unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert: I know, cage fights!
2 hours, 53 minutes ago    Dilbert_X (1765)    DAST Chat    Stadium fights you moron - DX
Yes, I stand corrected. A bigger cage. So much better.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I have a better solution. We acquire more living space.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert: I know, cage fights!
2 hours, 53 minutes ago    Dilbert_X (1765)    DAST Chat    Stadium fights you moron - DX
Yes, I stand corrected. A bigger cage. So much better.
I've put forward a workable solution lets hear yours.

But we can't do anything about population because chinese and indians and pakistanis etc will select male children
They're doing it already, they have a massive surfeit of males. Besides Uighur rape camps and Hazara sex slaves is there a solution?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert: "arena battles to control the surplus male population garnered from bizarre policy is a workable solution. what's your workable solution?"

"Why don't you like my human sacrifice idea? What's your better idea?" I'm sorry but the burden of this death battles notion is entirely on you. Also you, "all this religious hoodoo is pretty bad. Anyway, let me tell you about my pseudoscientific opinions."

Finally, you have a strange fascination with wanting to adopt policies or behaviors from countries you endlessly criticize.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Forbes wrote:

Every new child brings another mouth to fill, to be sure, but every child also brings another brain that has almost unlimited capabilities.  When they are free, more people mean more ideas and more innovation.  Scrooge’s most blameworthy attribute is, unfortunately, shared by many self-styled humanitarians.  The evidence in support of the thesis that more people leads to more wealth is clear and nearly overwhelming.  Rather than waiting for people to die so that they can decrease the surplus population, we should be looking for better ways to align incentives so as to encourage more innovation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/ … 5c97445aea
uziq
+492|3422
more ‘wealth’ is a cringemaking way of looking at human life. how very forbesian.

it’s a fundamental critique of capitalism (forwarded by marx in the mid-1800s) that it is predicated upon infinite and limitless growth. that assumption, of ever increasing growth, new markets, new innovations, hence new profits, is extremely flawed and naive. you can’t have infinite growth on a finite planet.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wait, it seems like yesterday you were ridiculing me for Malthusian gloom-mongering.

Most people don't even attempt to use their brains, more people is not the solution.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert: "arena battles to control the surplus male population garnered from bizarre policy is a workable solution. what's your workable solution?"

"Why don't you like my human sacrifice idea? What's your better idea?" I'm sorry but the burden of this death battles notion is entirely on you. Also you, "all this religious hoodoo is pretty bad. Anyway, let me tell you about my pseudoscientific opinions."

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've put forward a workable solution lets hear yours.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

more ‘wealth’ is a cringemaking way of looking at human life. how very forbesian.
Right? But as robotic as "more people = more wealth" outlook is, it's at the very least more positive than Dilbert's "the only way forward is to turn the planet into Borderlands," which I'm still waiting for him to explain as a "workable solution." Deathmatches, what in the dystopian #*(&. Even Scrooge himself would probably raise an eyebrow.

Not that Dilbert himself would ever volunteer to jump into such a ring.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wait, it seems like yesterday you were ridiculing me for Malthusian gloom-mongering.

Most people don't even attempt to use their brains, more people is not the solution.
saying that capitalism's model of infinite growth/infinite expansion is fundamentally flawed is nothing like endorsing malthusian population doom-mongering, or their corollaries, eugenics and social engineering. you do realize that malthus and marx were writing roughly contemporarily, right, and were aware of the other's work? marx and engel both explicitly criticized malthus's 'population principle'.

if you read anything, you'd know this.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-18 03:44:38)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats very interesting, did they propose any solutions though?
uziq
+492|3422
did marx … and engels … propose anything?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

my head
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

did marx … and engels … propose anything?
The discussion is about Marx and Malthus.

From what I can see Malthus agrees with me.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
"My Korean School Lunch!! Free for all students"
https://preview.redd.it/4rkf7ww35oc81.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=17102425caf19b46ee2aa0bd3ace0d3123d373a6
Looks gross but big portions and probably healthy.
uziq
+492|3422
very healthy yes. lots of vits, minerals, anti-oxidants, etc. very low on wasteful fats. rice is about their only carbs and they eat it in small portions (and are plenty active anyway).

have to lol at the hotdog/mystery meats though. it’s one of the quirks of korean cuisine. they basically have adapted 1950s GI mess tin food into their ‘folk’ cuisine. there’s a ‘GI’ or ‘soldier’s stew’ here that literally has SPAM as its main ingredient (cf. hawaiian, pacific islander and phillipino diets, i guess).

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2050/08/Korean-Army-Stew-Budae-Jjigae-8.jpg

you can be having one of the nicest, freshest meals of your life, with all local korean ingredients, made with love in a tiny korean restaurant, and still be served as one of your side dishes this disgusting low-grade macaroni and cheese dish or something. it’s so funny.

these things are super popular in streetfood stalls.

https://www.foxyfolksy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/korean-corn-dog.jpg

funnily enough, most of the time the people i see queuing up for them are actual american soldiers.

anOtHer dAy iN a CloSeD heRmiT MoNoCuLtuRe

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-19 13:10:55)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Rice, seaweed and kimchi. A good lunch. Step up, gimbap roll with a pickled radish core, mung bean pancake. I buy seaweed by the box so it sometimes ends up in dishes you normally wouldn't expect seaweed to be in, that I wouldn't be confident in presenting to guests. Nori isn't bad in a sandwich or a burrito either. Even used it in leftover spaghetti sauce.

Posts are making me want to go restock soon.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

I could see it in a burrito or sandwich, but I wouldn't be able to get over the flavor in a spaghetti sauce.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Not in a high volume. I'll cut a square into strips and just add it into the sauce to liven up a reheating. It's not as bad as it sounds, but I'm used to experimenting with other kinds of vegetables too.

It's not an overwhelming flavor. The tomato sauce can easily compete.
uziq
+492|3422
when i first arrived here, the local health centre/authority sent me a big crate of korean food for my quarantine. included was a giant pallet of dried seaweed. probably more than i'd ever eaten theretofore at that point of my life. i really developed (had to) an appetite for it during that period. fond times, actually. nostalgic already.

normally have it in a bowl of ramyun noodles or a stew. or as a side with rice so that it's less boring.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dried seaweeds really are an amazing kind of food. You can do so much with it. yuuum

A hole in my cooking habits are noodles from scratch. I really should see about getting into doing that. Not as if there's a shortage of cooking channels to look over for that, either.
uziq
+492|3422
instant ramyun is obviously huge here, and that's fine when you're hungover or working from home (as i often am). the basic packets are suuuper cheap and it's easy to add 3-4 extra ingredients to bulk up the nutrition.

but it's actually cheaper to go out to a restaurant here than to buy groceries and fresh ingredients and do it yourself. there are some amazing japanese ramen places near me that will give you a huge bowl for about $5. totally authentic and no details missed. used to hit that up about 3 times a week in the autumn.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-19 14:13:07)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

I add dried seaweed to rice pretty regularly. Chop it up and add after the rice is done. Adds a nice little bit of flavor.

I too want to make my own noodles, just to understand how difficult it is. I don't currently have the counter space though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

have to lol at the hotdog/mystery meats though. it’s one of the quirks of korean cuisine. they basically have adapted 1950s GI mess tin food into their ‘folk’ cuisine. there’s a ‘GI’ or ‘soldier’s stew’ here that literally has SPAM as its main ingredient (cf. hawaiian, pacific islander and phillipino diets, i guess).
I like SPAM fried.

Also, I assume all mystery meat/hotdogs are pork.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I too want to make my own noodles, just to understand how difficult it is. I don't currently have the counter space though.
That's my excuse too, but all I'd really have to do is chuck a couple gadgets into a cabinet.

Roll it up, then cut strips that uncoil into noodles. Space efficient.

Backup excuse is time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard