Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5972|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Orwellian = surveillance state

The Trial = A man who is constantly under suspicion and harassment by unaccountable and authorities for no discernible reason

Yep, I'd say that was pretty relevant to the argument I was making.  I am not a violent person uzique but you are by far the most punchable person on bf2s.  You could have just been a man and explained the reasoning behind your insult, but no, I guess I don't deserve that kind of basic intellectual treatment.  For the record I've barely ever mentioned Orwell or Kafka here before this thread.  Fuck off you prick.
A non-violent person would just ignore uniques post
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
he can't ignore it because i'm calling out his ostentation and it makes him angry. two literary references in two consecutive posts. the guy is going for term-paper gold.
BVC
+325|6703
It depends on the job.

There is certain stuff you just shouldn't be allowed to ask (mostly stuff like religion, politics, sexuality etc).  Being forced to provide social media passwords is functionally equivalent to this, and more.  It is unreasonably intrusive, and there are also privacy issues (friends list/details).

I don't buy "industrial espionage" as a reason.  Anyone who is intent on infiltrating a company to steal it's secrets will already have half a dozen innocent-looking sock puppets ready to go.  I'd be VERY suspicious of any company which asks for your social media login details.  You could always have a fake account for the purpose, but thats not really dealing with the core issue.

Drug testing & criminal history checks?  If I'm hiring cashiers or bank tellers I don't want someone with a history of petty theft/dishonesty offences.  And if I'm hiring dozer/forklift drivers I don't want some who turns up to work baked.

Naysayers cry all you want, being stoned on heavy machinery WILL turn you into a sloppy operator, and WILL put your colleagues at risk.  I've seen plenty of people fuck up, and I've even done a couple of minors myself on a forklight after a night of hot kniving.

Last edited by BVC (2013-06-04 18:00:22)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
i still dont think there should be a drug test. that's like saying oh since you drink alcohol you might come to work drunk and destroy shit. just because someone smokes weed every now and then with their mates doesn't make them high 24/7.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
i do think it's invasive. even though it's illegal behaviour, i don't necessarily think that means the employer 'needs to know'. people break loads of laws all the time without having to inform their employer. people don't wear a little ankle bracelet that transmits vehicle speeds to their employer on their morning commute. you shouldn't have to tell your employer what you choose to put in your body in your spare time. especially considering alcohol is legal and is abused far more often - and to far worse personal effect.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6697|Tampa Bay Florida

BVC wrote:

Drug testing & criminal history checks?  If I'm hiring cashiers or bank tellers I don't want someone with a history of petty theft/dishonesty offences.  And if I'm hiring dozer/forklift drivers I don't want some who turns up to work baked.

Naysayers cry all you want, being stoned on heavy machinery WILL turn you into a sloppy operator, and WILL put your colleagues at risk.  I've seen plenty of people fuck up, and I've even done a couple of minors myself on a forklight after a night of hot kniving.
Thats kind of obvious though isn't it?  We're not arguing about criminal history/drug checks.  No one here is saying that.  Employers snooping around on your facebook has nothing to do with background checks.  They are two completely different things.  Unless, of course, you're referring to dumbasses who talk about weed and alcohol on facebook and then go drive forklifts.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5186|Sydney
Even if people talk about whatever they talk about, so what? If it's that much of a concern then test your employees in jobs where mechanical operations are required for substances as required. Facebook is personal space and it's a slippery slope to having to surrender your phone's text messages, your personal emails and record all your telephone calls. May as well equip people with a mic implanted under the skin along with GPS just to make sure they aren't doing anything wrong. Really, it's a complete invasion of privacy.

If facebook is that much of a concern then just make it a rule that all employees whilst under employ must be a friend of the manager or some public page where public posts can be visible to the company. That's good enough if there are concerns for posts and statuses may be considered to be potentially sensitive in nature. In this there needs to be a clear outline in the employment contract that certain elements of the company cannot be discussed or made public, but employee rights need to be respected and if a pic they're tagged in where they're boozed on the weekend shows up that shouldn't be an issue if it does not affect their job when at work.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-06-05 07:08:10)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6689|Disaster Free Zone

Spearhead wrote:

BVC wrote:

Thats kind of obvious though isn't it?  We're not arguing about criminal history/drug checks.  No one here is saying that.  Employers snooping around on your facebook has nothing to do with background checks.  They are two completely different things.  Unless, of course, you're referring to dumbasses who talk about weed and alcohol on facebook and then go drive forklifts.
If I went to a job interview and they asked for a drug test I'd tell them to get fucked and walk out, and I don't even take drugs.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5186|Sydney
In my previous job it was a legal requirement that I took a national police check. They paid for it so I didn't mind, seeing as I've never been arrested for anything, let alone convicted. Unless you count a DUI where I blew 0.015 when I was meant to be 0.00 (P plates)

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-06-05 07:10:55)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262

Jaekus wrote:

In my previous job it was a legal requirement that I took a national police check. They paid for it so I didn't mind, seeing as I've never been arrested for anything, let alone convicted.
yes but is it fair for people who do have previous (spent) convictions? i thought the idea of justice was that you served the punishment given to you by the court authority/state, and then you had 'balanced the books'. i think there should only be a very narrow band of crimes that should be listed as 'public interest', e.g. violence, severe mental illness/debility, and things like paedophilia or sexual offences. these are obviously crimes of a nature that an employer should know about, for their own personal safety, and to ensure that any aspect of their business that deals with the public isn't put at undue risk.

however when employers request a back-ground check and filter out people's resumés because they served time for a crime 20 years ago, or because they have a history of alcoholism that they're trying to put behind them, etc. then this ends up being another level of prying into individuals' personal life that is unjust, imo. people should be judged primarily on their competency/qualification to do the job. what happens nowadays, particularly in industries that are competitive, is that people use background checks or personal references as another filter-method of sorting out 'undesirable' candidates. that doesn't help anyone. for an ex-felon or someone with a stupid minor conviction (e.g. shoplifting, vandalism, public disorder offences, etc.) this is basically just the justice system coming around to bite them in the ass, even after they've served the punishment already. it is fundamentally unjust.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4203|Oklahoma
Background checks, drug screens, criminal history, job history, driving records and credit checks.

Thats all, no more.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262

Extra Medium wrote:

Background checks, drug screens, criminal history, job history, driving records and credit checks.

Thats all, no more.
what more could an employer even ask for? your wife's cup size?
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4203|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

Thats all, no more.
Facebook/MySpece/Twitter usernames, DNA samples, firearm registrations, hair sample.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
i would be very weirded out if an employer wanted a hair sample. for a start, chromosomatic analysis is pretty expensive, so they'd probably sooner ask you for your urine.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4203|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i would be very weirded out if an employer wanted a hair sample. for a start, chromosomatic analysis is pretty expensive, so they'd probably sooner ask you for your urine.
I had a hair sample taken when I worked for Ross Perot.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
yeah but i mean if you're going to hire someone to have anal and oral congress with, you need the AIDS test done.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Extra Medium wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

Thats all, no more.
Facebook/MySpece/Twitter usernames, DNA samples, firearm registrations, hair sample.
You can find out if someone got a parking ticket but not if they own an arsenal. Makes sense
BVC
+325|6703

Spearhead wrote:

Sometimes in this debate people just don't get it, and you just need to state the obvious if you want to even attempt to get your point across.

For example:

DrunkFace wrote:

If I went to a job interview and they asked for a drug test I'd tell them to get fucked and walk out, and I don't even take drugs.
^ A poster who clearly doesn't understand the importance of safety-driven drug tests.  Note that word: safety.  Doesn't mean universal test, that I'm opposed to.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6787|Great Brown North

Macbeth wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

You can find out if someone got a parking ticket but not if they own an arsenal. Makes sense
do parking tickets come up on a criminal background check?

also you're stupid
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
parking offences would come up on a background check here, that's the thing.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5044|Massachusetts, USA
If it's a job involving a lot of driving, they will look for parking tickets. Otherwise, they look for major offenses. Assault, robbery, theft, DUIs. things like that.

I don't think employers should be allowed to breach your privacy by checking your facebook/myspace. Unless the person has a criminal history or a history of drug and alcohol abuse.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

krazed wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

do parking tickets come up on a criminal background check?

also you're stupid
I know you like your guns and pray for the day you can shoot someone legally but if someones drug use makes them a liability in a high stress environment or speaks to their character then so should someone's stockpiling of weapons.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6697|Tampa Bay Florida
Lets clarify.  Blue collar manual labor jobs = someones ass is on the line.  If you fuck up you can kill someone.  If youve got a DUI or fail a drug test and youre operating heavy machinery then thats not really an invasion of privacy.  No, I'm talking about things like forcing employees to give the corporation their social media passwords.  Keeping tabs on them over the weekend and such.  Thats just plain creepy.  And the problem is, I don't see how you can prevent it.  Don't comply?  Youre fired!  Then all the other multinationals follow suit in order to stay competitive.  Then its just become a normal state of affairs.  Its not like anyones going to strike over that, or like a law is going to change anything, when it is so widespread.  Also the company you work for might figure out a way to sell your personal data to an advertising firm.  Who's going to find out?  Its all in the shadows. 

Speaking of strikes, what happens to unions/class action lawsuits against the company?  You all know full well that they will find reasons to fire people , even if its illegal.  Social media just gives them that many more excuses.  "Uhh, her profile pic looked shady, making us look bad"

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-06-06 00:42:29)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

In my previous job it was a legal requirement that I took a national police check. They paid for it so I didn't mind, seeing as I've never been arrested for anything, let alone convicted.
yes but is it fair for people who do have previous (spent) convictions? i thought the idea of justice was that you served the punishment given to you by the court authority/state, and then you had 'balanced the books'. i think there should only be a very narrow band of crimes that should be listed as 'public interest', e.g. violence, severe mental illness/debility, and things like paedophilia or sexual offences. these are obviously crimes of a nature that an employer should know about, for their own personal safety, and to ensure that any aspect of their business that deals with the public isn't put at undue risk.

however when employers request a back-ground check and filter out people's resumés because they served time for a crime 20 years ago, or because they have a history of alcoholism that they're trying to put behind them, etc. then this ends up being another level of prying into individuals' personal life that is unjust, imo. people should be judged primarily on their competency/qualification to do the job. what happens nowadays, particularly in industries that are competitive, is that people use background checks or personal references as another filter-method of sorting out 'undesirable' candidates. that doesn't help anyone. for an ex-felon or someone with a stupid minor conviction (e.g. shoplifting, vandalism, public disorder offences, etc.) this is basically just the justice system coming around to bite them in the ass, even after they've served the punishment already. it is fundamentally unjust.
These days, with people rarely serving more than 1/3rd of their sentence, and most sentences being pitifully weak already, most people wouldn't really agree that the average crim has done his time and is due a second chance. Often they'll be laughing their bums off and ready to do it again.
That and the odd, minor, conviction is often the tip of the iceberg, and typically only comes after multiple warnings and cautions.

I don't even really agree with the concept of spent convictions. A criminal record is a criminal record, bad luck.
Why should the law-abiding have to meekly hold their tongues while a convicted criminal gets ahead of them?

Prison and a blighted future used to be the disincentives to crime, take away both and that doesn't leave a lot does it?

I'd go further personally, make life less convenient for criminals. For example, people with a history of alcohol, drugs and violence can't generally own firearms, they  shouldn't be allowed to own a vehicle bigger than a scooter, maybe that would remove some of the road-rage from the roads.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-06-06 04:00:56)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Spearhead wrote:

Lets clarify.  Blue collar manual labor jobs = someones ass is on the line.  If you fuck up you can kill someone.  If youve got a DUI or fail a drug test and youre operating heavy machinery then thats not really an invasion of privacy.  No, I'm talking about things like forcing employees to give the corporation their social media passwords.  Keeping tabs on them over the weekend and such.  Thats just plain creepy.  And the problem is, I don't see how you can prevent it.  Don't comply?  Youre fired!  Then all the other multinationals follow suit in order to stay competitive.  Then its just become a normal state of affairs.  Its not like anyones going to strike over that, or like a law is going to change anything, when it is so widespread.  Also the company you work for might figure out a way to sell your personal data to an advertising firm.  Who's going to find out?  Its all in the shadows. 

Speaking of strikes, what happens to unions/class action lawsuits against the company?  You all know full well that they will find reasons to fire people , even if its illegal.  Social media just gives them that many more excuses.  "Uhh, her profile pic looked shady, making us look bad"
If  you want to be properly security vetted IIRC you need to be ready to hand over all your email addresses and online aliases, not passwords though.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard