DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America
Also, many places that have that clause don't drug test upon entry or randomly. It's just something they want to be able to do if you show up all twitchy with bloodshot eyes.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

I like our system here.  You pay something like $60 to apply to 3 universities, then each additional university application after that is an extra $20.  Everything is automated after that, your transcripts get sent, it shows you acceptances and scholarship offers, you accept an offer from there and they all have the same dates for expiration so you dont get screwed over waiting for an acceptance you want.  It's incredibly handy having to just fill out one form and have everything you need in one place.

That said, some universities require an additional essay, cover letter or something but they're still within the system.  And if you want to apply out of province or country it obviously doesn't apply.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Take it to the college thread
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/capital/bespoke/shouldiquit/assets/images/BB_shouldiquit.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria

Jaekus wrote:

I used to have a job like that, except I was the night auditor and the only person on site, so essentially I was the night manager
https://i.imgur.com/y2bBXG8.jpg
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

globefish23 wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I used to have a job like that, except I was the night auditor and the only person on site, so essentially I was the night manager
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

red bull rep to u of t

get paid tons of money to run events and give out free energy drinks to students. pretty sweet gig
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
congrats man. don't drink too much though, that shit is poison.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

wasnt planning on it. i dont even like the taste of the regular kind. sugar free and lime are okay though
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

Winston_Churchill wrote:

red bull rep to u of t

get paid tons of money to run events and give out free energy drinks to students. pretty sweet gig
Sounds like the beginning of Role Models
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
Is calling out sick usually called an unplanned absence?  And is it usually punishable?

I just did it and my manager notified me I'm at 3 unplanned absences, and if I reach 7, it involves "corrective action".  I didn't realize you're not supposed to call out sick, wtf
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4524|at your six
Calling in sick is for pussies.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

_j5689_ wrote:

Is calling out sick usually called an unplanned absence?  And is it usually punishable?

I just did it and my manager notified me I'm at 3 unplanned absences, and if I reach 7, it involves "corrective action".  I didn't realize you're not supposed to call out sick, wtf
Most jobs allow a certain number of sick days per year
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3959|SL,UT

Jay wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Calling in sick is unplanned. my current employer offers me 3 work weeks absence, and it's all called "Paid Time Off". i keep my own time, and am expected to be present for at least 7 of the hours between 8 - 5.

A2TG2 wrote:

Calling in sick is code for 'Personal Appreciation Day', and usually scheduled with a loved one in advance, and communicated to management with a dry cough about half an hour before you*re expected to be present.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Calling in sick is what I did when I had something absolutely contagious. Haven't ever used it for "time off." That shit was for school days.
Steve-0
+214|3959|SL,UT

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Calling in sick is what I did when I had something absolutely contagious. Haven't ever used it for "time off." That shit was for school days.
are you self-employed?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Yep. Family business, construction contracting, co-owner + a myriad of job descriptions. Not something I particularly care to do forever, but at least it can be interesting.

e: one of my previous jobs was at a computer repair shop working for a relic from 70's electronics. fixed and cleaned everything given to me, and quit when he started getting paranoid and blaming people for stealing things that were simply lost under his piles of junk. smart guy but not a good boss. /c.s.b.
Steve-0
+214|3959|SL,UT

if family doesn't know you*re sick, noone does.

calling in sick to a family owned business is like shooting fish in a bucket.

calling in sick to a small company that provides benefits involves trust, that you are not abusing the system, and that your shit was handled before you made the call.

calling in sick to a big chain involves numbers. do you have the time? do you have the right phone number? do you have the cajones to needlessly jepordize your job to someone who's currently unemployed?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Well I've obviously never had to call in sick to the family business. Since a lot of the jobs early on were solo, I went anyway. Summer cold turned my throat into ground beef that year for like three months of outdoor night work, but at least it wasn't the flu. I've got plenty more luxury to take time off now that we've enough employees to fill in the gaps.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I wouldn't mind going into veterinary science later on. Just setting aside funds for it or whatever tickles my fancy when I decide to go back to college.

e: reading good things about Cornell University in NY state, but damn the non-resident rates.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Steve-0 wrote:

Jay wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Calling in sick is unplanned. my current employer offers me 3 work weeks absence, and it's all called "Paid Time Off". i keep my own time, and am expected to be present for at least 7 of the hours between 8 - 5.

A2TG2 wrote:

Calling in sick is code for 'Personal Appreciation Day', and usually scheduled with a loved one in advance, and communicated to management with a dry cough about half an hour before you*re expected to be present.
I get five sick days, and ten vacation days a year, plus one personal day.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I wouldn't mind going into veterinary science later on. Just setting aside funds for it or whatever tickles my fancy when I decide to go back to college.

e: reading good things about Cornell University in NY state, but damn the non-resident rates.
Tough field, there's only like 13 vet schools in the country
-Frederick Bastiat
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6475|Foothills of S. Carolina

Jay wrote:

Steve-0 wrote:

Jay wrote:

A2TG2 wrote:

I get five sick days, and ten vacation days a year, plus one personal day.
I have 5 sick days, 15 vacation days, and 12 personal days (out of which come the company holidays). Next September I hit 15 years and 20 vacation days.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Tough field, there's only like 13 vet schools in the country
The reason for it is it's been somewhat of a lifelong interest and a challenge completely out of my field of expertise. It should keep me occupied for possible midlife crisis.

I'll have to find out how long I have to live in New York to be considered a resident. One of the sites I've been reading up on them on is here, which puts Cornell at #1 and WSU at #15. The latter would be easier for me since I already live in Washingotn, but I'd still have to move across state. Regardless, I'm going to keep socking away money for 10 to 15 years before I consider attending. I'd like to be able to just focus on that and not have to deal with a side job at the same time.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard