Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+478|2723

Jay wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I enjoy everyone's input. Take it to Debate and Series Talk Chat if you want a debate.
Nah, might run into Jay trying to flex over there. Better to stay in shallow waters.
His idea was stupid because everything he listed doesn't actually require college, but instead can be learned in trade schools.
???

Do you really want a doctor that went to university of Phoenix technical medical school? A teacher that learned how to teach at ITT technical teaching college? Trade schools in the U.S. are scams. I worked with people straight out of trade schools they don't learn shit and pay tens of thousands of dollars for it.

I was thinking of getting a teaching job at ITT technical school. I am fucking qualified to be a teacher there.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|5658

The guy behind 7-11 gives free blow jobs. Those are definitely free without the quotes.
uziq
Member
+400|2455

pirana6 wrote:

singular people don't NEED a real classical college education. But society does, and in turn some singular people DO need it.
yep, learning is intrinsically useless but without knowledge-for-knowledge's sake, society doesn't innovate or produce new ideas. the university is one of the few areas of human endeavour that needn't be pinned to a profit motive or made into a utilitarian exercise. where humans can just sit and ponder. it's great. seeing it as a conveyor belt to white-collar 401k oblivion betrays such a paucity of imagination.

Last edited by uziq (2015-09-28 15:24:07)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+478|2723
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4361|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:


Nah, might run into Jay trying to flex over there. Better to stay in shallow waters.
His idea was stupid because everything he listed doesn't actually require college, but instead can be learned in trade schools.
???

Do you really want a doctor that went to university of Phoenix technical medical school? A teacher that learned how to teach at ITT technical teaching college? Trade schools in the U.S. are scams. I worked with people straight out of trade schools they don't learn shit and pay tens of thousands of dollars for it.

I was thinking of getting a teaching job at ITT technical school. I am fucking qualified to be a teacher there.
No, not in their current form, but trade schools specializing in a single field is a totally viable idea. A school dedicated to training doctors and nurses outside of a traditional college environment? Sounds like a great idea. If all they want is to get to work they get to save the years of time they wasted in undergrad on classes they probably half-assed.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4361|London, England

pirana6 wrote:

singular people don't NEED a real classical college education. But society does, and in turn some singular people DO need it.
Very few. Your typical 9-5er doesn't require any of the knowledge obtained in an undergrad degree. All a degree has become is an easy way for lazy HR departments to weed out applicants. You know what would cause less societal harm and perform the same benefit? Making high school graduation a challenge rather than a participation award. Would save billions of dollars every year.

Now I'm not bashing education at all. I think education and knowledge are infinitely valuable, but I also think it's tragic that so many people attend college because they feel they have to, not because they give a cap about what they're taught.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5720

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:


His idea was stupid because everything he listed doesn't actually require college, but instead can be learned in trade schools.
???

Do you really want a doctor that went to university of Phoenix technical medical school? A teacher that learned how to teach at ITT technical teaching college? Trade schools in the U.S. are scams. I worked with people straight out of trade schools they don't learn shit and pay tens of thousands of dollars for it.

I was thinking of getting a teaching job at ITT technical school. I am fucking qualified to be a teacher there.
No, not in their current form, but trade schools specializing in a single field is a totally viable idea. A school dedicated to training doctors and nurses outside of a traditional college environment? Sounds like a great idea. If all they want is to get to work they get to save the years of time they wasted in undergrad on classes they probably half-assed.
yeah i wouldn't exactly want to get treated by a doctor that went to a trade school.

you realize why med school is over 4 years + undergrad years right? the amount of theory involved is immense.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,915|5635|949

med school has nothing on contract law though
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4361|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:


???

Do you really want a doctor that went to university of Phoenix technical medical school? A teacher that learned how to teach at ITT technical teaching college? Trade schools in the U.S. are scams. I worked with people straight out of trade schools they don't learn shit and pay tens of thousands of dollars for it.

I was thinking of getting a teaching job at ITT technical school. I am fucking qualified to be a teacher there.
No, not in their current form, but trade schools specializing in a single field is a totally viable idea. A school dedicated to training doctors and nurses outside of a traditional college environment? Sounds like a great idea. If all they want is to get to work they get to save the years of time they wasted in undergrad on classes they probably half-assed.
yeah i wouldn't exactly want to get treated by a doctor that went to a trade school.

you realize why med school is over 4 years + undergrad years right? the amount of theory involved is immense.
And?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+478|2723
How would admissions even work?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5720

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

med school has nothing on contract law though
falls under torts and criminal law m8
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,915|5635|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

med school has nothing on contract law though
falls under torts and criminal law m8
but can it solve the world's problems? Waiting patiently for a response under my desk with my tinfoil hat.  Please say it does!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5720

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

med school has nothing on contract law though
falls under torts and criminal law m8
but can it solve the world's problems? Waiting patiently for a response under my desk with my tinfoil hat.  Please say it does!
99%
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+560|5717|Purplicious Wisconsin

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:


???

Do you really want a doctor that went to university of Phoenix technical medical school? A teacher that learned how to teach at ITT technical teaching college? Trade schools in the U.S. are scams. I worked with people straight out of trade schools they don't learn shit and pay tens of thousands of dollars for it.

I was thinking of getting a teaching job at ITT technical school. I am fucking qualified to be a teacher there.
No, not in their current form, but trade schools specializing in a single field is a totally viable idea. A school dedicated to training doctors and nurses outside of a traditional college environment? Sounds like a great idea. If all they want is to get to work they get to save the years of time they wasted in undergrad on classes they probably half-assed.
yeah i wouldn't exactly want to get treated by a doctor that went to a trade school.

you realize why med school is over 4 years + undergrad years right? the amount of theory involved is immense.
You are forgetting the fucking gen eds and other forced requirements many colleges require. For fucksake, I had to choose a language to meet my two semesters worth of foreign language requirement, and my place only has 3 fucking options for languages.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
1927
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|5677|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Ive slowly been getting through G.O.T

I watched episode 9 of season 1 last night and the cunts cut Sean Beans head off.  Most people have said 'Carry on watching it gets even better' but ffs, what a cunty thing to go and do.

I still havent got a clue who the fuck is on who's side and who lives where etc, its nuts
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,744|5109|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

singular people don't NEED a real classical college education. But society does, and in turn some singular people DO need it.
Your typical 9-5er doesn't require any of the knowledge obtained in an undergrad degree.
Breadth and depth of knowledge, and knowledge of knowledge, is what differentiates good engineers from plodding technicians.

Do you need a 4 year degree to plod away in the same job for 40 years as you pay off your mortgage and put aside the rest into your death fund? No.

Is a classical degree useful if you want to break new ground, create new things or methods? I'd say its absolutely essential.

Whether its worthwhile for everyone to have a full degree in their chosen subject is arguable, most people - me included probably -  and society as a whole would be better off doing if they did a trade or technology course or ongoing training.
But here and there you do need people with a very deep understanding of what they, and other people, are doing.

I just finished a biography of Elon Musk - there's a guy who understands the fundamentals of many things.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-09-29 03:31:22)

#FreeBritney
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,744|5109|eXtreme to the maX
The fightback - it begins

https://i.imgur.com/o7wZPq8.jpg
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/worl … 7546681463

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-09-29 03:23:55)

#FreeBritney
Dauntless
Admin
+2,237|5746|London

1927 wrote:

Ive slowly been getting through G.O.T

I watched episode 9 of season 1 last night and the cunts cut Sean Beans head off.  Most people have said 'Carry on watching it gets even better' but ffs, what a cunty thing to go and do.

I still havent got a clue who the fuck is on who's side and who lives where etc, its nuts
Yeh I remember that bit. I was thinking "ugh this is SO predictable, someone is obviously going to come in and save him at the last minute..."
Then - kablam.

Still not sure why everyone loves the show so much though
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4361|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

singular people don't NEED a real classical college education. But society does, and in turn some singular people DO need it.
Your typical 9-5er doesn't require any of the knowledge obtained in an undergrad degree.
Breadth and depth of knowledge, and knowledge of knowledge, is what differentiates good engineers from plodding technicians.

Do you need a 4 year degree to plod away in the same job for 40 years as you pay off your mortgage and put aside the rest into your death fund? No.

Is a classical degree useful if you want to break new ground, create new things or methods? I'd say its absolutely essential.

Whether its worthwhile for everyone to have a full degree in their chosen subject is arguable, most people - me included probably -  and society as a whole would be better off doing if they did a trade or technology course or ongoing training.
But here and there you do need people with a very deep understanding of what they, and other people, are doing.

I just finished a biography of Elon Musk - there's a guy who understands the fundamentals of many things.
Sure, but most of his knowledge was obtained auto-didacticaly. People who want to learn find ways to learn whether they are in a formal classroom setting or not.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5720

War Man wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:


No, not in their current form, but trade schools specializing in a single field is a totally viable idea. A school dedicated to training doctors and nurses outside of a traditional college environment? Sounds like a great idea. If all they want is to get to work they get to save the years of time they wasted in undergrad on classes they probably half-assed.
yeah i wouldn't exactly want to get treated by a doctor that went to a trade school.

you realize why med school is over 4 years + undergrad years right? the amount of theory involved is immense.
You are forgetting the fucking gen eds and other forced requirements many colleges require. For fucksake, I had to choose a language to meet my two semesters worth of foreign language requirement, and my place only has 3 fucking options for languages.
top kek merika.

we don't have that mickey mouse bullshit in aus. You get maybe 2 gen eds in anything you want and the rest is just within your degree/major.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|5503|so randum
me and adums are sexes chatting
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4361|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

War Man wrote:

Cybargs wrote:


yeah i wouldn't exactly want to get treated by a doctor that went to a trade school.

you realize why med school is over 4 years + undergrad years right? the amount of theory involved is immense.
You are forgetting the fucking gen eds and other forced requirements many colleges require. For fucksake, I had to choose a language to meet my two semesters worth of foreign language requirement, and my place only has 3 fucking options for languages.
top kek merika.

we don't have that mickey mouse bullshit in aus. You get maybe 2 gen eds in anything you want and the rest is just within your degree/major.
I had to take 4 semesters of english, 2 semesters of history, 2 semesters of humanities electives, 2 semesters of hard science non-engineering electives plus stupid freshman orientation classes. All told it tacked on an extra year of school. The theory is that it creates a better rounded graduate but all I saw were classmates sitting stone faced through classes they didn't care about.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,714|5740|Oxferd Ohire
I liked most of my electives. Even the religion classes, which were more history based.

Last edited by RTHKI (2015-09-29 06:18:59)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Pocshy2.0
Member
+23|2374

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

War Man wrote:


You are forgetting the fucking gen eds and other forced requirements many colleges require. For fucksake, I had to choose a language to meet my two semesters worth of foreign language requirement, and my place only has 3 fucking options for languages.
top kek merika.

we don't have that mickey mouse bullshit in aus. You get maybe 2 gen eds in anything you want and the rest is just within your degree/major.
I had to take 4 semesters of english, 2 semesters of history, 2 semesters of humanities electives, 2 semesters of hard science non-engineering electives plus stupid freshman orientation classes. All told it tacked on an extra year of school. The theory is that it creates a better rounded graduate but all I saw were classmates sitting stone faced through classes they didn't care about.
That does seem pretty wasteful. Engineers in Canada take a few non-engineering electives (usually 2, I think) plus some 'soft' engineering courses called Praxis which sounds like a better version of forcing you to take 4 semesters of English. Praxis is a writing course for Engineers to assist in turning data into reports. Orientation classes are not a thing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4361|London, England

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:


top kek merika.

we don't have that mickey mouse bullshit in aus. You get maybe 2 gen eds in anything you want and the rest is just within your degree/major.
I had to take 4 semesters of english, 2 semesters of history, 2 semesters of humanities electives, 2 semesters of hard science non-engineering electives plus stupid freshman orientation classes. All told it tacked on an extra year of school. The theory is that it creates a better rounded graduate but all I saw were classmates sitting stone faced through classes they didn't care about.
That does seem pretty wasteful. Engineers in Canada take a few non-engineering electives (usually 2, I think) plus some 'soft' engineering courses called Praxis which sounds like a better version of forcing you to take 4 semesters of English. Praxis is a writing course for Engineers to assist in turning data into reports. Orientation classes are not a thing.
One of my required English courses was technical writing, which was honestly fairly useful. I actually enjoyed most of these classes, but for the "go to college to get a job" crowd they were frustrating additions.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard