Announcement

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+785|6012|United States of America
I need a new 2 or 3 TB external hard drive for storage and have been outta the market for basically a decade. Any suggestions or endorsements from y'alls experiences?

Last edited by DesertFox- (2022-06-02 11:53:42)

unnamednewbie13
+1,978|6099|USA

Answer will change depending on if you already have an enclosure, I guess. If 3TB is all you're looking for and you want some (local) redundancy, RAID1 NAS with decent heat dispersion would be pretty neato. Could also get a couple portable 2TB SSDs for under the cost of a single portable 4TB SSD.

Seagate has a 14TB, 8TB for $300, $200 respectively, choice of SATA & USB both on the same models.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+565|3047
Do you need one that is portable and can easily fit in your microwave incase the FBI comes or do you have important files you need to keep secure? I have a QNAP 4 disc bay with 4 x 8 TB HD in Raid 1.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+785|6012|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Do you need one that is portable and can easily fit in your microwave incase the FBI comes or do you have important files you need to keep secure? I have a QNAP 4 disc bay with 4 x 8 TB HD in Raid 1.

Always a good option.

I don't have any enclosures currently, but nor do I need something super portable to bring a bunch of places with me. Essentially I want to replace the 1TB WD external that's going on 14 years now and give me some space for expansion, but I can't even fathom I'll need 8TB or more anytime soon, even with general size bloat.
unnamednewbie13
+1,978|6099|USA

IMO if you've kept one hard drive for 14 years, might as well aim for a price point before they generally take the sharp turn upwards. Who knows what your needs will be in the next decade.
unnamednewbie13
+1,978|6099|USA

Random thought, the 'night light' button in the notifications bar is easily one of the best features in Windows 10, working on late night documents.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard