uziq
+492|3422

DesertFox- wrote:

I think you'll find I was clearly just a furry when I picked this username half my life ago. My confirmation saint was Andrew and then multiple girls I liked have entered long term relationships with Andrews since. The bastards.

Having since changed my username on Steam, it's only slightly better, really.
Hotel_Auschwitz isn't big or funny, DF.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't remember. 12?
Ha, I've had more catholic sacraments than you and I'm not even catholic
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It's not a competition.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Catholicism is dying in the west, dude. You're either going to get an Irish, Filipino, or Hispanic priest in your parish. Oh, off chance for a Viet too. At least here in SoCal where there's a huuuge viet population. I think the church I went to does mass in 4 or 5 languages now. Latin ain't one of them
we get african priests
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

uziq wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I think you'll find I was clearly just a furry when I picked this username half my life ago. My confirmation saint was Andrew and then multiple girls I liked have entered long term relationships with Andrews since. The bastards.

Having since changed my username on Steam, it's only slightly better, really.
Hotel_Auschwitz isn't big or funny, DF.
It seems this a movie, but my knowledge of German-language films has certainly not kept current through the 2010s (and before that, it was just what our German teacher introduced us to).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I watched a rap video and there were a bunch of girls in bikinis. It made me so proud to be an American. This is why it is important we shouldn't let the Islamification of the western world continue. The Muslims don't let women be free and they will turn the average American girl into ninjas if they had a chance.
https://i.dawn.com/primary/2014/04/5358f5a683693.jpg?r=179869627
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Never seen a catholic nun, huh?

The religious right in America have been pushing for their version of sharia law since what, before the constitution was ratified?
uziq
+492|3422
it's interesting that the US secretary of state is being put at odds with the vatican, because the vatican refuses to condemn china's human rights abuses (christianity is a booming business in china). i thought the catholic church was meant to be the moral exemplar in the modern world? and the defender of the west against barbarian alien civilizations? all those neo-medieval crusader facebook-group types probably can't square the fact that the catholic church sees 'pagan' china as their biggest emerging market.

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/october- … on-course/

Michael Coren was a conservative Catholic who was forced to reevaluate everything he publicly stood for

Genuine faith is sandpaper of the soul, rubbing away at the being of faith. It hurts, it stings, but in the final analysis it should lead to a more perfect believer. I suppose that the divine carpenter began work on me, because around seven years ago I went through something like a spiritual breakdown. I cried, I couldn’t sleep, I questioned everything I had done. I’d always believed in God, always embraced the Christian message, but now it seemed that I’d got it all wrong. I was no fool, I knew biblical languages, I read voraciously, I had life experience, but it was as if I’d walked though my life with some sort of comforting theological myopia.

Then, in 2013, Uganda’s biting homophobia smashed into me. Canada’s then foreign minister, John Baird, gently criticised a Kampala official about proposed legislation to further criminalise homosexuality — even to make it a capital offence. Baird, who had been a great defender of persecuted Christians, was stridently condemned by conservative Christian groups for criticising “noble Uganda”. I was outraged at Uganda and at the treatment of Baird, and I said so on TV and in print. I was bombarded with abuse and threats, and realised that opposition to same-sex marriage wasn’t based on defence of traditional marriage but visceral dislike, even manic hatred, of gays and lesbians.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 01:45:58)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i thought the catholic church was meant to be the moral exemplar in the modern world?
When this Wuhan bat-flu thing is done you should really try going outdoors, maybe read a little.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
do you need sarcasm tags? i have never spoken in support of the catholic church as an institution. my post is directed largely at macbeth, who pops up in every thread saying that the world needs the catholic church to deliver it from all evil, decline, degeneracy, etc etc etc.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
We must do something to save the Armenians from the Azerbaijani jihad. It's a damn shame we can't have a 21st century Holy Alliance between the U.S. and Russia to bring the light of Christ over the darkened lands of Islam.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Can anyone make sense of why Israel would have sold attack drones to Azerbaijan?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
MONEY > VALUES

Being real, Israel's pretty smart. Enabling a war in the region presents a massive opportunity for future arms sale to the benefit of their growing "defense" industry.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Sucks.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
America figured it out immediately after WW2, so thank your countrymen for writing the playbook.

EDIT - N.B. key to The Move is making sure you have the counter-defense already worked out to the tech you're selling abroad, which you only then sell once you have the counter-counter-measure.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-10-17 07:59:30)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
I thank my lucky stars everyday...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Superior Mind wrote:

Can anyone make sense of why Israel would have sold attack drones to Azerbaijan?
Cauldronisation, they want every nearby country reduced to rubble.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Seems like they’re playing to the favor of Turkey to keep them on their side against Iran.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Superior Mind wrote:

Seems like they’re playing to the favor of Turkey to keep them on their side against Iran.
For now, then they'll support whoever is against Turkey.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663

Dilbert_X wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

For now, then they'll support whoever is against Turkey.
Which would be Armenia not the Azeris?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It doesn't matter.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Superior Mind wrote:

It has less to do with Iran than the Arabs. Turkey and Israel have a long history of military, economic, and political cooperation. Turkey has literally thousands of tanks they asked Israel to upgrade for them decades ago for instance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_(tank)
Turkey and Israel both have had a lot more issues with restless Arabs in the last century than either of those places had with each other. The Turks are a very sophisticated civilization too. It bothers me how many westerners refuse to acknowledge that about the Turks. In fact most of the issues with Islam really emanates from from the area between the West Bank and Islamabad. I think very highly of the Egyptians and to lesser extents Lebanese, and North Africans too.
uziq
+492|3422
the islamic world, particularly pakistan, has a complex relationship with turkey because of its semi-westernization. most people in europe know from, er, obvious close proximity and experience that turkey is pretty moderate -- or at least has been, in better times, before erdogan started stoking old religious and ethnic chauvinisms for political gain.

there are lots of turkish people all over europe. every european citizen and brit will be familiar with the idea that they aren't the same as arabs or even really levantine cultures. turkey joining the EU has been a political hot potato over the years, but mostly just because of the sheer size of the place and the state/structure of their economy. only a small minority of right-wing pundits make fulminating noises about 'islamification'. germany and a bunch of western european countries actively invited in turkish workers in their droves during eras of economic boom and reconstruction.

turkish girls are really beautiful btw. it's actually pretty common to see 'westernized' turkish girls getting berated online by devout pakistani males who think they should somehow be role-models and standard bearers for islamic culture.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-17 17:29:36)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The far right European sources I come in contact with are much more obsessed with the Turkish than with anything going on in the Middle East save for refugees though they blame the Turks for that too. Forgive me if I am mistaken about how Europeans view them as a group.
uziq
+492|3422
i wouldn't say you're really mistaken, there is indeed a very vocal minority who spend a lot of effort getting very mad about that.

the far-right in places like poland is forever going on about the ottomans, blah blah. there's that residual underlayer of 'crusader' imagery and 'clash of civilizations' rhetoric, as if vienna might fall if erdogan's turkey accedes to the economic union.

but yeah, i would say in general that turkish people are settled widely all over europe and aren't perceived as a dangerous or radical-extremist 'other'. most of the islamic fundamentalists that cause trouble in the west are from ex-colonies or the arab nations.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-17 17:43:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard