Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Gut feeling - No, it'll be a career blocker and soak up a hell of a lot of your time.
Don't reject it, push it down the road, agree to think about it in a year or two.
^ what dilbs said. never flat out reject, just always be in the middle until you see a good opening. but being a union rep, you'll be an unpaid therapist half the time.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Being union rep will put you in conflict with management.

If you want to be in management you don't want to be a thorn in their side from now on.

Politely wriggle out of it or push it down the road, at worst take on some non-rep type union admin role like ordering  the bagels for the union meetings which isn't going to lead to conflict with the people you need to promote you into their fold.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
First day of WFH ended at 1 PM. Feel like shit. Work wasn't bad but something about being indoors all day and not seeing people is tiring and depressing.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
when i was WFH full-time i made sure that i either took a long walk/a jog at some point during the day or at least did some exercise in the house. it's good to feel like you've achieved something specifically physical. otherwise you're just sat on your ass all day watching screens and watching time tick by.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think the best I managed on Friday WFH day was five hours, plus a few on Sunday which just about made a full day's work.
It didn't help I didn't care about what I was doing.

Also didn't help this happened half the day

https://i.imgur.com/yccRpT5.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Very nice wood floors. Also a Persian rug.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Today I hate-read a piece of absolute trash trying to stir up more generational strife with sweeping characterizations of multiple generations. A bit fun to laugh at.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

DesertFox- wrote:

Today I hate-read a piece of absolute trash trying to stir up more generational strife with sweeping characterizations of multiple generations. A bit fun to laugh at.
I took a peek at who the author is after I saw that pretentious reference to the British Raj. It is Joel Stein. I hate that guy. One of the reasons I no longer take time magazine seriously. Back into early 2010's Time gave him a page to write his opinion or whatever pieces at the very end of the magazine. I thought he was a pretentious and annoying neurotic Jew jackass back then.

Newbie wrote:

You could criticize him without being anti-Semitic
He hates Hindus. Me hating him is the circle of life

In July 2010, Stein wrote a humor column for Time in which he expressed his discomfort at the impact immigration of Indians has had on his hometown of Edison, New Jersey. Stein initially took to Twitter to defend himself with a tweet saying "Didn't meant to insult Indians with my column this week. Also stupidly assumed their emails would follow that Gandhi non-violence thing."[13] Time and Stein subsequently publicly apologized for the article. Stein's apology read: "I truly feel stomach-sick that I hurt so many people. I was trying to explain how, as someone who believes that immigration has enriched American life and my hometown in particular, I was shocked that I could feel a tiny bit uncomfortable with my changing town when I went to visit it. If we could understand that reaction, we'd be better equipped to debate people on the other side of the immigration issue."[14] United States Senator from New Jersey Bob Menendez submitted a letter to Time stating that the column "not only fell terribly flat but crossed the lines of offensiveness toward a particular community that has dealt with violent hate crimes in the past. Mr. Stein's mocking allusions to revered deities in the Hindu religion are particularly reprehensible."[15] Kal Penn, actor and former associate director in the White House Office of Public Engagement, also criticized the column for its portrayal of Indian Americans.[16]

Slate magazine writer Tom Scocca wrote of the column, "To a charitable reader, it's clear that the piece was trying not to be offensive. Stein's description of his childhood small-town idyll before the mass immigration is deliberately fake-sentimental, describing lowlife white kids stealing things and getting drunk. He was trying to make more fun of white people than he made of Indian people." Nonetheless, Scocca wrote, many Indian-Americans received the column "as an unironic anti-immigrant rant."[17]
uziq
+492|3422
imagine being 50 years old and writing unsupported, fact-free fluff like that. that’s the guy’s life work. amazing.

columnist gigs in journalism are one of the last bastions of that ‘my dad knows someone on the board’ culture in journalism. it always boggles the mind how these hacks end up with valuable page space, normally being paid six figures per annum to file a weekly piece of insubstantiality about their kids’ schoolwork or something that annoyed them mildly that week. it’s a huge and depressing feature of even our ‘respected’ papers here.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-05 19:58:02)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's total garbage. I like this part.

The Times piece also cited my 2013 Time magazine cover story about millennials, whom I called the Me, Me, Me Generation. To which many millennials responded with angry emails explaining how the story didn’t pertain to them, explaining all the details about them that made them different.
Complaining about how millennials called you out on your article calling them, and younger people, self-centered and bratty.

"revel in millennial comeuppance"

r
o
f
l

I will add once again that some of the most annoying people I've worked with are gen-xers and boomers. Young people hardly have a monopoly on being difficult.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Guy is name dropping his "glory days" back at Time magazine. Probably the last article of his of note. I find it hard to believe Time magazine was enthusiastic about this author alienating young people just a year or two after pissing off all the Indians.

Actually I looked up his last article at time in 2017. This is the opening paragraph
Since my first column, 19 years ago, readers and co-workers have clamored to have me fired. The first time I visited TIME’s L.A. bureau, I saw one of my columns taped outside a science reporter’s door, with sentences crossed out by red Sharpie accompanied by the words “This is what TIME magazine has become!” When I introduced myself to Gore Vidal on a flight, he ranted about how TIME’s editor at the time, Walter Isaacson, had destroyed the magazine by bringing in solipsistic young people who write in first person. I nodded in agreement, thinking, Gore Vidal knows about me!
The article has a bunch of obnoxious name drops to people popular in 2017

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5 … 3famp=true

Considering my complaints about Time's person of the year you could rightfully assume I have some strong feelings about that magazine and it's decline.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Uzique wrote:

his column is satire. you clearly dont understand satire because you are a mule man
I get that it is satire. I just feel that it doesn't have a place in a magazine that also proudly considers itself a serious publication. "If you want to be considered a legit source, act with legitimacy"
uziq
+492|3422
i think he's shit. i don't like columnists, satirical/ironic or not. they are bloviating wastes of public space.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I feel like a number of writers use 'satire' and 'sarcasm' as a shield for when they're questioned about their toxic opinions. And then behind closed doors with their like-minded buddies (or on air with a like-minded host for the bolder ones), their nastiness flows without restriction.

I think the defense only works for so long before people think you actually mean it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
As a writer or satire or whatever, I can you: it is never totally satire. The article Desert Fox linked...the thing that made me look at the author was a reference to the British Raj. I looked to the article author to see if they were British. The British Raj is such an alien references to Americans. I spent a total of one day on it this year. And I vote democrat.

The stuff I linked from Wikipedia about his racism about Hindus must be swirling around his head if he referenced the British Raj. That means he looked it up and took some of that stuff away from it. He is an asshole who hides behind "it is satire", as you said. Don't trust those people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Is the 4th of July a real holiday? Should work be closed on that day? I think only Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and Easter are real holidays.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

What's your logic behind this most crude of takes?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Everyone in my old blue-C job was required to come in on MLK day. I had off like I do every other holiday. My old job only closed for the major holidays listed above. I don't totally recall their policy for the 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and President's Day.

I also had off from Dec. 23rd to Jan 3rd. It's strange to have to work between Christmas and New Years.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
2nd of 3 observations next week. The topic I have for it is the Pacific Theater of World War 2. The principal observing me is also "weird about World War 2". I beat he has some dope hats too.

Also being weird
https://youtu.be/7vjBW3XqCDI
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I just had the most bizarre job interview. Had a dude come for an open req.. Had a big taco bell cup with him when he came in. Spilled it in the lobby. Clearly full of vodka. Apparently he had worked here before as a temp. He spent 30 mins bitching and moaning about some of the employees here. Questioned the legal status of one of my employees. Said a couple others were secretly having an affair. That's where I ended it. request. By far the craziest interview I've ever been a part of.

Happy Friday!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I should do some of those.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I seek macbeth feedback on this post I found on social justice imgur:

Ask A Government Teacher: What is teaching like in the COVID era? wrote:

Usually I write posts on trending topics that have to do with, you guessed it, government. The Imgur community has been kind and supportive of my posts in regards to politics in the past so I'd like to draw attention to this issue, not because I'm struggling but because all educators, at least in the US, are struggling.

Thanks to a slew of attacks and now legal actions of a few newly empowered politicians nationwide, my profession has been dragged into the national spotlight and most unfortunately, into question. Since I imagine most of my readers have not been in a public school classroom in some time and while we were there most paid little attention to the big picture. Many of us probably had little sympathy for the teachers (don't feel bad, I didn't care for my teachers either and look how that turned out).

Anyway, in case you're curious what it's like teaching in 2022, read on but I'll warn you, it's not an uplifting read. I have been teaching for a decent number of years in a widely recognized district with a long history of strong support. Even so, every teacher, green and veteran, supports this claim: it's never been this bad.

Before I go any further, I feel it's important to mention that teachers are very highly trained professionals that DO NOT just recite information students need to know so we can get our paychecks. Modern teachers are carefully instructed on how to build relationships with their students to act as stewards of their well-being to guarantee the safest most supportive learning environment possible. A good teacher can tell when any student on their roster is going through something and what to do about it. In a lot of ways, teachers really are parents to over 130 students 8 hours a day 5 days a week. When something profound happens to our students, we share the experience, good or bad, and this part of our job NEVER stops. I'm not ashamed that I've needed to seek grief counseling this year. Bear that in mind as you read.

Many students hate us, more than ever before. Enough to physically attack us, to swear at us, call us racial, sexist or homophobic slurs. They threaten us and punch us when we enforce school rules or actually attack or steal from us just for fun thanks to the latest viral challenges. They cough in our faces, especially when they know we have immuno-compromised family members and laugh while doing it. 14 year olds throw temper tantrums when they fail, don't get to use their phones, or aren't able to listen to music. They storm out of classrooms, go to bathrooms where they vape, destroy soap/ paper towel dispensers, clog toilets and create Snapchats meant to bully and harass others. They bully classmates into doubting their existence then literally bully them to death (lost a student to suicide in November who was bullied to death). They do these things because there simply not enough school administrators or counselors or even teachers to properly address all these egregious "discipline" problems. The parents either consider it "not their problem" or they're overwhelmed themselves.

Since March 2020, a huge number of parents have called teachers lazy, ungrateful, over paid (average in my district is 48k) and under worked. They have demanded we be fired for teaching state approved standards, call us lying liberal communists (irony) when we teach history that doesn't align with the views of their favorite the disinforming celebrity. They demand that we be disciplined when we politely ask their children to wear masks so our families wouldn't become gravely ill. They have called us weak, vindictive and insecure when their children don't get what they honestly don't deserve. They have told us that we will give tests when they feel their child is ready and then blame us when their child fails. If this all wasn't bad enough, they accuse us of failing at our jobs because their children are out of control after over a year of being home alone in a critical stage in social development. They feel we should be able to wish away the steep declines in their children's mental health that has been declared a national health emergency (I lost another student to suicide last Xmas who felt cut off and alone).

Politicians are seizing on the toxic nationwide discord to gaslight constituents into believing teachers are out for themselves. They accuse teachers of teaching false narratives that just do happen to affect their agendas. They ban discomfort in history, a subject where billions have been starved, beaten, enslaved, diseased and murdered over the centuries. They threaten to take our hard earned licenses through email hotlines where people could easily report us just for doing our jobs. To bully us into their misguided line, they slash our funding further the pathetic amount it already is. They ban masks mandates because they know it gets the votes of parents who cannot relate to our fear of the virus; the fear of a strong likelihood of exposure that comes with being in close contact with over 130 young restless students in a small cinderblock classroom for 8 hours a day (and there are very few professions where so many people are so close together for so long).

In the words of Remarque, 'this is to be neither an accusation nor a confession' but to serve as an SOS to parents, current and future, and to fellow citizens that we are sinking and we desperately need help or at the very least support. Appreciate educators, we truly have children's best interests at heart.

TLDR- Teaching in 2020-22 has turned into a nightmare for educators.

A sincere thank you for reading this far. It is much appreciated.
As always, keep calm and We The People.

-Your local government teacher
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Melodramatic. It's not that bad. Get your vaccine and go to work.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Is this snuff?

Zero tolerance policies to some extent also at play here. I imagine none of the bystanders wanted to get suspended for the same duration as the fighters for jumping in to break it up.

The person ktfo, even if they were ambushed and didn't fight back, "suspension, scum!" Later (if they lived), "it says here you've been suspended for fighting, HMM!"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard