DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I recall reading recently that the reason hurricanes are so devastating in terms of cost these days is that even in areas not directly hit, large swathes of property can be damaged. Relief money pours in to revitalize the areas, and when the next years hurricane comes along, it is even more expensive than before.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

I recall reading recently that the reason hurricanes are so devastating in terms of cost these days is that even in areas not directly hit, large swathes of property can be damaged. Relief money pours in to revitalize the areas, and when the next years hurricane comes along, it is even more expensive than before.
And the guaranteed FEMA money gives people a reason to rebuild in risky locations rather than move further inland. We're paying for people to rebuild their vacation beach homes.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
If you tell these people they need to move inland they will flip out. There is so much space in the middle of the country for them but they are entitled as fuck.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Move inland and get hit by a tornado instead.
DesertFox-
It's a lot harder to get legit "hit" by a tornado than to be affected by a hurricane, unless you live near a trailer park. A tornado warning means you go outside and see if you can spot it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Move inland and get hit by a poverty instead.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
We have similar retards, insist on living in tinder dry forests, don't take out house insurance then expect the govt to rebuild their matchbox houses for them.
https://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/ausfire_02_09/a08_17906347.jpg
Probably should have picked a different building material eh.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-10-13 01:42:44)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
could be worse. in greece the land and property laws are so bent that people purposefully set fires in highly flammable areas so that they can squat the scorched earth and claim it as their own. huge swathes of forested land have been wasted this way. as well as several hundred lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am so sick of seeing trannies on Tinder. Like I am at my school desk browsing Tinder and all of a sudden see a man in a dress and lipstick. Makes me sick.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I had a fake meat impossible burger at Burger King a few weeks ago. They had a deal where you can get a real meat Whopper and an impossible Whopper at the same time to compare the taste.

I liked the fake meat burger but found it got dry quickly. I wouldn't order it as my first choice but would happily eat it if offered.

Has anyone tried one?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

i eat "fake meat" all the time. Why would I want to try a fake meat version of shitty hamberder?
DesertFox-
I'd like to get into some variety of it to reduce my beef consumption. There's a lot of vegetarians where I work who said they are put off by how meatlike some of the newer options are. Ostensibly, they're not really targeted at vegetarians who do so for animal-loving reasons, though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It's not much healthier than real meat from what I understand. The things have almost 4 times the sodium content of beef.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The last thing I want to eat is non-meat which tastes like meat, I don't like meat - thats why I don't eat it.
uziq
+492|3422
in any dish where the meat is traditionally just a carrier for a sauce or texture, like in a chilli or a bolognese or something, i tend to opt for something like a quorn-type substitute. if you're spending a few hours to make a tasteful and well-seasoned sauce, it's very hard to miss minced beef or whatever. i mean, is it really even that nice when you think about it?

not sure i'd go in a restaurant and sit down for a fake-meat steak. i can't see those occasional, one-off dishes leaving my diet any time soon.

don't really eat burgers that often but would tend to opt for a chicken burger nowadays, anyway. that's solely because the whole gourmet burger thing has been done to death over here in the last 5 years or so and my appetite for it has completely gone.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Beef stock is hard to replace, goulash soup was the only meet dish I ever enjoyed.
Ski all morning, gulaschsuppe and a beer for lunch, ski all afternooon - Austria was great.
uziq
+492|3422
beef stockpots are fine for home cooking simple recipes. i can't think of any time i use actual stock or gravy from a roasting tray except on the very spare occasion that i'm roasting huge amounts of meat for large meals. for mid-week food or everyday cuisine, grab a stock pot (insert marco pierre white joke).

two food fads that i am glad to see on the way out, and half the pop-up businesses with them, are pulled pork (or 'pulled' everything), i.e. repurpose the worst cuts of the animal and slather them in kilograms of sugary sauces*, and gourmet burgers, i.e. a regular burger with said sugary sauces or extra toppings at 3000% mark-up. i can't possibly miss even the premium steak burgers that i've had in my time.

(*i know that there are great ways to do pulled pork, like all bbq cuisine, before some affronted pseudo-Southerner blasts me for not having 'the real thing'.)

this is a little long, but he's one of the best things on british television (formerly the times restaurant critic), and has the whole thing about vegetarians-faking-meat-dishes-badly nailed, i think:

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-23 02:29:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My experience is if you take the beef out of a burger it becomes a whole lot better - a pickle, salad and mayonnaise roll without the leathery turd-like thing.
uziq
+492|3422
that's a hard pass for me.
DesertFox-
Something has gone awry in the previous steps if your burger can be described as leathery or turd-like.
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert lives in the outback. he probably has frozen burgers on a grill that are 75% sawdust and abattoir slurry.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

My experience is if you take the beef out of a burger it becomes a whole lot better - a pickle, salad and mayonnaise roll without the leathery turd-like thing.
I thought about this when I was eating the Whopper. How much was I enjoying the meat vs the onions, lettuce, mayo, ketchup and pickle overpowering the fake meat.

I would definitely not eat a fake meat steak. Steak is just too good.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I just substitute portobello in place of meat patties. Tastes great. Avocado sauce (or light oil if I'm lazy), spinach, onions, peppers. Or roll a nice futomaki.

I don't miss traditional burgers at all.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
The only condiment I need on meat is more meat. Maybe other animals products like butter or cheese. Steak with foie gras? Yes please. Bacon cheeseburger? Delish.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

The only condiment I need on meat is more meat. Maybe other animals products like butter or cheese. Steak with foie gras? Yes please. Bacon cheeseburger? Delish.
We know that you're greedy, selfish and short-sighted, there's no need to remind us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard