RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
they had some good animation
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Great Gatsby. I saw it. It was better than expected. You won't like it if you are a traditionalist. If you don't think about the book and judged it as a film rather than an adaptation, you would think it was okay. I prefer it to the Redford version in the 70's.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

I just don't like Baz Luhrmann. Maybe because I had to study one of his films at school and I hated it. Really though his whole thing is over-the top garishness, not really for any statement or effect but just because he can. Part of me appreciates that there's someone like him making films, another part thinks he'd be better putting together stage shows.

On another note he seems to be the embodiment of Australia's frustration that it's film industry pales in comparison to New Zealand's. Little bit of schadenfreude there. Every attempt Baz makes to try and raise the Aussie film industry in the same way Pete Jackson did here in NZ just kind of flops. Australia has more noteworthy actors though with the likes of Hugh Jackman, Sam Worthington, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Nicole Kidman etc. We share Rusty, (when he's doing well he's "Australian Actor Russell Crowe" when he's drunk and hitting people he's "New Zealand born Actor Russell Crowe".) There's not really any truly noteworthy NZ actors. Karl Urban's getting a bit of attention I suppose with Star Trek. Sam Neill's a Kiwi of course, (back to Jurassic Park.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Shocking wrote:

It's pretty typical that you would write off the documentary before even watching it. Judging it by a provocative and showy trailer. A trailer ffs. You absolutely have shit for brains. Thank you for taking the bait and allowing me to prove the point, though.

What you'll find if you actually watch the entire film is that these are 6 very intelligent, articulate individuals who are all too aware of the problems in their state. They spent the last 50 years presiding over every major operation and scandal in the Israeli secret services, noone is more qualified to speak on the subject. I don't think you even gave it any thought why any, let alone all of them at the same time, agreed to be interviewed last year either. Why now?

Maybe you should just watch it.

Another clip for you dil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qiETBUrQAU
So at which point di they give some perspective from the Palestinian side?
I don't see whats smart about only giving the perpetrators side of the argument.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Ty wrote:

I just don't like Baz Luhrmann. Maybe because I had to study one of his films at school and I hated it. Really though his whole thing is over-the top garishness, not really for any statement or effect but just because he can. Part of me appreciates that there's someone like him making films, another part thinks he'd be better putting together stage shows.

On another note he seems to be the embodiment of Australia's frustration that it's film industry pales in comparison to New Zealand's. Little bit of schadenfreude there. Every attempt Baz makes to try and raise the Aussie film industry in the same way Pete Jackson did here in NZ just kind of flops. Australia has more noteworthy actors though with the likes of Hugh Jackman, Sam Worthington, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Nicole Kidman etc. We share Rusty, (when he's doing well he's "Australian Actor Russell Crowe" when he's drunk and hitting people he's "New Zealand born Actor Russell Crowe".) There's not really any truly noteworthy NZ actors. Karl Urban's getting a bit of attention I suppose with Star Trek. Sam Neill's a Kiwi of course, (back to Jurassic Park.)
I quite like Baz Luhrmann.

The Aus film industry produces a whole lot of crap, and Australians don't even get behind the good stuff - Kokoda totally bombed, you'd think they'd go to see that in droves since everyone goes on about it so much.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shocking wrote:

It's pretty typical that you would write off the documentary before even watching it. Judging it by a provocative and showy trailer. A trailer ffs. You absolutely have shit for brains. Thank you for taking the bait and allowing me to prove the point, though.

What you'll find if you actually watch the entire film is that these are 6 very intelligent, articulate individuals who are all too aware of the problems in their state. They spent the last 50 years presiding over every major operation and scandal in the Israeli secret services, noone is more qualified to speak on the subject. I don't think you even gave it any thought why any, let alone all of them at the same time, agreed to be interviewed last year either. Why now?

Maybe you should just watch it.

Another clip for you dil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qiETBUrQAU
I don't see whats smart about only giving the perpetrators side of the argument.
Why would you be interested in balanced perspective when you can watch 100 minutes of talking heads in Hebrew to relentless scary movie music?

Anyway, it's a documentary on the Shin Bet, so the perspective is naturally going to be from the Shin Bet people interviewed on it. Big surprise.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I want to see some fawning interviews with funky backing music with the Al Qaeda leadership.

I'm sure they had to take a lot of tough decisions while defending freedom.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-20 03:21:38)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Anchorman.

It's shit. I can't watch more than half an hour. Not a single scene or line was funny.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma
you be trolling
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
HITNRUNXX
+220|6707|Oklahoma City

AussieReaper wrote:

Anchorman.

It's shit. I can't watch more than half an hour. Not a single scene or line was funny.
Watched it with some co-workers. No one even cracked a smile at it...

This is one of those movies that is better when friends randomly quote it than the actual movie itself.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ty wrote:

I quite like Baz Luhrmann.

The Aus film industry produces a whole lot of crap, and Australians don't even get behind the good stuff - Kokoda totally bombed, you'd think they'd go to see that in droves since everyone goes on about it so much.
Have you seen Kokoda? It's fucking terrible. I have no desire to watch men cry for 3 hours in the bush.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
AR isnt funny so its ok
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

I didn't find Anchorman funny either. Or pretty much anything else Will Ferrell has ever done. I was surprised too, the amount people were going on about the damn movie and quoting "I love lamp" endlessly I thought it was at least going to be passable. It's just grown men acting juvenile - which is all Ferrell ever does. The quotable moments that are worth any reaction at all are few and far between and the story that fills the gaps is just boring. None of the developments make sense even from a comedic standpoint. The characters are completely uninteresting too. I get it, Burgundy is a pompous man-child, his only other gimmick of always reading what the teleprompter displays is only set up so there can be a second act 'low point' and isn't referenced or used at any other point. Brick was probably the funniest and I'm pretty sure they didn't actually write a script for Steve Carrell any more detailed than "Brick says/does something irrelevant, other characters react." I can't even remember anything interesting about any of the other characters.

I don't think I connect with this sort of humour. Probably why I've never seen anything on Saturday Night Live that has made me chuckle.
[Blinking eyes thing]
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

But did you like Elf.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

Haven't seen it. Heard it was decent too but I don't trust that assessment of Will Ferrell movies any more.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Anchorman is his only good movie. Everything else is shit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Looked at his top ten on imdb. I thought Megamind was decent (for what it was). Haven't seen Stranger than Fiction, though.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6471|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Stranger than fiction was surprisingly good. Ferrell should do more that kinda roles instead of screaming throughout movies and acting juvenile.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Stranger than fiction was surprisingly good. Ferrell should do more that kinda roles instead of screaming throughout movies and acting juvenile.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DrunkFace wrote:

Have you seen Kokoda? It's fucking terrible. I have no desire to watch men cry for 3 hours in the bush.
I thought it was OK, it was hardly 3 hours of crying, for a start it was only 92 minutes - have you seen Kokoda?

Still, as an Aussie you can't be bothered to sit through an hour and a half of an Australian-made film about the supposed most pivotal event in Australian history because you 'don't want to see men cry'?

I'm not sure why anyone would even consider a Will Ferrell film could be better than a 0/10, same for Adam Sandler.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-21 02:56:53)

jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
I liked stranger than fiction.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

watch
the
film
you
dunce
inane little opines
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
great gatsby was really shit. and i don't care about 'faithful' novel adaptations or w/e. i could take his zany romeo & juliet remaking - it captured the histrionics and classical pageantry of shakespeare perfectly well, even with his "WTF" idiosyncrasies layered over the top (incidentally you get a pretty good idea what a director thinks of himself when he drastically alters shakespeare and fitzgerald...) but the WHOLE POINT of the great gatsby was the nuance and subtle psychodrama going on beneath his surface: gatsby gently ironizes the 'american dream' and tells a beautiful/damned story of aspiration and success. the latest movie had none of that. it was a crass celebration of partying and luhrmann's art department. it drained all of the complexity and nuance out of the book's tale, the ambiguities hidden in gatsby's (and fitzgerald's) lives and their surface appearances of success and fame... and just replaced it with an hour and a half of the most vacuous, dumb, meaningless spectacle imaginable. again: he made lots of stylistic changes with romeo & juliet, it was just as bombastic and over-the-top... but it retained the essence of the original. this remake is just stupid. you don't leave with the core 'message' or feel the 'stimmung' of the story at all. it's bawdy and shallow.

the choice of sound-track is a massive disaster and vanity project/ego-trip by jay-z that is so egregious it deserves a thread all unto itself, tbh. every single song on it is an absolute stinker, so ill-conceived, poorly advised, and terribly executed.

also lol'ing at the conversation about aussie/nz cinema above. the world doesn't give a fuck about aussie/nz cinema. 'film' as an institution still has its heart in europe.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

Dilbert_X wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I thought it was OK, it was hardly 3 hours of crying, for a start it was only 92 minutes - have you seen Kokoda?

Still, as an Aussie you can't be bothered to sit through an hour and a half of an Australian-made film about the supposed most pivotal event in Australian history because you 'don't want to see men cry'?

I'm not sure why anyone would even consider a Will Ferrell film could be better than a 0/10, same for Adam Sandler.
Nope, pretty sure I turned it off after about 40mins. And no, I'm not going to watch a poorly acted, poorly written, poorly produced completely fictional story about a few completely fictional characters for some nationalistic bullshit reason. If I wanted to learn about Kokoda, I'd watch a documentary or read a book, which would be both more interesting and far more informative.

@ Uzique, Why would anyone give a fuck about where movies are made? Only thing that matters is if they're good. As for 'film' having it's heart in Europe, is just pure garbage.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
you can call film "garbage" all you want, we have a great film industry (many are state-subsidized and experimental, all the better for it), whilst you have stinkers like luhrmann's australia. enjoy, cretins. ha ha ha.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard