Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Did you think you'd have a choice?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Anyone here part of an union? I get offers from corporations to sign up for various services with special blah blah for being an union member. I never really thought about it until today when i actually went through one of those promotional fliers. Visa was offering me a credit card and a $250 Amazon gift card to sign up.

I get that this is spam but the fact that my union is facilitating it is politically problematic? Why is my union in cahoots with Visa and Amazon in order to sell me services? My union doesn't overlap with Amazon and Visa's area of business but I still feel it is a conflict of interest. There also must be money exchanged somewhere in order to facilitate this spam. Does that mean Visa is a financial supporter of my union?

And finally, being a public worker (sanitation) doesn't this also mean that Visa, my union, and the state are all in giant relationship in which they have an agenda to promote government? This does sound a lot like fascist class collaboration.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I was in the white-collar union at Ford briefly, I quit when they said that even though 10,000 people had been paying in for 30 years they didn't have the money to put up a roadside sign, but they did have the money to double the salaries of all the executives.

I told them to stop taking my money, nothing happened so I cut the debit at my end, then they went nuts.

Like everything any honeypot of easy money and power and influence attracts shitbag people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I keep seeing ads for the Army Reserve. I would love to join the army but I don't want to have to do boot camp.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'd like to do some sort of reserve support function, armourer would be fun, maintenance or logistics coordination.

Not really so keen on running up and down hills, communal showers or any of the other homo-erotic male-bonding that goes on.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

How much homo-erotic male bonding occupies your imagination about life in the military?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What else goes on in the military?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'd like to do some sort of reserve support function, armourer would be fun, maintenance or logistics coordination.

Not really so keen on running up and down hills, communal showers or any of the other homo-erotic male-bonding that goes on.
I would too would like to do reserve stuff. Maybe something related to training and education. But I have zero desire to put myself into a situation where pig men scream at me.

https://www.army.mil/e2/images/rv7/drillsergeant/home_banner/7.jpg

I assume most students in the military would also be just a step above special education so it's not like they will retain anything I tell them anyway.

The U.S. military is trying to reform their basic training system and do away with screaming pig people. Closet case men in America are upset that we are 'feminizing the military' because we are trying to get away from having shaved big burly men give young boys attention like many men join the military to receive. But just how many people who are very intelligent and would make good officers and soldiers are dissuaded from going into the whole thing because the atmosphere is like a highschool football team. Why put yourself through that if you can go to college and screw hipster girls instead?
https://st4.depositphotos.com/10522344/i/600/depositphotos_218762854-stock-photo-hipster-girl-with-blue-dyed.jpg
I am clearly not the best case for the argument that the military is losing valuable talent due to their GAAAY. But I do have a bunch of graduate credit A's and don't have a criminal record so I must be doing something right. You may not agree with Dilbert on much but he can do math and hold a job.

The recruitment barrier to the military is much like the issues with police recruitment in the U.S. today. People with significant brain power don't want to be put into situations where they have to deal with aggressive pig people everyday.
Larssen
+99|1857
I wouldn't like either of you to be close to weaponry
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Larssen wrote:

That because you are a EuroCuck. Plenty of people own guns and have opinions that you don't agree with who also don't cause trouble.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

From the admitted safety of living across the ocean, I actually trust dilbert around guns. He talks about going shooting and hanging out with sports marksmen. I fully imagine him being deeply embedded in gun safety culture. Keeping them in safe working order, stored securely when he's not around, "don't point at anything you don't want to destroy." I trust dilbert around guns more than you, larssen, unless you have some stories to share that would assuage my concerns.

In the defense of screaming pigmen, no matter how tired a recruit is, the drill sergeants, petty officers and such are even more tired. Your back hurts, their backs hurt. You're sleepy, well they went to bed after you and woke up before.

I'll let people who understand training soldiers and human health balance boot camp culture with personnel retention and recruitment goals. If there is a push to change, well it hasn't been the first time military training has shifted gears.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Judging by the long term outcomes of military service in America, I suspect it all starts at recruitment.
The Marines say changes in the way they train recruits and their notoriously hard-nosed drill instructors have led to fewer incidents of drill instructor misconduct, officials told the Union-Tribune.

Their statement about training followed an Oct. 5 Washington Post report revealing that more than 20 Marines at the San Diego boot camp have been disciplined for misconduct since 2017, including cases of physical attacks and racist and homophobic slurs. The story also was published in the Union-Tribune.

According to the Washington Post, the Marines punished one drill instructor who, in the fall of 2017, used a staple gun on a recruit and ordered another recruit to eat part of a pine cone. That drill instructor received administrative punishment and left the Marines in September 2018.

The incident was one of several at the two Marine Corps boot camps in recent years, including a case where a Marine recruit fell to his death after being struck by a drill instructor at Parris Island, South Carolina.
Comical levels of swinery.

Imagine joining the military to pay off your computer science degree and some pig man shoots you with a staple gun for not eating a pine cone fast enough. Imagine training to become an army medic and dying because a pig in a cowboy hat threw you off a building.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Weren't you were going to be a cop once? This isn't so much a flip-flop as it is spontaneously turning inside-out.

I agree that lasting injuries and death should be a reasonably uncommon thing in boot camp. If you want to strip the humanity out of it, just say it will save the military money. At the same time, you're not exactly joining Doctors Without Borders when you enter the Marines (giggity). You're joining a military force that injures and kills people. Even with reforms, training will have some level of physical and psychological strains.

Maybe we could be more selective with recruitment. Oh is the pool shrinking? Then improve the health situation in America so the poor communities you recruit people from will produce less duds.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Oh haha you are well behind the curve on this one.

Currently thinking about taking up PRS and buying one of these.
https://www.gunemporium.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Lithgow-LA105.jpg

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

From the admitted safety of living across the ocean, I actually trust dilbert around guns. He talks about going shooting and hanging out with sports marksmen.
I am a sports marksman, I was on the British Olympic squad, been state champion etc.
Last year I missed beating our local Olympian by a whisker.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-05-27 15:39:49)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Well, there you go.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Weren't you were going to be a cop once? This isn't so much a flip-flop as it is spontaneously turning inside-out.

I agree that lasting injuries and death should be a reasonably uncommon thing in boot camp. If you want to strip the humanity out of it, just say it will save the military money. At the same time, you're not exactly joining Doctors Without Borders when you enter the Marines (giggity). You're joining a military force that injures and kills people. Even with reforms, training will have some level of physical and psychological strains.

Maybe we could be more selective with recruitment. Oh is the pool shrinking? Then improve the health situation in America so the poor communities you recruit people from will produce less duds.
Maybe the military could be more intelligent with recruitment.
90% of recruits are going to sit at a desk or drive a vehicle and probably never be deployed, no need for shin splints, torn ligaments or PTSD from eating worms or cleaning latrines.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've been told that worms actually don't fry up that badly when cooked. Hard pass on testing one out.

e: I've seen those shows where a professional chef will cook up some of those "meat replacement" grubs for the hosts. People are like "ooh that smells good, mmm, yum," and the chef is polite about things but declines to try it.

I wouldn't even want those things on my cookware, and don't mind being called squeamish because of it. If I lived in a household with people who ate grubs, I would want there to be a designated grub pan and utensil. Preferably paper plates and disposable forks/chopsticks involved.

I get the validity of the thought anyway, but short of a starvation scenario I'd rather just not eat meat at all if it came to that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well anyway I can't think of a time when someone in the army has had to resort to eating worms.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well anyway I can't think of a time when someone in the army has had to resort to eating worms.
This is why America hasn't won a war since World war 2. Our soldiers think they are too good to eat worms.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

We needed lots of help to win World War 2.

@dilbs, admittedly a field-fried worm is probably better than some of the gut-wrecking MREs I've seen. If the Taliban saw us doing that though I like to think they'd take pity and invite the US Army to a bbq (the food kind, not incendiary weapons).
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert is passionate about guns because he is effectively psychologically castrated. he greases his target pistols because the last time he used his cock was in boarding school on cholmondeley from the chess society.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lol OK, you're not actually a psychoanalyst are you though, you're a delusional little creep who tries to bully people into killing themselves.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

File management and company emails are currently driving me mildly insane. Office staff forwards/exchanges the first thing they see on an email with no thought to checking iteration or looking at the "disregard previous" sent five minutes later, two days ago.

I find out about it later when someone has questions and CCs me a copy of an email recently sent to a client, with attachments like five versions out of date. "Oh, I'm sorry."

How in the heck are some of them growing like 18 spaces in between random words in the filename? Is that something that just happens sometimes when an office file passes through an android? The rest of the contents might not even be changed, but welcome unnecessary copy to the file bank. ffs

Now I get to walk into this guy's office to tell him he forwarded the wrong thing, and basically spin the wheel of being the reassurer, "don't beat yourself up too much over it," or bear the brunt of some grumpsplosion "I can't do everything you know! I just have so much on my plate!"
Larssen
+99|1857
This reads like an episode of the office
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

About like when the onion hits too close to home, I guess.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard