DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I need a new 2 or 3 TB external hard drive for storage and have been outta the market for basically a decade. Any suggestions or endorsements from y'alls experiences?

Last edited by DesertFox- (2022-06-02 11:53:42)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Answer will change depending on if you already have an enclosure, I guess. If 3TB is all you're looking for and you want some (local) redundancy, RAID1 NAS with decent heat dispersion would be pretty neato. Could also get a couple portable 2TB SSDs for under the cost of a single portable 4TB SSD.

Seagate has a 14TB, 8TB for $300, $200 respectively, choice of SATA & USB both on the same models.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Do you need one that is portable and can easily fit in your microwave incase the FBI comes or do you have important files you need to keep secure? I have a QNAP 4 disc bay with 4 x 8 TB HD in Raid 1.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Do you need one that is portable and can easily fit in your microwave incase the FBI comes or do you have important files you need to keep secure? I have a QNAP 4 disc bay with 4 x 8 TB HD in Raid 1.

Always a good option.

I don't have any enclosures currently, but nor do I need something super portable to bring a bunch of places with me. Essentially I want to replace the 1TB WD external that's going on 14 years now and give me some space for expansion, but I can't even fathom I'll need 8TB or more anytime soon, even with general size bloat.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

IMO if you've kept one hard drive for 14 years, might as well aim for a price point before they generally take the sharp turn upwards. Who knows what your needs will be in the next decade.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Random thought, the 'night light' button in the notifications bar is easily one of the best features in Windows 10, working on late night documents.
uziq
+492|3423
mac OSX automatically changes the colour temperature and profile of your screen according to day/night cycle. it's a feature shared with iphones.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That stuff has been spread around on PC for awhile. I recall it from video card software suites, monitor software, and various shaders. Honestly this stuff should have been in some of the earliest versions of Windows. Imagine the eye damage over time from black text on white background on a desktop CRT, alone.

But what can you expect from a company that still has a miserable digital storefront right even in the 2020s.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Do you guys change your desktop background? I stopped doing it. My home PC and my MacBook both have the default wallpaper and I am just not bothered by it. But someone pointed it out to me.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
Yes they're a rotation of photos I've taken.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Haven't used my desktop in years but it still has the same background as the day I brought it into this world.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
My work laptop also has my photos as backgrounds. And my laptop/desktop are synced through onedrive
uziq
+492|3423
you sync your desktop photos to the cloud? nice job, idiot, you’re practically creating a drought in italy.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
That means I should visit, it poured my first day there
uziq
+492|3423
all the rivers have dried up there this year. experiencing a major drought. experts claim it’s because the residents of rome have been downloading too much.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I wonder how much power Dilbert carelessly consumes with storing and transferring photos of cats. 2.2MB is nothing to sneeze at these days!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Eyeballing a 43" 'aorus' monitor. While I don't technically need a new monitor, it's a 4k, 144hz IPS with 1ms response. I haven't explored the rest of the numbers too in depth, or looked into component sourcing, but this thing is under $700 rn and putting me in the mood for shopping.

Ideally, the local Best Buy would have one on display.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

That does look pretty good, though it's pretty much a TV at that point...

I have a 49" Ultrawide Samsung G9 which is fantastic for multitasking, the only downside is it's not 4K
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

I still just do the old fashioned 3 monitor approach. 2 regular monitors side by side and then a 3rd positioned vertically for reading documents.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Still quite nice.

I estimate 43" is hovering around as much as I can get away on even my ample, angled desk space. Annoyingly, the computer part of it is lower than the overlapping spread portion, which makes accommodating large corner-stand monitors cumbersome. Arm mount directly into the wall would be the best, if it could be mounted. Didn't even look into it that far.

I have a 32" now and don't really want to size down at this point.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

Yeah it's got a VESA mount, I use an Ergotron HX on mine, probably one of the only arms to *just* about cope with the weight of the monitor, but can move and twist to just about any position you want
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
uziq
+492|3423

Dauntless wrote:

but can move and twist to just about any position you want
ooooouhhhhhhh bebe
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

pirana6 wrote:

Finally upgraded to Win11.

Like most upgrades these days, there's no HUGE difference, just some differently shaped app tiles. The biggest thing isn't the 4 clicks it takes to move the start menu back to the left corner, it's the fact that you can't group your pinned apps or change their sizes. I used to use my pinned section of my menu with 4-5 large tiles for my main programs (browser, music app, etc) then another 10 smaller tiles for my less frequently used programs. Now there's not only 0 customization with size, but you can't even group or order them, you just tell tell Windows which programs you want pinned and they all go into a bucket of pinned tiles that look like shit and have no rhyme or reason or organization. Fucking garbage design.
Latest update now lets you both order and group icons/tiles in the start menu. It's still not quite as nice as Win10, but its a huge leap forward from the first Win11 release.

Now if we could just get the right-click-taskbar-for-task-manager back, I'd be content. There is a shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + Esc, but in order to press those at the same time I gotta contort my hand like I have palsy and it's not comfortable
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I am not feeling super enthused about the eventual move to Win11. The more I think about it, the more I want to just hang up the PC for private use and stick to MacOS.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I use a PC for home and I (am forced to use) a Mac for work. I love neither but it is what it is.

When Ubuntu works well enough (any minute nowTM) for my needs, I'll just move there. Or SteamOS or whatever

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard