Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
I like burnzz's photos.  Don't know why you guys are making such a big deal out of it.  It's nice having a semi-real connection to the photographer taking them, allows you to ask questions about the locations and what not as opposed to looking at anonymous google images landscapes. 

Burnz don't listen to the hate
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
i like his photos too. i've complimented them. but when i started a conversation (separate to-) about HDR photos he flipped his shit.

listen to the 10 mins of this in still repose and chill out

Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

Thanks, Spearhead. At this point in my photography (i still feel i have so much to learn), i don't know if i'm traveling to take pictures, or if taking pictures is why i'm traveling.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i like his photos too. i've complimented them. but when i started a conversation (separate to-) about HDR photos he flipped his shit.
uzique, have you considered that the manner in which you start a conversation might have anything to do with the reaction that you get?

Anyways, i'm going to Hawaii at the end of next month. if this account is unlocked by then, i'll gladly post in the appropriate forum.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

Steve-0 wrote:

Lake Tahoe

I've visited the southern shore and had lunch there at a small park by the water.

One of my housemates is going to the US next Thursday to give a talk as part of her PhD (medical research forum). All expenses paid. I'm jealous as all fuck.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-07-27 07:07:24)

Steve-0
+214|3930|SL,UT

i'm jealous too - there is something about traveling that is special, and having someone else pay for you to see more of the world is

this is as far south on the lake we got;

https://i.imgur.com/HbTL8sf.jpg

that lake is too dam cold, even in the summertime.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Cold water in the mountains with trees all around > muggy 80 degree water with tacky 70's era buildings built as far as the eye can see

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-07-27 07:32:58)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

Steve-0 wrote:

i'm jealous too - there is something about traveling that is special, and having someone else pay for you to see more of the world is

this is as far south on the lake we got;

that lake is too dam cold, even in the summertime.
These are just happy snaps but just to give you an idea:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/296364_10150421783899937_3422687_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/223747_10150421784074937_357511_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/228863_10150421784269937_1630232_n.jpg

Think we got a dirty hotdog from that little kitchen there

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295748_10150421784454937_4604482_n.jpg

My brother (right) and his best mate sitting on the bench to the right, looking at their iPhones
Steve-0
+214|3930|SL,UT

Jaekus wrote:

These are just happy snaps but just to give you an idea
This. it's what i'm saying about photography - the pictures you've taken and shared here are just as important and meaningful as any i've taken.

when i use my camera, my first thought isn't "can i sell this" or "will someone see this as high art", it is "i want to recall being here, and this is what i'm seeing now".

i may spend a little more time in front of my computer processing my pictures than most. what happens to me when i do, is that magical feeling of being back at that place, of recapturing of what i saw before i pushed a button on a camera.

i could not give a flying fuck if someone doesn't deem my pictures as "art". i care about making an image that reminds me of a time and place.

i'd really like to take this to another thread, and post more about other places i've been.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Only person here today, Radiohead setting the mood.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
make a new thread in ee then
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
i do think photography and the visual is over-privileged in today's society. people take photos of everything. there was a time when a photo was a figurative mnemonic snapshot of a time & place, but nowadays the all-pervasive nature of cameras and photos has removed that lustre, a little, i think. people photograph everything, and the photo medium is starting to pre-empt reality. look at all the people who can't go to a public event or a concert or an art gallery without having to... photograph or film the whole thing. it's because photography is so embedded in web2.0 social media: it's a 'snap it to document that you were there' thing (q.v. burnzz's above comment about a confusion of motivations, between the trip-in-itself and the photography-for-itself). i guess you could schematize it generally as photography going from an internal-personal 'memory' thing to an external-social 'look what i'm doing' display; the 'photo-album' format moving from the family chest to the virtual space. people always take photographs - of locations, of foods, of nights-out - because it's almost as if, by pressing the shutter button down, they are making their experience real. that's a little frightening (not to mention wearying) for me. holographic futures.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-27 08:42:21)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Why spend money on a vacation when you can just go to wikipedia and see any location in the world?  /sarcasm

Whats creepy is that in the next 20 or 30 years they'll probably have interactive video games for tourists.  Download it and walk around a photo-realistic 3d representation of a famous landmark, like a documentary style Bioshock game or something.  Perhaps they will even have smells and touch and temperature made possible by augmented reality suits.  All in the comfort of your living room.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

Why spend money on a vacation when you can just go to wikipedia and see any location in the world?  /sarcasm

Whats creepy is that in the next 20 or 30 years they'll probably have interactive video games for tourists.  Download it and walk around a photo-realistic 3d representation of a famous landmark, like a documentary style Bioshock game or something.  Perhaps they will even have smells and touch and temperature made possible by augmented reality suits.  All in the comfort of your living room.
That might be cool. I hate tourists.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Tourist hate is so lame
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Tourist hate is so lame
You don't them getting in your way every day. Every day I'm going through Penn Station and the area around it and all I see are people walking aimlessly trying to figure out where they are and where they're going, or hauling around suitcases on wheels behind them, or stopping in inconvenient places like the middle of a walkway. Great, come to the city, look around, see the sites, whatever, enjoy yourselves, I'll even give you directions to Times Square if you ask, if it will get you out of high traffic commuter areas more quickly.. I just hate when I'm in a hurry and purposeless people are wandering and meandering in front of me.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Planless, indecisive people in general annoy me, and when most people go on vacation they lose their fucking minds.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
wut
bennisboy
+829|6617|Poundland
I love Tahoe, been there skiing about 6 times. Went in the Summer in 2011 as well. South Lake Tahoe had changed so much in the few years since I'd been there, it was quite weird/cool.

Went swimming in the lake, which was pretty damn refreshing. I love mountain lakes
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

wut
go wut yer mum
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
shes sleeping
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Jay wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

every european you met secretly thought you were fat and brash.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Spearhead wrote:

well that's literally the way people 'consume' and 'reify' experiences now. nothing is validated and hasn't experientially or existentially happened unless it is on film or video. "why spend money on a..." music concert when you're going to view the whole thing through your iphone screen, held 20cm aloft? this subtle shift in behaviour has already happened. people value the photograph of an event over the actual lived-memory of it. people don't even trust or cherish their memories anymore, in fact: the SD-card has superseded the imagination.
Cisse
+63|4339
whenever I see someone at an event constantly standing there taking pictures I want to take their picture taking device and smash them in the face with it
pooppooppooppoophttps://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/Samtheman53/Sigs/6z8doqc.gif
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

every european you met secretly thought you were fat and brash.
That's nice.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire

Cisse wrote:

whenever I see someone at an event constantly standing there taking pictures I want to take their picture taking device and smash them in the face with it
why
what kind of event

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard