty, violent, realistic and nihilistic.
This kind of music is destroying our neighborhoods. They are destroying the greatest city in the world.

How did we go from this

to this?

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

lol, there were plenty of scandalous, considered-explicit songs from the old-timey days.
uziq
+492|3422
obvious troll.

why fall for dumb culture wars bullshit? your mayor out of good ideas and policy already?

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-27 18:31:09)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I really hate that style of interview, the accusing "so you don't think, blah blah blah?" I've been asked stuff that way on numerous occasions, framed in such a manner where to disagree with it would put you in opposition of a Thing That Is Known.
uziq
+492|3422
my guy that interview is from an era of television when women were seldom allowed to speak.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

??? how does this come into play with what I said? The man pretty much does the same thing, by the way, "you wouldn't say that blah blah blah?" I just think there are less obnoxious ways to frame questions in an interview/discussion, or even in a bitter argument.
uziq
+492|3422
i mean to say, yes, interviewing technique and media polish weren't what they should have been in the early 20th century.

you should try listening to a radio show from ca. 1950 or before. it's like listening to a different civilisation.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Oh, yeah. I spent a lot of time watching and listening to that stuff as a kid. Had the privilege of living not too far from a public library. Tons of documentaries and older shows on tape, too. Ad compilations were especially amusing.

I will have to note though that the above clip is positively polite compared to the talk radio in recent decades.
uziq
+492|3422
yeah, old-school patrician attitudes at least were well-mannered. today it's vulgarity and bigotry all the way down.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
While at the charity event I spoke of, I met a lady with the Members of Color committee. We spoke and came to an agreement regarding how the (new) MoC should move forward.

The MoC is less than a year old. I had the opportunity to spearhead it but didn't want the responsibility or to alienate white coworkers. It seems like they haven't done too much since then except meet twice. I skipped one meeting because I didn't think highly of the initiative. I decided to get involved now.

The state is already majority minority. Whites must make up 20% or less than the school district. Teaching and support staff is starting to become more diverse. The Board of Education is also very diverse due to being elected officials. The administration is the last domino to fall.

Admin is overwhelmingly white. Like almost totally. Huge lag between who makes up the district and who runs it. The MoC member I spoke to also felt that needed to change. So we are going to use the MoC to get minorities into leadership positions. We are going to see if we create links between the MoC and NAACP to further that goal. I have a plan about how to go about it.

The plan has two steps.

(1) First identify the positions and who is holding them. ID how long that person has been with the district and their age. With this information you can start to piece together what positions will become available and when.

(2) The second piece is to ID individuals capable of filling those roles. The board has said before that "no minorities are applying." We need to find minorities who want to be leaders and go about making sure they have the right certificates and their paperwork is in order. Once we have a list of MoC/NAACP approved candidates, we can start to organize around getting them into the positions that mapped out.

A few thoughts about this...

First, this is what I assume the Irish and Italians did in their day when they realized that the WASP didn't have the numbers to hold onto their position. We see how that went. I think this could work out.

Secondly, I wouldn't be helping organize the MoC/NAACP bloc if there was an easier path to a leadership position. I think this is a real example of elite overproduction.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_o … structure.

I don't mind being the token minority leader among the whites but if I can't get into the existing power structure I will work to change it.

Finally, I don't expect a change of admin is going to change things for the better. Probably for the worse as institutional knowledge is lost.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_memory

But it is better to reign in hell than you know.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard