Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
carpetbagger  
car·pet·bag·ger  [kahr-pit-bag-er] 
noun
U.S. History . a Northerner who went to the South after the Civil War and became active in Republican politics, especially so as to profiteer from the unsettled social and political conditions of the area during Reconstruction.
any opportunistic or exploitive outsider: Our bus company has served this town for years, but now the new one run by carpetbaggers from the city is stealing our business.
Origin:
1865–70,  Americanism; carpetbag + -er1 ; so called because they came South carrying their belongings in carpetbags
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

We all know what carpetbagger means.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Probably not, It's an American idiom.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
I'm Weighing Whether Or Not I Want To Go Through The Hell Of Appealing To You Idiotic, Uninformed Oafs

By Hillary Clinton

As President Obama serves out his second term in office and Washington looks forward to the 2016 presidential election, many friends and colleagues have been asking me what my plans for the future are. It
Tu Stultus Es
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
But like I said. Carpetbagging is directly in line with your views jay. So that shouldnt be why you don't like her, in fact you should be a fan.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Whiteroom- wrote:

But like I said. Carpetbagging is directly in line with your views jay. So that shouldnt be why you don't like her, in fact you should be a fan.
You don't know anything about me.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

lol except all of the political scientists and philosophers he touts would celebrate carpetbagging as the ultimate individual-seizing-opportunity type empowerment schtick.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-09 09:12:57)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada

Jay wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Execpt for everything you have said about yourself here. Which would put her carpetbagging in line with your views. Or did you get burned by her somehow? Is it only an ok way to commence business as long as jay doesn't get burned?

Last edited by -Whiteroom- (2013-04-09 09:23:10)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Jay wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Execpt for everything you have said about yourself here. Which would put her carpetbagging in line with your views. Or did you get burned by her somehow? Is it only an ok way to commence business as long as jay doesn't get burned?
You've misinterpreted everything I've ever written. It's ok though, you're not all that bright so it's understandable.

But please, tell me how I've ever acted in an exploitative manner, putting myself above others for personal gain.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
Inb4 Pell grant, military welfare
inane little opines
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
Same old story.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'm waiting for the story. What have I done that is exploitative? Nothing. Only a moron like uzique would try to twist military service into something exploitative and negative.

If you actually understood anything at all about me, or libertarianism since that seems to be my perceived persona on this forum, you'd understand that at it's heart it abides by the 'do no harm' mantra. i.e. freedom to do as you please as long as you aren't fucking over other people whether for personal gain or otherwise. It's why I've gone out of my way in the past to shit on Macbeth for writing posts only a psychopath would love. Just because I don't want a big government interfering in peoples personal lives doesn't mean that I want people to get hurt, or fucked over. The fact that so many people associate the government with some idea of a white knight coming to save the day and right all the wrongs in the world is ludicrous to me, and yet many people on this forum act as if I were trying to rape small children when I suggest that people would be better off making their own decisions in this world. So many of you have been fed some silly bullshit about wealth redistribution saving poor people, or the people in government actually giving a fuck about you in any positive way that it honestly makes me sad, and it's why I post.

I don't live my life to fuck over other people. I hold doors for people, I smile, I go out of my way to help my friends if they have a need. I would love nothing more than for all of my friends and family to succeed in this life and achieve all of their dreams. Hell, I've given people the last dollar out of my pocket because they needed it.

So when you read a post written by me bitching about money going to the poor, it has more to do with the fact that these programs do not work, and are exploitative more than anything else, than about me being a heartless scrooge who wants to sit on a pile of money while sneering at the proles. I've been accused of being obsessed with money, I'm not, I just understand it far better than most. I understand things like raising the minimum wage will increase unemployment and ultimately make more people poor than would be otherwise. I think with my head, not with my heart.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
the biggest problem this forum has is that people cant separate themselves from the debate.  everything is backed up by anectdotes or boasful statements. something that is inserted in the argument only to satisfy the ego of the poster.  i suppose this forum is no different than huffington post or tmz or fox or whatever.  fwp.
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Where have I written psychopathic post?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

eleven bravo wrote:

the biggest problem this forum has is that people cant separate themselves from the debate.  everything is backed up by anectdotes or boasful statements. something that is inserted in the argument only to satisfy the ego of the poster.  i suppose this forum is no different than huffington post or tmz or fox or whatever.  fwp.
it's because most of the 'debaters' here have been trotting the same (transparent) arguments for about 3 years. they've cited the full extent of their (short) reading lists. they've argued until they're blue in the face. they're dropped in countless personal anecdotes and testimonies. so what you end up having is a full picture of the debater, and a very tired and boring argument. inevitably you end up scratching your head when the personal details of the poster so directly contradict the espoused 'views'.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Where have I written psychopathic post?
You've written a lot of psychotic crap over the years. I don't have the time or inclination to go digging right now, but you did earn the rep.
-Frederick Bastiat
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
No Jay, I'm not going down that road, you and uzi do it all the time, I don't have the time to sift through all of your posts to point out comments, nor the care to get into a 4 page day long argument about it, with the end result being that we agree to disagree on stem vs humanities... You have come across as the fuck the weak, get your own libertarian throughout the years. No need to cite it.

ie. the same response you just gave mac.

Last edited by -Whiteroom- (2013-04-09 10:50:41)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Whiteroom- wrote:

No Jay, I'm not going down that road, you and uzi do it all the time, I don't have the time to sift through all of your posts to point out comments, nor the care to get into a 4 page day long argument about it, with the end result being that we agree to disagree on stem vs humanities... You have come across as the fuck the weak, get your own libertarian throughout the years. No need to cite it.

The fact is, you just self identify as a liberal without actually understanding anything and assume the worst about anyone that differs from what you've been told is right. You exemplify the ignorance of the average, ignorant voter.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

The fact is, you just self identify as a liberal without actually understanding anything and assume the worst about anyone that differs from what you've been told is right. You exemplify the ignorance of the average, ignorant voter.
i.e. jay knows best, he's read rand and a few hayek quotations.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
Actually, I only would identify myself as a liberal when talking with an american, since you can only be a liberal or conservative there. simplifies it on the forums. Pretty much any canadian would seem liberal to you, so its easier. I don't really hold myself to the american standard of black and white. like most sane people, I'm liberal on some views, conservative on others.

One thing I am not though, is a hypocrite. It's not being an idiot that confuses me about you, its your contradictory statements. Was just seeing where you would go with it, and of course it was the dumb liberal route.

Last edited by -Whiteroom- (2013-04-09 11:03:45)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Actually, I only would identify myself as a liberal when talking with an american, since you can only be a liberal or conservative there. simplifies it on the forums. Pretty much any canadian would seem liberal to you, so its easier. I don't really hold myself to the american standard of black and white. like most sane people, I'm liberal on some views, conservative on others.

One thing I am not though, is a hypocrite. It's not being an idiot that confuses me about you, its your contradictory statements. Was just seeing where you would go with it, and of course it was the dumb liberal route.
I don't feel like having this same argument again, so let's just come to an agreement, ok? You stop sniping at me, and I'll go back to not thinking about you.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
magnanimous
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada

Jay wrote:

I don't feel like having this same argument again,

Jay wrote:

But please, tell me how I've ever acted in an exploitative manner, putting myself above others for personal gain.
There is a contradiction again...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I'm pretty sure I'll be voting mostly Democrat again in the next elections until I see more Republicans who refuse to tow the official party line bigotry, general stupidity and whatever FOX News has to say.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
you voted bush.  twice.

gtfo.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard