SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I liked Final Fantasy Spirits Within. If you put the screenplay in front of me and asked if I would invest in a production of it...I would say no. Not sure why they went with a SciFi story about animism.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Okay finished the Resident Evil show. 4/10, Made no sense but I dig the video game style of anime even if it is still AnImE at heart.

I don't wish harm on anyone but if just one giant metropolis in China went Raccoon City that would be cool.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The first Army of the Dead spinoff is here. Army of Thieves. Looks awful but still looks better than another Fast and Furious movie. I will watch this.

Really looking forward to this television show. I don't own a cable box though. :\

Wow, what an interesting and new concept. Drug cartels and zombies.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You're doing a really bad job of laying off the zombie stuff (the reason you gave me for avoiding Zomboid). You just bought a computer's worth of components to drive your realistic arcadey-action zombie game, and now you're posting trailers to awful zombie TV.

Still, probably better than those shows like "she's a zombie but she got kind of better and now she's a dentist being discriminated against by human supremacists, balancing work with undeath with love" or "American Revolution, but zombie."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am waiting for the post-COVID 19 Zombie movies to feature MAGA people refusing to believe the Zombie apocalypse is real.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That's already in horrors and thrillers, just not specifically MAGA people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You don't want to see some anti-lockdown protesters get eaten by zombies they believe are a hoax?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

aren't zombies a hoax though? Maybe a never-ending diet of zombie schlock is what is causing the social decay to begin with. myt
uziq
+492|3423
haven't seen a single zombie thing since i guess the first few episodes of the walking dead.

haven't played a zombie thing since left 4 dead.

the whole thing is stale as fuck.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The Plandemic has been the greatest gift to the Zombie genre in decades. These are high times in the Zombie apocalypse media sphere.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Catching up on the newest season of Archer and it's pretty good again after it was awful gimmicky for a couple seasons.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Des - Three parter about Dennis Nilsen UK serial killer

8/10 Pretty good really.

Also reminded me how shit the early 80s were.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1858
Arcane

7/10

I want to give it an 8/10 because it's probably the first video game adaptation I've ever seen that's actually well made. It's genuinely decent/good. The animation is absolutely gorgeous and the story holds up well. Enjoyable to anyone watching it. The characters, themes, dialogue etc. aren't anything spectacular or new - it's a blend of stuff that you've all seen before many times probably. But the execution of it all is excellent. Every scene and interaction just works and shows that some genuine talented writers, filmmakers and artists are supporting the whole production. Looking forward to the next 3 episodes, and I wouldn't be surprised if this move is a succesful expansion of Riot's activities into yet more entertainment media.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-11-11 14:44:50)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Sonic was OK. The redesign looked more like him than the older footage. Well-made to the extent that it took a video game and made a more or less cohesive film. A bit of transformers syndrome though. Bunch of humans butting in where there didn't need to be humans. Sympathetic cop character at a weird time (2020). Hitman was ok as well. I think video game movies may have matured a bit more than live action adaptations of animes.
uziq
+492|3423
there are adverts for that arcane thing everywhere here. i've never played league of legends so i'll give it a hard pass. good luck to riot though. blizzard massively failed to capitalise on the crossover appeal of world of warcraft or starcraft. i guess the WoW mania was 10 years too early and before that slushfund of netflix cash was around. the WoW movie sucked and came so late that only a bunch of chinese gold farmers still cared about the IP.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I have some respect for game franchises that, instead of cashing in on a throwaway movie, add progressively more impressive games.

What's funny to me is when a game based off of a film franchise is better than any of the films. Also when a total conversion featuring that IP, but for an unrelated game, is substantially better than most of the IP's official game offerings.
Larssen
+99|1858

uziq wrote:

there are adverts for that arcane thing everywhere here. i've never played league of legends so i'll give it a hard pass. good luck to riot though. blizzard massively failed to capitalise on the crossover appeal of world of warcraft or starcraft. i guess the WoW mania was 10 years too early and before that slushfund of netflix cash was around. the WoW movie sucked and came so late that only a bunch of chinese gold farmers still cared about the IP.
WoW movie sucked and was an abomination. After which the same director created an even worse movie 'Mute'. Hard to believe the guy once wrote/directed Moon, which was a great indie production.

The WoW story also is garbage, so good luck making an appealing movie from that mess. They should've just thrown everything out and create something new without the characters from the game.

As for the LoL crossover, looks to me like they've made a completely new story for the TV series that offers background to some popular characters. I've only played it briefly but it's not exactly a story-driven game, which is good. It seems to allow for the creative freedom necessary to make a succesful port. Just build a new story with mostly new characters loosely embedded in the 'game universe'.
uziq
+492|3423
never had you down as a LoL player to be honest lucien (i mean larssen). what a twist. no wonder the EU is fucked. its core bureaucrats are being carried in the bottom lane.

you know the director of moon, warcraft, etc, is literally david bowie’s son?!

but yeah. video game adaptations have an ignominious history. look at those horrendous resident evil films and pretty much everything by uwe boll.

what’s surprising about the LoL adaptation is that the entire IP was SO clearly concocted to make money. like it’s not even funny. i know blizz have ret-conned their lore to swiss cheese, but still … it still felt like fantasy. everything riot has done has felt like a cold-fish cash grab from the start. it had all the passion of a huawei 5g router.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-12 07:25:13)

Larssen
+99|1858
I caved in during the lockdown out of boredom and played the mobile version of LoL....

uziq wrote:

i know blizz have ret-conned their lore to swiss cheese, but still … it still felt like fantasy
The games are good but c'mon now, the story has always been garbage. Chris Metzen is just not good at this stuff at all. Good for him that he hopped on the video game market as a writer when nobody cared for it though.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-11-12 07:51:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Warcrafts 1 and 2 were cohesive and fairly focused by video game standards, especially for the day. Warcraft 3 started getting a little silly with orc reformation, humans are the bad guys now, role reversal (subvert expectations!). Then I guess WoW had panda people (wtf). Starcraft also OK story-wise, by game standards. I never finished Starcraft 2. The Games Workshop stuff it's all inspired by has like over four decades of cancerous lore creep. Too many books, too many authors. Too many cooks. Like Star Trek and Star Wars. Disney probably made the right decision on expelling all that stuff from official canon and then bringing back decent concepts.

Very little in gaming business news would please me more than hearing that modern Blizzard shuttered and that the honest working creatives all went to different companies. Between the "all voices matter" nonsense and the sheer spite and reluctance to admit error from their support staff, always online spying, and a certain perceived hostility to third party addons and modding tools, Blizzard can go jump in a lake.

I remember the utter, accusing disbelief from the support end when I upheld that my account had been hacked for Diablo 3. I think it was even suggested that I should just buy new copies and make another account, but I eventually got my way after enduring some lecturing. Some time later, it was in gaming news that Blizzard accounts had been hacked (I don't remember if this was before or after I got one of those digital display 2fac keys). Screw those guys, there's a million other games to play.
uziq
+492|3423
it's clearly not good writing qua writing – i mean few videogames do exhibit that, and it's almost besides the point – but at least blizzard were creative. i know that fantasy as a genre is full of pastiche and the same tropes, yada yada, but blizzard really did create a strong new IP with warcraft and starcraft. riot's whole modus operandi is to basically copy+paste existing concepts and make their own. LoL is just a rip of dota, obviously. it's cynical beyond belief.

none of the original team still work for blizzard-activision, so far as i know. at least that's the general gossip in the warcraft scene.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-12 19:18:01)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'll fully acknowledge that Blizzard's 'crafts were one of the pillars of the RTS genre, alongside C&C, AoE, and maybe to a lesser extent Dune 2000. But like you said, old Blizzard.

I'm not too much of a stickler for the same creative teams being on everything in an IP. I think that as long as there's enthusiasm and talent and good direction, and support from moneys, that a new team picking up more or less where an older one left off can still make a very good video game.

Very nerdy of me maybe, but I actually have hopes for the 1800s Harry Potter Skyrim due out sometime next year. It's been like ten years since there was a game from that IP that wasn't a micro-mobile cash grab. Pity, because this sort of IP is basically tailor-made for something like a Bethesda epic.

https://i.imgur.com/3UgC36f.jpg
Red Dead Conjuration

Big feel of nostalgia. Those movies were coming out at around the same time I was trying to decide if I wanted to try for a position at a decent company like Insomniac or go into film.
Larssen
+99|1858
Diablo 1 & 2 were their best games. It all went tits up sometime during early WoW days.

As for LoL being a money grab, absolutely. In a way it's surprising that a derivative game from a warcraft mod ended up doing so much better.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-11-13 02:50:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Resident Evil 1 Is one of my favourite comfort watch films - fuck you guys.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Larssen wrote:

Diablo 1 & 2 were their best games. It all went tits up sometime during early WoW days.

As for LoL being a money grab, absolutely. In a way it's surprising that a derivative game from a warcraft mod ended up doing so much better.
D1/2 were fantastic. D3 was disappointing, but I guess some people made some cash on the money market so w/e. I have zero time for their games or remaster cash-grabs. I remember one of the old devs saying he wouldn't be playing the remaster either.

Mentioned before I think, but Coffee Stain, with Valheim/Satisfactory/DRG is pretty solid right now. Recent DRG update added the plasma rifle basically from Doom 1, which is really fun to use though feels lower on damage per shot than Doom's. 0:17 -

#wrongthreadforthisstuff, but honestly tons of better games these days.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard