uziq
+492|3422
ok, sure. clearly missing its mark, in any case. i'd worry more about yourself.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The Dead Don't Die , 4/10
Kylo Ren and Bill Murray in a Zombie comedy movie. Absolutely awful.   

I didn't like Bill Murray before this movie and feel vindicated for having that view. Basically all of it is "dead pan" humor but that mostly means Bill Murray stands around uninterested while Adam Driver comments on what is going on. I respect Driver as an actor so I don't hold this one against him. This whole thing seems like it could have been shot in a week too. How much do you even get paid for that? Is it all just money laundering?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
tilda swinton, too. she doesn't need to do that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Her and Driver weren't actually too bad thinking it over in my head. Both of their characters would be fun in a better movie. Bill Murray is totally lousy though. I feel like the movie wanted me to be in awe at Murray and find his disinterest in the events funny.

I blame reddit. They are the ones pumping up Bill M. Look at Bill M.
https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/abYw7qv_460s.jpg
Now look at the average reddit user.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0f5cVHhMybvyl56cH4avT26jFiXackhERWQ&usqp=CAU
They want him to be their dad.
uziq
+492|3422
bill murray was quite good in his hey-day but i think the actor who really mastered that type of character was jack nicholson in about schmidt. under-rated movie. nicholson is undoubtedly a much better actor in almost every single way.

bill murray is good in groundhog day, ghostbusters, the life aquatic with steve zissou. lost in translation is eeh, so-so.

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I Hate Lost in Translation. Don't get me started. As far as Sofia Coppola goes, I like a handful of her movies. The Virgin Suicides was deeper and more emotional than Lost in Trannies.

I like to show freshmen at least the trailer for Marie Antoinette even though I tell them to watch it on their own time. Couldn't even show them the trailer this year because you never know what Karen is over their kid's shoulder.
uziq
+492|3422
i think sofia coppola is very weak and very over-rated. lost in translation is definitely one of those 'zeitgeist' movies that seems inexplicably feted and less good as time goes on. but it suits bill murray's dumbfounded-disappointed face well. plus, it has my bloody valentine on the soundtrack. i'll forgive quite a lot for that.

it's definitely not a very good movie though. it's in the same list as '500 days of summer'. it's very easy to hate.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-18 04:16:55)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Bill Murray's *#& has stank for quite some time now. Wasn't he like "oh, I'm SOOOOO picky about the movies I appear in, only the cream of the crop!" and now he's in B-zombie fare in between movies that put me to sleep or gross me out (do we need any more movies where the 70 year old man and the 30 year old fall in love?). A bit of a dick on set, a dick in public. Does that explain why the internet loves him so much? That and just the boomers that remember him from his heyday?

I would rather finish The Avengers than watch Bill Murray mope his way through another romantic drama (it was cool in Groundhog Day because he had stuff going on in that movie that fit his style).
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Birds of Prey - 6/10
Not great, not bad, really its a filler film although it was probably intended to launch Harley Quinn in her own right.
Its a specific genre in the Tank Girl style, if you don't like it thats OK.

I could really use a glitter-grenade launcher at work.

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:scale/quill/5/b/1/f/9/7/5b1f970130bec774226a60bb8c559d88b41118c5.jpg?mw=600

This post reserved for uziq to make sniffy comments about a film he hasn't seen

V

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-11-20 18:08:09)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
never even heard of it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
^

As expected
uziq
+492|3422
there’s been no cinema for most of a year here, really it would take some exertion on my part to hear about the latest serving of comic book or graphic novel whatever.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was released in February and drew 'the critics' ire for some reason.

I like Margot Robbie, she's done some good work.
uziq
+492|3422
i think you probably care more about ‘the critics ire’ than anyone else. so it was released at the start of the UK’s main lockdown. i’ve genuinely never heard of it and don’t care what reviews a random slice of comic schlock gets.

cats was so bad it was amusing. it became a meme, dilbert. really no one cares about the numerical rating or performance of your beloved ‘ tank girl’ movies.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You still haven't seen Cats have you.
uziq
+492|3422
i have no intention of watching 95% of the films you sperg over. what a waste of time. you have the cultural consumption habits of a 17 year old doing a BTEC ICT course at a higher-ed college. you should be wearing hoodies for new metal bands and drinking 3 cans of monster energy each day.

‘critics hated birds of prey! ha ha critics are gay! what do they know! i like what i like! fuck you i won’t do what you tell me! upvote me guys’.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-20 23:07:24)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Birds of Prey was mostly forgettable (with the exception of the roller-skate brawl, I've got to see if there's any behind the scenes choreography discussion there). I think it started at the middle of the movie, and went into the perpetually mocked "I bet you're wondering how I got into this mess" tropes, then wasted your time for another 20 minutes before telling the audience "and now we're back here!"

*hurl*

I dunno, I want to like a movie because it's a fair movie. It doesn't have to blow me out of the water or anything. I don't think people who like one because "oh, and it's got x actor/actress" as some central point are really putting that much thought into it.

Birds of Prey, comic book movie scale: 6.5/10
Birds of Prey, movie scale: 3/10
Larssen
+99|1858
Eh there's a few actors who are almost always cast in good movies, christian bale, tom hardy & jessica chastain for example.
Larssen
+99|1858
Charlize theron also good
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406566/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2139881/

She does seem to take bad decisions on her own films.
uziq
+492|3422
christian bale is in a different league to those other actors. much wider range, much less typecasting.

tom hardy is barely scraping above being a british version of 'the rock'. he's a 'deep teenager' version of jason statham. almost always cast in good movies? didn't he bomb in venom? (no i have not seen it). 'this means war'? i don't think there's any british person of sense who can see peaky blinders (to which i have been unfortunately exposed) and not cringe. half of tom hardy's filmography is dodgy sub-comic book franchises and computer game movies (splinter cell?) his imdb page is about 40% generic films that all have the same premise and art direction. the guy has been typecast to all hell.

charlize theron doesn't exactly strike me as a magisterial actor famed for her range and penetration, either.

did you just see and really like the mad max sequel or something?

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-21 05:38:59)

Larssen
+99|1858
Bronson, Locke, RocknRolla, Warrior, Inception, The Drop, Mad Max - he's a good actor. Sure there's some bombs in there but Bale was in that awful terminator film too - every actor makes some bad casting decisions. Nonetheless all 4 are pretty damn solid. I'll agree Bale is the best of them, but I've also liked Chastain in a lot of roles.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-21 11:35:44)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Borat 2. 7/10.
On par with the first. It has an actual story but many encounters were more fake and edited.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-11-21 12:15:06)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The pressure for me to watch it has been from people gloating about the Rudy scene to the exclusion of everything else about the movie. I didn't get to that scene, or past the scene of him in the electronics store. It's just all so mean-spirited. Which I guess is kind of the point?

2/10
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

tom hardy is barely scraping above being a british version of 'the rock'. he's a 'deep teenager' version of jason statham. almost always cast in good movies? didn't he bomb in venom?
He was perfectly good in it and it was an OK film - which I'm guessing you haven't seen either.

Why do you gloat so when creative people miss a step?

You're becoming a meme yourself at this point "I haven't seen it myself but..."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard