Larssen
+99|1857
It's like you make a conscious effort to reduce reality to one liners. Every sentence some sort of concluding statement.
uziq
+492|3422
really not sure what j. edgar hoover has to do with, well, anything. we're not living in the cold war anymore with red scares. a far more relevant and germane thing to mention is the patriot act and post-9/11 homeland security, which represents a far bigger erosion of civil liberties and rights than anything hoover pushed through.

why is it interesting that the most useful tool is a video camera? the UK has far more closed-circuit cameras than the US -- are we a police state?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Pretty sure thats McCarthy, the US was effectively a Police state for a while, it could be again.

China looks great, make the wrong social media post and you're not allowed to travel by air or train.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ … dit-system
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
sorry, posting on my phone and assumed it was hoover from your police state talk. though my point still stands completely unaddressed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's always a 'scare' the state uses to keep the population scared and looking to authority to protect them.
Apaches, blacks, jews, reds, aliens, muslims - whats next?

A video camera is the most useful tool for the average citizen, prior to this the Police could lie and the state would protect them.
Its a lot harder now.

This guy would still have a job and be out assaulting cititzens but for video cameras.

The New York City police officer involved in the high-profile 2014 chokehold death of an African-American man has been fired.

Daniel Pantaleo was sacked over the death of Eric Garner, whose dying words "I can't breathe" became a rallying cry for protests against police brutality.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49399302

Its interesting to me that people have been pushed so far they're not just protecting themselves they're now actively picking arguments with Police on video. Some kind of turning point.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-08-19 17:03:57)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
We shouldn't go to war with Iran and won't. It would be a really bad thing for America and the region. I wish we did though. It would be super interesting to watch on television, Twitter, and YouTube.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
please try a little harder. i mean this is barely even amusing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am being serious. Www.Reddit.com/r/combatfootage

Think of all of the new content to watch.
uziq
+492|3422
grow up.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
There wouldn't be a BF2 without the Iraq War.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
There was a video compilation of combat footage I saw recently that was almost exclusively US troops getting shot/blown up. The crowd of people who would normally be all "GET SOME!" were noticeably upset seeing their side taking hits. There's even less appetite for taking losses in a war now.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A ground war with Iran is improbable, if Trump could he'd nuke them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

DesertFox- wrote:

There was a video compilation of combat footage I saw recently that was almost exclusively US troops getting shot/blown up. The crowd of people who would normally be all "GET SOME!" were noticeably upset seeing their side taking hits. There's even less appetite for taking losses in a war now.
It I always eye rolling whenever someone post a picture of a buff American special forces guy who got KIA'd smiling into the camera. The comments are always about what an absolute warrior he was blah blah blah instead of the foolishness of wasting your good looks and physical talents on a failed war you had no business being a part of.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

It I always eye rolling whenever someone post a picture of a buff American special forces guy who got KIA'd smiling into the camera. The comments are always about what an absolute warrior he was blah blah blah instead of the foolishness of wasting your good looks and physical talents on a failed war you had no business being a part of.
Every volunteer in the military is one less person, such as yourself, to be drafted. Instead of badmouthing servicemen, how about instead think "Oh gee, there is less chance of me being drafted thanks to him volunteering, thanks pal"?

Last edited by War Man (2019-09-20 20:56:10)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
uziq
+492|3422
thanks 4 ur service, heroes
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
I know that is sarcasm, but don't need to call them heroes.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Good luck on your new genocidal quest, Turkey. I am about half joking.

Turkey plans to resettle the refugees they have in their new safe zone. Wouldn't be surprising if the other eastern Europeans follow suit since at least Hungary seems supportive.

For the last 70 years the west was happy to have Turkey on its side at the "crossroads of the world". Stopping the flow of refugee and keeping middle eastern problems in the middle east seems like exactly why we made friends with the Turks a long time ago. It would be odd to turn on the Turks for doing what we always needed them for.
uziq
+492|3422
kurdish fighters have been taking the most flak trying to contain and fight ISIS. a lot of their fighters are women. they are explicitly anti-radical islam. what the fuck is your problem, macbeth? are you just into it because you like getting off to war footage on reddit or liveleak or whatever?

it’s an absolute disgrace that america just gave turkey the nod after years of supporting the kurds. and for what? a new trump hotel. it’s so depraved.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Uzi wrote:

they are explicitly anti-radical islam.
They commit suicide bombings in Turkey. Suicide bombings are a very Muslim thing. Never heard of an IRA suicide bombings.

Trump did go about this the wrong way but I also fault Obama too. He should have forced the YPG to negotiate with Turkey and break ties with the PKK back in 2014 but we were too desperate for allies against ISIS.
uziq
+492|3422
suicide bombing became a thing in islam since the ayatollah explicitly framed it as a valid thing to do. before then to kill yourself was a massive sin in islam, which it remains in christianity.

let’s not hold the IRA up as saints because they didn’t suicide bomb places. they tried to assassinate a prime minister and killed plenty of people. catholic fundamentalists are perfectly capable of violence when it suits their ends. the very doctrine of ‘the ends justify the means’ is a piece of catholic jesuit theology. your cute little comparisons are very tiresome.

the kurds are equivalent to the uighurs or the palestinians. either you understand that oppressed people against vastly asymmetrical foes have to use dog tactics, where all other diplomacy and appeals to politics have failed, or you don’t. fair enough if you have an absolute pacifist principle. but the fact you delight in a bunch of rebel fighters getting bombed to oblivion out of the skies suggests you’re not quite a saintly non-violent person.

the kurds wanted to establish a tiny homeland in their place of origin, and not be ruled over like some minority status group in the ottoman empire. they’re not at risk of flooding europe with refugees or poisoning your beautiful white christian stock. honestly i can see no reason why you’d applaud this as good strategy. if anything they were containing the clusterfuck that is ISIS/syria. more so than the turks ever have, who have been playing a game of double-think geopolitics over the whole conflict.

trump just cut loose a key ally in the region who were holding 10,000 radical ISIS fighters as prisoners. the fallout is going to be huge and long-standing. and for what? because erdogan approved a hotel. please get off the pope’s dick and see how obscene the situation is.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-09 13:44:16)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am not delighting in the fact that they are about to get bombed. I think it is a terrible turn of events. I am just saying it's hypocritical of many of us to complain about Turkey doing the thing we empowered them to do. We built them up militarily and expected them to police their region but once they went ahead and did so we get squeamish. Turkey is still our NATO ally and helped us in Afghanistan so it would be ungrateful of us to not wish them luck I guess.
uziq
+492|3422
you have a very confusing grasp of what NATO is for. ditto afghanistan. obliterating ethnic minorities and subjugating republics is not its mission statement.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The PKK commits terrorist attacks in Turkey. That's a fact.
uziq
+492|3422
you'll be thrilled to know that graphic video footage of this is everywhere, macb..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ … ervers-say

Turkish-backed proxies leading a ground offensive on Kurdish-held border towns in north-eastern Syria have killed nine civilians including a female politician, a human rights monitor has claimed.

The civilians were executed on a highway after being taken for their cars by Turkish-backed militias who had crossed the border as the push into Syria deepened. The killings were captured on camera phones and the gruesome scenes have raised the spectre of ethnic bloodletting emerging five days into the Turkish offensive. Ankara’s proxies are Syrian Arabs from elsewhere in the country and their foes are Kurdish with long ties to the territory.

“The nine civilians were executed at different moments south of the town of Tal Abyad,” the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claimed.

A Kurdish political leader, Hevrin Khalaf, and her driver were among those killed on Saturday, according to Kurdish forces. Handheld videos shot by the assassins widely distributed on the internet also show several people being repeatedly shot by the verge of a road. Their killers are heard to shout insults as they fire their military weapons at them. US officials have suggested the footage is authentic.
dropping an ally and letting a bunch of syrian rebels summarily execute the political leaders of their minorities ... stay classy, america.

https://www.lykavitos.gr/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/siriasas-696x385.jpg

what an immense own goal by letting 'pro-turkey' syrian proxies ethnically cleanse the kurds. you're now funding wahhabism/ISIL nut jobs rather than propping up the bulwark against them.

The proxies are Syrian former rebels who had fought against the regime of the country’s president, Bashar al-Assad. before being co-opted early last year to fight Kurdish group’s in the north-western town of Afrin. Some of the rebel factions among the Turkish alliance had previously been supported by the US and Qatar in the early years of the Syrian war.

But as the war morphed into a series of intertwined conflicts and the Syrian opposition steadily disintegrated, rebel alliances shifted. The Arabs now leading the fighting have received widespread training and support from Turkey.
not that trump cares -- his latest hotel should be full of bookings by now. it'll be interesting to see how it pans out with all the freed ISIS prisoners running around the region, or, worse, to go underground again and reorganise.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-13 01:31:38)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's no such thing as an own goal when the intention is to cauldronise the middle east.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard