Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
Every country should have imposed a total quarantine on China.
Some countries letting Chinese in allowed them to play hopscotch to get to where the wanted to go.

It was distinctly weird that China locked down its own citizens within the country but still expected total freedom to travel abroad at the same time complaining about 'racism'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
As we learned from the browser game Pandemic, closing borders/airports/seaports after the infection hits the country is shutting the barn door after the horses have bolted. What does President Madagascar have to say, that's what I want to know.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which is why you need to close the ports early. When China locked itself down the world should have locked them down.
uziq
+492|3423
how the fuck do you get a head start on a disease with a two-week incubation time? which breaks out, furthermore, at a transport/logistics hub in a major city?

come on, nostradilpers. tell us.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You do it as soon as you can.

Even at this point the quarantine is inadequate, should be a total lockdown. Too late but it will help.
uziq
+492|3423
i think i have to agree with jay on this matter (it was just a leap year, after all): that's just so much bullshit illusion of control. there is no government on earth who could effectively shut down everything and stop the world economy at the first sign of a novel infectious disease. governments just do not have that much control over what is going on. it's a complete fantasy of power to imagine we could have shuttered everything in a day and sat this thing out.

the more relevant discussion is how should a globally connected world prepare for inevitable pandemics, in terms of communication and mobilising responses. quarantine is not going to work.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-01 15:57:19)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Should probably quarantine permanently any nation which eats bat, pangolin, snake, monkey and human.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

looks like that correction will take out the corona drinks brand. weep.
https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/corona.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe this whole thing has been engineered to wipe out Chinese retirees and allow China to buy up the rest of the world at a knock-down price.

Its a whole lot easier than starting a war.

Meanwhile:
A high-tech Chinese research vessel has been detected mapping strategically important waters off the Western Australian coast where submarines are known to regularly transit.

Key points:
A Defence official said the ship was mapping waters used by Australian submarines to get to the South China Sea
A Border Force spokesperson said the Xiang Yang Hong 01 had stayed in international waters
In 2018, the Xiang Yang Hong 01 was found to be operating illegally within the Exclusive Economic Zone of Palau
In January and February, officials closely tracked the movements of the oceanographic ship as it conducted deepwater surveys in the Indian Ocean near Christmas Island and the Australian mainland.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-02/ … a/12009708
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Should probably quarantine permanently any nation which eats bat, pangolin, snake, monkey and human.
Might as well quarantine the US because "bush food" is sometimes eaten here too. Snakes, alligators, squirrel, etc.

Also "traditional" western livestock can sometimes transmit disease to humans.

"Don’t buy China’s story: The coronavirus may have leaked from a lab" -nyt
https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy- … from-a-lab

And then there is this little-known fact: Some Chinese researchers are in the habit of selling their laboratory animals to street vendors after they have finished experimenting on them.

[…]

Instead of properly disposing of infected animals by cremation, as the law requires, they sell them on the side to make a little extra cash. Or, in some cases, a lot of extra cash. One Beijing researcher, now in jail, made a million dollars selling his monkeys and rats on the live animal market, where they eventually wound up in someone’s stomach.
If true, maybe not do this? Instead of, you know, overreacting about people eating bugs and bats or whatever.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Should probably quarantine permanently any nation which eats bat, pangolin, snake, monkey, human and laboratory waste.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

swine flu, look it up.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Again this obsession with grossly over-consuming animal protein will probably be the end of us.

We're very unlikely to catch zoonotic infections from nuts or lentils I think.
uziq
+492|3423
for the third time in this thread.

no epidemiologist attributes every zoonotic illness to consumption of animal protein. we make contact with animals for many other reasons than meat. fair enough if you want to go full vegan and never wear anything containing animal products or tested on animals. meanwhile for the rest of the world, it's sadly inevitable that, in places without the most stringest hygiene and sanitary conditions (i.e. most real-world, out of the lab environments), zoonotic diseases are going to exist.

i'm not sure what 'over-consumption' means in this context, anyway. another self-invented dilbert measure betraying only his own prejudices. what if we just farmed enough meat for a basic monthly intake? and still an infection broke out? is that 'over-consumption' of protein? is everyone in china simultaneously eating 200 snakes and trying to become body-builders, or what? make sense man.

ironically the chinese, who eat bugs and insects as a source of protein, unlike most other cultures on the planet, are only further denigrated and exhorted with disgust by you. very neat.

you keep blaming these things on the chinese eating 'humans' and 'bats'. again, for the umpteenth time this thread, eating bat is a delicacy in china. it's like prattling on about debauched westerners eating half-rotted, buried birds. stupid, ignorant, and hysterical.

many things outside of farming/harvesting animals is going to contribute to future zoonotic transmissions. chief among them the increasing population and our rapid encroachment onto wild land. we are increasingly moving into, chopping down habitats, and displacing animals that may have been carrying infections like ebola for centuries. all it takes is one poor person to eat some bushmeat in a circumstance like that, and you have EVD and an outbreak. factory farming is not the problem.

i think the epidemiologists have a better, more realistic grip on the problem than you, who seems to think the solution is 'total veganism and abstention from animal contact, worldwide' and 'total quarantine'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-02 02:56:22)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am home from work with a cold right now. You really don't appreciate how great it feels to be healthy until you are sick.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3423
i had a case of the flu that stuck around for about 3 weeks over the new year. i was bed-bound, feverous, aching, etc. the whole time. really unpleasant. first time in my adult life that it has actually brought me down and made me unable to work. i'm going to consider getting the annual flu jab each year now. before i thought it was just for the senile. christ.
uziq
+492|3423
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ … oronavirus

china cancels grand prix.
australia insists it will go ahead with its grand prix.

these fucking selfish individualist white people. it's time to totally quarantine australia!!!!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

we had a major tech conference cancelled at the last minute. I suspect over the next month or so we will start seeing huge impacts to the supply chain of major electronics manufacturers, which will result in lower earnings, resulting in stock market dips, resulting in another recession.

The tariffs were the first blow to China's economy. This will be a huuuuuge blow because it freezes cash. Unless the Chinese government is feeling generous enough to infuse struggling businesses with cash, this is going to be huge. It's just not fully formed yet because a lot of people were kind of using the excuse of the Chinese New Year as to why supply and services aren't at 100% capacity.

I'm convinced despite no evidence that the most recent dips in the stock market over the past few days were institutional investors slowly liquidating their holdings. They will horde cash until after the sell-off and buy everything back on the cheap.

we as a company have instituted a quarantine for guests to our corporate HQ and travel restrictions, along with a litany of personal hygiene recommendations.

Anecdotally, I was traveling over the past few days and there is a very real fear at airports and generally in any spaces where travelers congregate.

It is going to get worse before it gets better.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
i was out five days two weeks ago. I had a sinus infection followed by the flu followed by a stomach virus and capped off with pinkeye.

The joys of fatherhood.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am worried about my parents. They are over 50 and don't have excellent health.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Jay wrote:

i was out five days two weeks ago. I had a sinus infection followed by the flu followed by a stomach virus and capped off with pinkeye.

The joys of fatherhood.
I had pinkeye earlier this year for the first time in probably 20 years. I chalked it up to being on 4 planes in 4 airports within 48 hours. I'm becoming one of those people who wear face masks on the plane/in the airport and religiously hand sanitize myself after touching any surfaces.

On a side note, my company let us know that if we contract the virus, we have to use personal sick leave/vacation time. Too bad, workers!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Jay wrote:

It's just the fucking flu, people. So massively overblown
Also something about people with hand sanitizer OCD, as he puts it.

On the masks, I haven't taken to wearing them.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica … r-BB10B8KU

From CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc … ml#protect

DC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. You should only wear a mask if a healthcare professional recommends it. A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms. This is to protect others from the risk of getting infected. The use of facemasks also is crucial for health workers and other people who are taking care of someone infected with COVID-19 in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
Though I'm not yet concerned that the US government will start sealing the exits to homes and apartments, as an aside I do wonder at the impact unreliable access to healthcare will have on this country. People too afraid to seek medical attention because of the expense, poor to no coverage, and surprise bills.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/02/f1-organisers-insist-australian-grand-prix-will-go-ahead-despite-coronavirus

china cancels grand prix.
australia insists it will go ahead with its grand prix.

these fucking selfish individualist white people. it's time to totally quarantine australia!!!!
A bit late to cancel now, but stupid is as stupid does.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Though I'm not yet concerned that the US government will start sealing the exits to homes and apartments, as an aside I do wonder at the impact unreliable access to healthcare will have on this country. People too afraid to seek medical attention because of the expense, poor to no coverage, and surprise bills.
It'll mostly be poor people dying, thats how natural selection works.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Interesting thing about viruses is how little they care if you are poor or rich.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard