Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
Aussie/NZ music scene seems to exist in this weird spatio-temporal bubble about a decade behind everyone else.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Pink

Woohoo
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6472|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Got photo accreditation to Puistoblues (Parkblues in ingles) next saturday. Not really a fan of blues, but hey atleast I get more exp on live gigs with my camera.

George Thorogood & The Destroyers and some other bands I've never heard of are playing.
Well nice fucking job security and organizers! First 3 gigs went more than fine and I got nice pics and then started the "yes but no" - show. Got a press info that said no pics after the second song and the photopit is not available at all during Thorogood. Ok, then I'll just make my way to the front and shoot what I can since I'm a tall guy. Well. 30min before the gig starts the host speaker or whatever says that during the first two songs you can't take pics but then it's gogo. Ooookei? As I was in the front, I stopped a security member and asked which was correct. The thing on my paper, or what was just said. She replied that the paper was wrong and what was said is right. Ok, fine then, more pics for me! Nope. After the second tune I take off my lens cover and start pointing at the stage, a security dude stops me and says no go. Well what the duck? Had a brief argument about what was said 30min earlier and he said things changed. Nice. Got pretty mad and got the hell away from the stage and towards the exit when I spotted some more security. Told them I wanted to see some management and they called some. Explained them what was going on and they were all sorry and said that things changed in a hurry and then it was no go afterall. Riiiight. They also told me that they weren't going to stop me if I took pics further away. Yeah well. Told them that it doesn't matter since I couldn't use the material anywhere because of this fuckup. Idiots ruined a good day. Got so pissed about the whole thing that I went home instead of watching the rest of the gig. Good thing for Puistoblues that I don't write about the gigs...
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4193|Oklahoma
Are you taking pics just for yourself or are you using them to some degree professionally?
Ultrafunkula

For a website. That gives me free entrance to them gigs
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON
I'm going to TomorrowLand 2014 and TomorrowWorld.

Both are huge EDM concerts.  Hopefully they have better artist lineup than that POS ripoff Sensations.
Alpha as fuck.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
no EDM concert has a good line-up. it's EDM. if you make such a nice wage, take a trip to europe. london/berlin. or even ibiza. or a summer festival somewhere like outlook, croatia, or melt, germany. guarantee 1000x better than a corporate 'EDM' show in america, full of frats and girls in day-glo.
Brasso
+1,549|6628

taylor swift was amazing as expected. there was a massive thunderstorm though, so the concert was delayed and she cut three songs.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

no EDM concert has a good line-up. it's EDM. if you make such a nice wage, take a trip to europe. london/berlin. or even ibiza. or a summer festival somewhere like outlook, croatia, or melt, germany. guarantee 1000x better than a corporate 'EDM' show in america, full of frats and girls in day-glo.
TomorrowLand is in Belgium and arguably the pre-cursor to what made EDM famous in North America.  All word of mouth.
Alpha as fuck.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
oh christ you're going to a european hardstyle festival
baggs
+732|6202
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

oh christ you're going to a european hardstyle festival
Not really hardstyle, more trance/house/electro-house.  It started off as a trance festival but the last few years have evolved into more "house-y" artists.

You can see the progression of artists in the last few years:

2013     180,000     July 26–28     Tiësto, Armin van Buuren, Carl Cox, Sebastian Ingrosso, Fedde le Grand, Avicii, Steve Aoki, Hardwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Nervo Twins, Headhunterz, Arty, Markus Schulz
2012     180,000     July 27–29     David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, Carl Cox, Paul van Dyk, Avicii, Afrojack, Steve Aoki, Skrillex, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Nervo Twins, Hardwell
2011     180,000     July 22–24     Faithless, 2 Many DJ's, David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, DJ Tiesto, Avicii, Paul van Dyk, Carl Cox Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
2010     120,000     July 24–25     David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, Chuckie, Armin Van Buuren, Dada Life, Roger Sanchez
2009     90,000     July 25–26     Push, Natural Born Deejays, Sash!, Moby, Felix Da Housecat, David Guetta, Paul van Dyk
2008     ca.50,000     July 26– 27     Carl Cox, Armin van Buuren, Claude Young, Deadmau5, Dominik Eulberg, Ellen Allien
2007     ca.50,000     July 28–29     Paul van Dyk, Roger Sanchez, David Guetta, Sander Kleinenberg, Bob Sinclar, Jeff Mills
2006     15,000     July 20     Armin Van Buuren, David Guetta, Fred Baker, Zany, Ruthless, Marco Bailey
2005     10,000     August 14     Push, Armin Van Buuren, Cor Fijneman, Yves Deruyter, Technoboy, Coone

Seeing Skrillex and Steve Aoki on that list makes me want to vomit.

I'm not a huge fan of house/electrohouse, it's above average for my taste.  My love still lies with progressive, balearic, and epic (some call it uplifting) trance.  Even my favorite Armin Van Buuren is devolving too much into the alternative trance scene (a mix of pop and trance).

Some of the legacy trance artists that are simply awesome are Chicane, Sigur Ros (when he collaborates), Alexander Popov, Paul Van Dyk (one of the few trance artists who hasn't embraced the mainstream house scene), BT (his music is weird these days, a bit too contemporary for me), original Tiesto/AVB/Corsten, Blank & Jones, Cressida, Orion, Mauro Picotto, Lemon & Einar K, etc.  AVB mixed alot of the original trance artists in his very early episodes of A State of Trance (where he was still speaking Dutch).

Some of the mix casts I listen to these days are:
A State of Trance by Armin Van Buuren
Trance Around the World by Above & Beyond (now defunct)
Group Therapy Radio by Above & Beyond (successor to the above)
Laptop Symphonies by BT
Elysium by Derek Sanders

While most of the songs they pick for their mixes are very generic (I've listened to tens of THOUSANDS of trance tracks now so things get a bit bland by this point), every now and then they select a good one which I end up downloading.  I've listened to so much trance played by these mixers I can usually tell the track name and artist within the first 30 seconds of listening to it.

Anyways, I digress.

Last edited by Nyte (2013-07-25 01:44:07)

Alpha as fuck.
Ultrafunkula

Got some gigs to shoot.

The 69 Eyes next month. Soundgarden and Serj Tankian in september and Airbourne in november. Soundgarden is probably going to be a no-go, since I don't work for the yellow press who always get accredited instead of the ppl who actually enjoy taking pics.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
nyte for the last 10 years or so the only place you'll hear 'balearic' trance is at about one clubnight a week on the island. the far more commonly used term is 'balearic house' (or even 'balearic chillout'). trance is cheeeeesy, man.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
Seeing Karnivool at Luna Park on Sunday week. Keen!
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

nyte for the last 10 years or so the only place you'll hear 'balearic' trance is at about one clubnight a week on the island. the far more commonly used term is 'balearic house' (or even 'balearic chillout'). trance is cheeeeesy, man.
There is so many categories for electronic music now I can't catch up.

I don't even know how house and balearic style would mix...

There is cheesy trance of course, just gotta wade through the lot for the good ones.  Anything remotely "techno"y trance is bound to be cheesy IMO.

I was really hoping progressive trance would take off in the last few years but alas  house style trance beat it.  Progressive had that simple yet melodic feel to it.
Alpha as fuck.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
you don't know how house and balearic would mix? dude, balearic's entire history is in house. 'balearic' to 99% of people means a style of chilled/blissed out house music, normally involving tribal drumming and mediterranean/african samples. that's how it has been since, like the 80's. trance is not an ibiza 'institution'. saying you don't know how house and balearic would mix is hilarious.

techno is probably the least cheesy genre of all electronic music. it is rough and tough. there is nothing cheesy about a night spent in an ex-power station in berlin. trance and hardcore are by far the most cheesy and kind of cringe-worthy genres. either a bunch of dudes in neon clothing putting their hands in the air faking a religious orgasm or a bunch of dutch trailer-trash on bad pills stamping their feet to neo-nazi music.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-25 15:31:46)

Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you don't know how house and balearic would mix? dude, balearic's entire history is in house. 'balearic' to 99% of people means a style of chilled/blissed out house music, normally involving tribal drumming and mediterranean/african samples. that's how it has been since, like the 80's. trance is not an ibiza 'institution'. saying you don't know how house and balearic would mix is hilarious.

techno is probably the least cheesy genre of all electronic music. it is rough and tough. there is nothing cheesy about a night spent in an ex-power station in berlin. trance and hardcore are by far the most cheesy and kind of cringe-worthy genres. either a bunch of dudes in neon clothing putting their hands in the air faking a religious orgasm or a bunch of dutch trailer-trash on bad pills stamping their feet to neo-nazi music.
I associate balearic with chilled out music.  I associate house with something more upbeat and in most mainstream cases your typical 4-chord stuff.

At least the balearic tracks I have, they have very low bpm and it's hard for me to tell if they are 4-chord.  That's usually how I tell if something is house or not.  Maybe the early balearic stuff was more house but of recent it's been more trance.

I tried listening to techno years ago, not my cup of tea.  And of recent I checked out the techno channel on di.fm.  Still not feeling it.  It doesn't have the same uplifting feel that epic trance does.  I need that slow ramp up to audio climax.  There's just this feeling I can't describe of blissful energy once the chorus is hit.

FYI, I don't associate myself with those wannabe ravers/bandwagon hoppers that you're describing.  I feel like they aren't there to enjoy the music but moreso there for drugs/sex or whatever.  Mind you I've only been to 3 "festivals".  2 were outdoor and 1 was indoor.  The 2 outdoors one I brought a straw mat and we just ended up lying on a nearby field drinking and smoking up while relaxing to sweet trance music.

The indoor one fucking sucked because it was a bunch of hard house music.  Everyone was jumping up and down salivating to the no-name DJ's and the electronic centerstage.  I tried to join in on the bandwagon but alas my feet grew tired and I ended up going to the stands to surf on my iPhone.

It's probably not your taste but I can't see how you can NOT like something like this:

Parano - Twilight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevOThaIR30

Chicane - Offshore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEN4OCJ0DI

BT - Dark Garden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JWq2m3-17Y

I feel like you may have been subjected to just some REALLY bad trance and it has biased/soured your taste forever.  Because honestly these tracks aren't that far off from the standard fare on Boiler Room.  Or you have just been hearing too much pop-like mainstream trance/house from well-known artists.  Although it's not generally true for all well-known artists, some of them still do cater to grassroots listeners and even introduce new sub-genres from time to time.  BT for example is a well-known experimenter.  AVB still does classical trance from time to time.

Not all trance is cheesy rave music.  The electronic loving "pretenders" give it a bad rap, the sheer number of these fans impresses the DJ's which in turn force them to make MORE of that kind of music.  It's a cycle which will eventually implode with every generation of bandwagon music from which it will eventually return to grassroots.  It's happened so many times in history that it has become too predictable.

Give the 3 tracks above a try and let me know what you think honestly.
Alpha as fuck.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
uk techno

"SURGEON = ADVANCED TECHNO FIGHTER"
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Tonight, Karnivool!

Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Recently bought tickets to the double headline tour for Nine Inch Nails + Queens of the Stone Age
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Just saw Nine Inch Nails + Queens of the Stone Age, both in Sydney on Friday and last night in Newcastle (about two hours north of Sydney). Fucking awesome shows!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1898178_10152677815289937_875264264_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1922229_10152683115219937_1449620289_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/10007509_10152677815459937_1194378028_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1972545_10152677816009937_1229705519_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1779876_10152677813259937_2101870225_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1900004_10152681059199937_108310063_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1898188_10152677816169937_864827735_n.jpg

Last edited by Jaekus (2014-03-08 21:30:10)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
https://www.frontiertouring.com/web_images/1581/kylie_928x400_NEW.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Strange
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
I read that Aussies want Kylie to compete at the European Song Contest, where Australia has been invited for the 60th anniversary.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard