unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Not amazon (I've always been able to resolve stuff with that company without ever talking to another person), but I've eaten the costs on one-time stuff sometimes just to avoid having to deal with over-the-phone support.

Although (and especially tech support), sometimes callers are in the wrong, yet utterly convinced that they're right ("no YOU don't understand!"). I've taken over a few calls before and let the old folks go blow off some steam in another room. Resolved in like two minutes, gratitude from the service end.

I think sometimes people make their own problems.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I've both worked in a call center and set up a few overseas call centers (one in Mexico, one in India, one in Phillipines). I empathize with the other side when I'm on the phone with a customer service representative. When I have frustrations I usually go out of my way to tell the rep that I know it's not their fault for the problem I'm having. However, I've had a lot of bad experiences with shitty reps. I would say around 10% of the time I call in to a customer service or helpline I end up calling back and talking to a different rep who is more helpful than the original person. I don't really blame them for the lack of effort though. I hate the business model itself.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Related FWP, I bought a cable modem once to replace the rental at the office, telephony and everything, but based off of our old Comcast service. Apparently it had recently gotten switched to a business model under my nose, and the modem I got was no longer "compatible" "supported" despite being a much better piece of hardware than the new junk that was installed.

That was my experience with the south park meme nipple rubbing that goes on over at comcast.

pita
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I've both worked in a call center and set up a few overseas call centers (one in Mexico, one in India, one in Phillipines). I empathize with the other side when I'm on the phone with a customer service representative. When I have frustrations I usually go out of my way to tell the rep that I know it's not their fault for the problem I'm having. However, I've had a lot of bad experiences with shitty reps. I would say around 10% of the time I call in to a customer service or helpline I end up calling back and talking to a different rep who is more helpful than the original person. I don't really blame them for the lack of effort though. I hate the business model itself.
How strange, my mother and sister firmly believe that screaming at the top of their voice and telling the rep they're stupid is the way to get things done.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Reminds me of a couple of my business contacts. But I know people who at least have an ulterior motive with their complaints. Sometimes a lower price for things can be negotiated.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Not as good as the cat but still a little funny.
"Estonian parliament member is given a chance to ask a question in session, doesn’t realise he’s been connected via video"
https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … chance_to/
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

What about the Canadian who pranced naked across the camera?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
My mother mentioned today "we need to get you married off and figure out what dance we'll do at your wedding", referring to the customary mother-son dance. I apparently really pissed her off by saying I find that weird and would not do it, as I feel towards a lot of other "traditions" like the garter toss and even the bachelor party. Frankly, I'd prefer to not have my family at my hypothetical wedding for the most part, and there's a decent chance I'd opt for eloping or something similar to avoid the big to-do and lining the pockets of the wedding-industrial complex.

I told my brother, who is on the same page as far as parent dancing goes, so I'm not exactly the odd one out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

To me, weddings always felt like something more for the family. I don't think I've ever seen a bride and groom who didn't look eager for the day to end by the time everything was over. Probably end up divorcing in a few years anyway.

I remember some fairly bad catering for the price. Would have done better with a deep fried pickles reception at a sports bar with arcade games and a big screen TV. Also despise unclear instructions on gifts and attire. Do the newly weds really want six different sets of plates? Don't more organized gifting schemes feel a little insincere? What the heck does semi business casual even mean half of the time? Do I need a tie or is this a polo affair? I'll bring slacks and a change of shirts back in the truck.

I guess some moms will stop asking bachelor/ette children about grandchildren after awhile. I don't know if that should be relief or just feel ominous.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
I need to stop spending money on guns, it's getting out of hand. So hard with this freedom and so much money saved.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America

War Man wrote:

I need to stop spending money on guns, it's getting out of hand. So hard with this freedom and so much money saved.
No need to specify your tumescence.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
give me one
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

War Man wrote:

always a struggle to limit spending when you first start earning and have minimal bills. I support buying whatever you want at this point in your life. Get it out of your body so down the road you won't have the same urge.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
This is the first year I'm trying to budget. More like a monthly food/gas/fluff spending limit. Major car repairs don't go into that >.>
That said I'm planning on getting a $2.7k camera buuut paying by selling old shit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think I can reasonably justify buying a centre-fire rifle, not sure if I should go for mid-range or long range, its the same game really but long range is more expensive, probably twice the cost.
I don't have to go for top-notch eqpt immediately either, and buying local makes good sense. I can upgrade later in one go or piece by piece.

I can base it on the long term plan I might want to go back to the UK and do the Bisley annual championships every so often.

Otherwise I spend next to nothing.

Savings returns dropping 75% over the last two years is a bummer, I've done OK on my shares at least - could have done much better too.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-04-22 19:57:16)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

War Man wrote:

OK so a good way I found to curb spending is to go ahead and add a bunch of stuff to your internet cart, but then never actually buy it. There's also budget constraints you could stick to, but I feel like consumer apathy can be more effective in the long run.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

So mac hasn't posted in like two days. Did he get the rona?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sanitation worker Macbeth quit after some altercation with a comic store clerk didn't get enough sympathy.

Where SuperJail Warden is is anyone's guess.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

War Man wrote:

OK so a good way I found to curb spending is to go ahead and add a bunch of stuff to your internet cart, but then never actually buy it. There's also budget constraints you could stick to, but I feel like consumer apathy can be more effective in the long run.
Buy what you actually need in the foreseeable future, don't buy useless crap.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
Unless it's guns
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats what I said.

Guns - actually use them and become proficient, this means having a small number and using them a lot.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
What about [redacted]s gun?

Last edited by RTHKI (2021-04-23 09:43:15)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

As a target shooter, I never really "needed" more than a couple rifles, a couple handguns, and a shotgun for the hobby. Lots of room in my safe but whatever, at least they're not piled up.

The shotgun was a blast (heh). I remember people thinking it would knock me on my ass as a kid, but no. I hit every clay I aimed past. Never underestimate video games, I guess.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Having lots of guns doesn't make you a badass, you can only operate one at a time and maybe carry two, so whats the point of dozens of guns?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
With a few simple modifications you can turn one gun into five guns

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard