AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

The last time you posted a pic we all had a good laugh.

Even shifty!
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4165|Oklahoma

Jaekus wrote:

Video...

0/10 would not bang.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
hahahahaha massive amazonian woman in 80's neon doing squats to heavy metal

LOL
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

Extra Medium wrote:

0/10 would not bang.
"I don't always post

But when I do, I quote others from over four months ago"
baggs
+732|6174
Yep.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29137/IMG-20130522-00149.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
^ Moved

You can delete the post now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
yoozeek
Banned
+1|4465
whenever i do calisthenics, particularly pulls-ups and push-ups, i feel like my left-side just isnt' 'pulling its weight'. what gives? even if i mix up the push/pull-ups with different positioning and symmetries, i always just feel like my left side from the arm thru the chest is weaker. even if i focus extra-hard on making sure im balanced and symmetric when going down/up, i still don't feel the 'burn' in my left side.

did i suffer a stroke?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Is it able to keep up when doing things like dumbell curls? What with my left-handedness, I've noticed my dominant side appears to be stronger in nearly every exercise.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
are you watching your form in the mirror? Are your shoulders parallel with the floor and body perpendicular? Do you go straight up and down or do you move slightly up and right?
baggs
+732|6174

yoozeek wrote:

whenever i do calisthenics, particularly pulls-ups and push-ups, i feel like my left-side just isnt' 'pulling its weight'. what gives? even if i mix up the push/pull-ups with different positioning and symmetries, i always just feel like my left side from the arm thru the chest is weaker. even if i focus extra-hard on making sure im balanced and symmetric when going down/up, i still don't feel the 'burn' in my left side.

did i suffer a stroke?
Just do exercises that isolate each side, namely dumbell chest press, dumbell shoulder press, dumbell curls (standing or sitting, or preacher). Still do your pushups, try different hand postions, diamonds. Do push ups and hold one leg off the floor, try and shock all your little muscle groups. Don't neglect your pull ups, do underhand grip, do over handgrip, go wide, go narrow.

Most people find an imbalance from repeated use of weight machines, barbells and smith machine use.

Also, squat, deadlift and standing overhead press is a pretty much something you should absolutely be doing.

All of the above can be used in most scenarios, if you just want to stay in shape and tone, or if you want to build muscle mass, bread and butter exercises. I'm sure I have missed a few too.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

are you watching your form in the mirror? Are your shoulders parallel with the floor and body perpendicular? Do you go straight up and down or do you move slightly up and right?
Do you rub the lotion on its skin? Do you put it back in the basket?
Adams_BJ
?????
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Or do you get the hose again?
Adams_BJ
I puts the lotion in the basket

baggs wrote:

Yep.

mhmmm. 
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
Last week, an Eastern European giant approached me after my deadlifts, telling me my stance was too wide and that I would be able to pull more weight if i narrowed it. I had been stuck at 130kg DL for some time, and every time I did it, I would struggle and sometimes even fail.
Today I tried it with a narrower stance. My 5/3/1 only had to go to 130kg 1x, but it felt doable to do 140. I decided to give it a go, considering that it is seomwhat of a milestone. Lo and behold, I lifted the almighty 3 plates.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Nice one. 3 plates is my current 1RM. I've found DLs a real struggle at 3x8 112.5kg now so I think I might reduce the reps for the sets for the purpose of increasing weight.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

Nice one. 3 plates is my current 1RM. I've found DLs a real struggle at 3x8 112.5kg now so I think I might reduce the reps for the sets for the purpose of increasing weight.
You should give 5/3/1 a go. I was stuck at a 1RM of 120, and thanks to that I managed to go up 20kg quite easily. It might be preference thing, but the rate at which you add weight is perfect for me.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Yeah I'll definitely look into it. I find 3x8 now absolutely exhausts me and DLs are what I begin every other workout with.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah I'll definitely look into it. I find 3x8 now absolutely exhausts me and DLs are what I begin every other workout with.
I always start DLs too, the exhaustion they cause is well worth considering I wouldn't be doing as good at them as I am now if I'd do them later on. I suppose 3x8 has its benefits when it comes to building size, but if you want to get your 1RM up, which, let's face it, is what you most likely want on DL, considering that there are plenty of other exercises more suited for building mass, you should try 5/3/1. Just watch your 1RM shoot up in a cycle or two.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Yeah they're good points. I think I will start on 5/3/1 for DLs and see how that works for me. Squats I'll stick with 3x8
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...
either do the program or don't, it doesn't really work if you just pick and choose whatever you like about whichever program. Sometimes when volume training no longer works it's best to cut down and vice versa. It's totally possible that if you're stuck on a lift which you're doing 2-3 times a week on a full body workout routine you'll improve once you dedicate a day to that lift as your main excersise and cut down to once a week.

That said, on 5/3/1, I hit 200kg dead (raw, no belt, no straps & double overhanded) in record time. Gonna do a 2 month reset now and focus on explosiveness before continuing to 230 more slowly.

as for top of the page, ghay.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-06-25 16:00:55)

inane little opines
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6722|Toronto, ON

yoozeek wrote:

did i suffer a stroke?
I used to do tons of calisthenics/gymnastics as well as participate in my high school team so I can answer this.

Most people have an imbalance because their dominant limbs (usually the right hand and right leg) are more active.  Over time, this imbalance will correct itself if you do alot of bodyweight (calisthenics) exercises.

Your imbalance will be VERY HARD to correct if you focus solely on weights.  This is because your mind subconsciously self-corrects the weaker limb by "cheating" with poorer form.  Sure you can add more weights on top of the weaker limb but you can't accurately measure/gauge how much is required to "balance" it.  Your bodyweight and gravity is the perfect way to balance because it is consistent weight.

Just keep upping your push-up count by 5-10 reps and your pullup count by 1-2 reps each week (you'll hit a plateau eventually).  If you do this every other day (or every day), you'll notice strength balancing improving probably by 1-2 months latest.  At least for my body that's how it is.

Another great exercise to substitute for pull-ups is gymnastic rings.  A pull up on the rings is more "natural" than a bar and much more difficult because of the amount of core required to stabilize yourself from swinging.  Basically, the more "natural" it is, the more your body will balance over time.

You won't get huge and ripped doing calisthenics, but you'll be more toned/lean/cut.  You'll possibly even be more athletic than heavy weight trainers because you'll no-doubt have superior core and stabilizer muscles built up (a necessity for sports requiring large degrees of movement).  You just won't be able to lift as much as they do though.  Though if you're a full time gymnast that trains on rings and pommel horse (I did rings), you can still outlift most heavy weight trainers:

My personal bests were (noting that I never did weight training and weighed 150 lbs):
- 15 reps of 55 lb dumbbell curls
- 15 reps of 175 lb smith press
- 8 reps of 175 lb free bench press
- 10 reps of wide grip pull ups with 45 lb plate attached to my belt
- 5 reps of 40 lb dumbbell shoulder fly (this amazes alot of people in the gym since they peak normally at 20 lbs, lots of practice on rings and doing iron crosses makes this a cakewalk, as a comparison, Olympic gymnasts that weight 120 lbs do 60 lb shoulder flys with ease)
- I never did dead lifts or weighted squats (I normally do bodyweight pistol squats).  I most likely suck at these anyway because I have a habit of not training my weak ass legs.
Alpha as fuck.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I did 400 situps straight off once, not the stupid faggot ones where someone holds your feet either, proper situps.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam

Nyte wrote:

I most likely suck at these anyway because I have a habit of not training my weak ass legs.
This guy

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard