Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

An audio clip from a sub-plot in a film which is primarily focussed on visuals and spectacle is hardly a good indicator of its quality. The film isn't about harvesting second brains it's about giant robots fighting giant monsters.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

Ty wrote:

Pacific Rim

Honestly I loved it. It's not afraid to be what it is; a spectacular cartoonish monster vs. robot slug-fest. But it has a brain and it has a purpose and it's helmed by a talented director who has a clear love and understanding of the subject matter. It doesn't feel the need to weigh itself down with the now cliche attitude every action film seems to have nowadays, it just presents huge exciting battles between monster and machine while making sure the characters are fleshed out enough to care about, (for the most part at least,) and the story's going somewhere.

Definitely one of the best films I've seen recently and well worth going to see in a giant popcorn-scented theatre.
I'm off to see it tomorrow.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

Ty wrote:

Pacific Rim

Honestly I loved it.
Admit it, you only love it because you actually live there.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
The Dictator wtfbad/10

Only good part is at the end when he starts ranting about how America should be a dictatorship.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
he doesn't rant about how it 'should be'. it's a sardonic speech pointing out the ways IT ALREADY IS.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

he doesn't rant about how it 'should be'. it's a sardonic speech pointing out the ways IT ALREADY IS.
Yes, yes, I know.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
america is a failed empire.

journal d'un curé de campagne - 9/10.

magnifique! a veritable tour de force.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

globefish23 wrote:

Ty wrote:

Pacific Rim

Honestly I loved it.
Admit it, you only love it because you actually live there.
Well a lot of people do.

Thought it would have been cool if every Pacific Rim country got a Jaeger. Might have been the case at one point but the movie takes place when only four are left, (Russian, Chinese, Australian and American.) Australian one is coolest I reckon though it comes with the awful Australian accents of its pilots.
[Blinking eyes thing]
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

Just been to see it. Twas awesome. Nice balance between character time and all out balls to the wall action, and the soundtrack was epic.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
> 3d movies about robots
> character development

pick one.
pretty sure ibsen didn't write any scripts for robot battles.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

hitnrun you seem so dissatisfied with such terrible movies (fair point) that i wonder why you continue watching so many. do you not know of anywhere to find good movies outside of the box office?
Well, of the last few crappy rating ones:

Cash Back was recommended by several friends for being very artistic and deep. I should have understood that as "emo."

Gothika was recommended by several other friends for being a really good trippy thiller movie "If you liked Sixth Sense, you will LOVE Gothika."

Identity Thief I expected to be funny. Jason Bateman, Jon Favreau, Amanda Peet, Robert Patrick... I like all of them... Melissa McCarthy hasn't really done anything I like and really gets on my nerves, but I keep expecting her to do SOMETHING funny to make me see why everyone loves her so much. I am sure I will watch The Heat when it comes out...

The Host my wife wanted to see. She had read the book and it was "so much better than that Twilight crap." Which led to "The book was SO much better than the movie." Which it would have to be.

Regardless, we don't watch a ton of movies anymore because they all seem so crappy. There is a lot I want to see that is coming out, but it will have to wait until DVD for most of them. And a lot of those will probably end up being crappy, but I can hope.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6546|London
Pacific Rim 8/10
Oblivion 7/10
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6723|Toronto, ON
Man of Steel 7.5/10
Pacific Rim 8.5/10
World War Z 5/10
Alpha as fuck.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
thank you for smoking 8
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

world war z was the best zombie movie i have seen in awhile. which doesn't say much about the genre
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
21 & Over: 1/10
To be fair, I quit at the halfway point. To be doubly fair, it is only the second movie in the last 5 years that was so bad I had to just turn it off. I couldn't even occupy myself with other work while it was on, cause it was too annoying to ignore. The extent of the "humor" in this movie was bad language. Every other sentence was a curse word, and I guess that is supposed to be funny. Every person in the movie was a douchebag. The main characters were douches. The people they ran into on their journey were douches. The parents were douches. Actually, that's not fair... I would rather hang out with literal douchebags than with the characters in this movie.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone: 8/10

I was expecting this to be terrible. It is overall rated poorly... But we laughed through the whole thing. It may not be Oscar winning material, but it was funny and enjoyable. I was very happy we grabbed this one tonight.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
Jack the Giant Slayer: 5/10
Pretty meh. Could have been better. Could have been worse. I think the biggest problem with this is that is was just too middle of the road on everything. It tried to be a dark violent scary... family movie? Yeah, it was touted as a family movie... But it was too scary for the little kids, but incredibly edited away from actually showing anything... Half the army in the movie were killed, but none were really shown... But then exploding eyeballs further creeped out the kids. Had a lot of potential... It just never went anywhere and couldn't make up its mind.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I thought The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was better than reviews as well, but it did resolve itself a bit too effortlessly even for a comedy. 6/10
On the matter of magician movies, I'll throw Oz: The Great and Powerful a 7. Unrelated to that score, what was the point of the haughty black munchkin and where did he get his manner of speech? Certainly not from Oz?

To watch:

Frankenstein's Army looks like a worthy B-fest.
Stranded looks like a bomb by all RT accounts. May rent it just to see how bad it really is. Not often I see a 0% from that site.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
The Day After Tomorrow

fuckyouilikewatchingshittymoviessometimes/10
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
The Wolverine - 7/10
Dialogue scenes were leaden and monotonous, asian chicks were OK, I thought the snake woman could have had a tighter outfit.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

World War Z was surprisingly good although IMO it would've worked a bit better as a 3-5ep miniseries.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Now it was just from location to location with some suspense and action. Also I wonder how on purpose it was written that it was the Palestinians fault that Israel got fucked up... I give it a 7/10. If you haven't seen it yet but plan to see it, ffs avoid 3D. We had to go to a 3D show due to bad schedules and it was a helluva blur.

Django Unchained. FINALLY I had time to sit down on the couch and watch it. Gory as fuck and good as hell, but not the best Tarantino.  8/10.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

I saw Jeremy Scahill's documentary "Dirty Wars" last night. Very interesting but I'm always very wary of documentaries that place emphasis on emotion.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
Adaptation: ITWASLIKELOOKINGINTOAGODDAMMIRRORFUCKMYLIFE/10
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

Dilbert_X wrote:

Adaptation: ITWASLIKELOOKINGINTOAGODDAMMIRRORFUCKMYLIFE/10
I have that on my media server ready to watch soon.
Along with 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'.
Gotta get 'Human Nature' and 'Being John Malkovich' too for a nice, weird Charlie Kaufman session.

Last edited by globefish23 (2013-08-02 07:50:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard