m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
err all the time?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
+52|5953|Perth, indian ocean
Silva just went full Overeem
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
Goddamit Overeem. Sonnen looked good, he shouldn't have a problem taking down wanderlei if that fights does eventuate.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

big fights this weekend
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
that was the best card I'e ever seen, can't think of a card that tops it
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

UFC 100.  But yes, it was a good card.
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
Ooooooh this made me cringe. Nice check by Weidman, hope Silva has a speedy recovery that break was straight up nasty!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

pathetic fight card this past weekend.
Ivan Kara
+0|3840
has anyone watched any of the glory cards on spike yet? I keep missing them but i heard they good.

kickboxing is the shit after all
https://i.imgur.com/3FTmOON.gif
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Ivan Kara wrote:

has anyone watched any of the glory cards on spike yet? I keep missing them but i heard they good.

kickboxing is the shit after all
I've seen a few of them.  They are hit or miss. I like Duke Roufus' commentary though

Machida vs. Mousasi on 2/15! I'll be on a plane though
Ivan Kara
+0|3840
I am not happy about this match up. I think Gegard is champion material but I don't think he can beat Machida. The way to beat Lyoto is by keeping him pressured. Mousasi is too lazy a fighter to do that. The one cool thing is that Machida will probably get the title shot after he beats him. Of the 3 people in line, Vitor, Jacare, and Machida, I think Lyoto has the best chance of beating Weidman. Vitor is 50/50. I am not sold on Jacare.

Where are you going?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Gegard is a pretty solid fighter though.  I've seen him absolutely woop on people, and his main weakness has been his wrestling - something Lyoto won't even fuck with.  I'm looking forward to this fight a lot.  Two counter punchers usually means a lot of feinting and pawing but I think they will both find some openings.  Plus I really like watching Gegard fight.

Flying to Taiwan this saturday, then to Hong Kong, then to Thailand for the weekend.  Just a quick business trip then stopping by Thailand to see my dad for a few days.
Ivan Kara
+0|3840
Make sure to buy a companion when you visit Thailand.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

never paid for pussy and don't plan on starting
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Your loss.

UFC 170 sucked. The only fight that was interesting was the MacDonald-Maia fight. The DC-Cummings fight should have never had happened. The UFC should be ashamed they tried to sell that as a co-main event. Then they wonder why their PPVs are in decline. The Ronda fight was looking so good until Herb Dean fucked it up. Second title fight in a row he blew. The "best ref in the business" my ass.

Last 3 cards have been shit completely. It is equal parts the UFC's and the fighters fault. I wish there was a Japanese organization that had Pride rules, a ring, and money.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am really sick of the hate people have for Jon Jones. I wonder what it is about Jones that people have to find every reason to criticize him.
https://giant.gfycat.com/HappygoluckyUncomfortableAsiansmallclawedotter.gif

Legal and very smart move. I have never seen someone use that in a match before.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

people hate on him because he's super cocky and comes across as a dirty fighter (even if everything he does is legal).  Kicking Rashad and Rampage's knee straight on is legal but dirty.  Those eye pokes, while maybe not intentional, are suspect.  His cockiness and overall attitude aren't really fan friendly.

I was a big Jon Jones fan early on but he lost me with his attitude.  I'll still pay to watch him fight every time though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There are a lot more cocky fighters than Jones. He doesn't taunt in the ring like Silva, Werdum, Nick, Nate, and a bunch of others. He is all business. He is on the road to being considered the greatest fighter of all time. Of course he has reason to confident. I understand the knee can be damaged by that kick but a person can be killed by head kick. It is bizarre to think hurting a knee is any worse than brain damage.

Speaking of Werdum, I totally was expecting Browne to knock him out. He did so well in that fight that I think he has a very solid chance at beating Cain. Then again, I'm very bias in his favor. He is my mancrush.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Sure, there are a lot of cocky fighters.  All those guys come across as more 'real' than Jones.  Jones comes across as a fake dude.  He talks about being humble and respectful but whether or not he makes a conscious effort towards it, he just comes across as not genuine.  I think I mentioned that in this thread before.

I think Nick Diaz is an idiot too but I will always pay to watch that guy fight.  He's one of my favorites.

i didn't say it was worse, just that it's kind of a dirty move.  Same with checking a kick with your knee like Weidman did.  Not illegal, but not necessarily going to win you any friends, either.

I think the talent gap between Cain and Browne is huuuuge.  Werdum definitely has a chance because he's a bit of a mismatch for Cain.  Cain will have to be wary of staying on the ground (or being tricked into going there or having Werdum pull guard), but on the feet Cain is far better than Werdum.  It should be a good fight.

Do you want me to get a picture of Werdum in training for you? I have a buddy that trains at Kings MMA in HB, and I know Werdum trains there most of the time.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Chael failed a random drug test leading up to UFC 175.  That card is a shit show.  He's probably never fighting in the UFC again
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
And people gave Vitor shit about cheating... Vitor wasn't fighting at 175? Anyway, I think the commissions are hurting the sport with random testing and bad rule sets. I don't care what fighters take as long as they put on good fights. Pride was perfect. Japan has it right.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Disagree.  Pride put on bad and good fights, it's just that the good fights were REALLY good.  There were plenty of freak show matches and FIXED fights(!!!!) in Pride.

Pride rules that were good and need to be adopted by the international MMA community:
no elbows on the ground
yellow cards/purse fines for inaction
Judging based on the entirety of the fight as opposed to round by round

Pride rules that were terrible:
No drug testing
freak shows across multiple weight classes
soccer kicks on the ground

etc etc.  I'm sure I missed a bunch but that's just off the top of my head.

PED/substance abuse cheating is wrong and there should be an effort to eradicate it as much as possible.  Your mindset is akin to the approach of many stupid American so-called neoliberals.  It's a very short-sighted approach to something that should be addressed as part of a long-term sustainability.  I usually hate to mix sports and politics or economics but I think the comparison is apt.

By the way, Chael retired today.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You aren't a fan of soccer kicks? Most fights were stopped after a second or third kick anyway. Do you at least think knees to the head of ground opponents are fair? I can live with no soccer kicks if knees were allowed. I also think up kicks on grounded opponents should be allowed. Both of those changes would go a long way to stopping lay and pray. I love Damien Maia but it really pissed me off that he could shoot for 20 takedowns and not worry about getting knocked out for screwing one up. He was in the perfect position for a few in his fight with Rory.

The judging rules and yellow cards go back to the problem with commissions. The NSAC has too much power. Other promotions in the U.S. can't tinker with their rules unless NSAC decides it's a time to look at modifying the unified rule set. I think the heavyweight class should be openweight. I also liked the one night tournaments. How do you feel about both of those?

All things considered, if you had the choice between the UFC using its current rule set or going full Pride, would you really stick with the unified rule set? Drug testing and fixed fights obviously aside.

I'm fine with that. I never liked him as a person or fighter.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You aren't a fan of soccer kicks? Most fights were stopped after a second or third kick anyway. Do you at least think knees to the head of ground opponents are fair? I can live with no soccer kicks if knees were allowed. I also think up kicks on grounded opponents should be allowed. Both of those changes would go a long way to stopping lay and pray. I love Damien Maia but it really pissed me off that he could shoot for 20 takedowns and not worry about getting knocked out for screwing one up. He was in the perfect position for a few in his fight with Rory.

The judging rules and yellow cards go back to the problem with commissions. The NSAC has too much power. Other promotions in the U.S. can't tinker with their rules unless NSAC decides it's a time to look at modifying the unified rule set. I think the heavyweight class should be openweight. I also liked the one night tournaments. How do you feel about both of those?

All things considered, if you had the choice between the UFC using its current rule set or going full Pride, would you really stick with the unified rule set? Drug testing and fixed fights obviously aside.

I'm fine with that. I never liked him as a person or fighter.
no, soccer kicks are super dangerous and shouldn't be in the game.  Same with knees to the head of downed opponents.  You're just asking for head/neck trauma and potential paralyzation if those were allowed.

Lay and Pray can be resolved by the use of yellow cards.  There's a difference between trying to improve position and just laying on top of a guy.  There are existing rules to deal with this, the refs just need to actually enforce them.  Just recently there was a fight stopped due to timidity of one of the fighters...that's a good thing.

Open weight is good for a grappling match, bad once you start allowing strikes.  I do think they should have a super heavyweight class, but that's usually fatties like Tim Sylvia and Bob Sapp who are more freaks than athletes.

I really liked one night tournaments too.  I'd like to see those come back, but there is definitely a health risk involved in allowing people to get hit in the head a bunch in one night.  It's a tough idea to navigate through - how do you appease the fans, promoters and fighters while still maintaining fighter safety?

The commissions are supposed to be there for fighter safety, insurance and to help make sure fighters get paid.  In addition to all the rules regarding fighting, they also regulate the promoters and handle financial arrangements (like putting the fighters' show money into escrow accounts to make sure they don't get stiffed), coordinate insurance payments and liability, etc.  I like the idea of regulation.  The NSAC has the power they do simply because of experience.  They are the de facto leader because most fights in the US happen in Las Vegas.  The NJSAC was actually the first athletic commission to adopt the unified rules, so it's not like the Nevada commission has always taken the lead.  It's actually the opposite of what you describe - there is no unified body regulating MMA in the US or the world, for that matter.  You have to get changes from the outside done on a commission by commission basis as opposed to one regulating body adopting rule changes.  People in the industry just tend to adopt rule-sets proposed by the NSAC because they have a lot of experience and therefore tend to allocate more resources into trying to better the sport.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
How many serious injuries has there been stemming from soccer kicks and knees? I can't think of any.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard