Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6702|Cambridge, England
Thought there would be something in here about the mars rover findings of conditions suitable for life.

But no just a load of bitching about whether a social science is a science or not.

gg.

Edited to contribute.

https://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2013/03/Curiosity-Data-Chart.jpg

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2013-03-12 14:24:41)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Did you physicists really have to refer to the thing as the God particle? You unleashed a generation worth of stupid with that.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

goddamn particle...
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

Its not referred to as the God particle by physicists.  Lederman (who first called it that) wanted to call it the Goddamn particle but wasnt allowed to by his publisher when he released his book in the 90s.  Now that we've actually discovered it the mass media has stupidly continued to call it that even though every physicist hates the term.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
https://m.ak.fbcdn.net/sphotos-h.ak/hphotos-ak-snc7/599737_452628518144972_676074542_n.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Quote would have a lot more power if I knew who Brian Cox was.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He's an effeminate science hipster who gets himself on TV a lot.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
He has shows on Science Channel in the US. Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
he used to be in a band
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
The question is which rock band member to astrophysicist is better: Brian May or Brian Cox?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Brian May = Astrophysicist -> Rock band
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

He's an effeminate science hipster who gets himself on TV a lot.
lol. dilbert's term for anyone that falls outside of the normal scientific stereotype of 'socially retarded and bases his whole life around labcoats and textbooks'. i'm not a fan of cox myself, either, but my problems are less to do with him as a person and more to do with the sort of programming he 'represents' - the sort of stupid, permanently-awed, lets-play-epic-post-rock-music-and-talk-sciiiiiiience-oh-wow television that is less factual and more just audio-visual masturbation.

curious remarks though. a scientist with a styled haircut who used to play in a pop band, thus having had some semblance of a life/success away from the lab/parent's basement... joins the crowd of "hipsters". lol. i'm sure he's gutted dilbert doesn't approve.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-24 06:31:54)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

Brian May = Astrophysicist -> Rock band
actually he didn't get his PhD until after freddy mercury was long gone, and i'm not sure you can call a master's graduate or an ABD candidate an 'astrophysicist' any more than you can call me a 'literary theorist' right now.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

labcoats
I really despise this silly stereotype.
You really only need a lab coat if there's a chance that you spill your clothes with something.
And even then, they're mostly uncomfortable and you want to avoid them.
(Unless some potential customers or work inspectors are in.)

Astrophysicists definitely don't need one, and I guess you barely see any labcoats at CERN at all.

Also, I prefer Greg Graffin (paleontologist/Bad Religion) and Milo Aukerman (biochemist/Descendants).

Last edited by globefish23 (2013-03-25 01:18:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

lol. dilbert's term for anyone that falls outside of the normal scientific stereotype of 'socially retarded and bases his whole life around labcoats and textbooks'. i'm not a fan of cox myself, either, but my problems are less to do with him as a person and more to do with the sort of programming he 'represents' - the sort of stupid, permanently-awed, lets-play-epic-post-rock-music-and-talk-sciiiiiiience-oh-wow television that is less factual and more just audio-visual masturbation.

curious remarks though. a scientist with a styled haircut who used to play in a pop band, thus having had some semblance of a life/success away from the lab/parent's basement... joins the crowd of "hipsters". lol. i'm sure he's gutted dilbert doesn't approve.
I think the problem is you're angry someone who does something interesting, challenging and productive has been lumped in with your kind.
actually he didn't get his PhD until after freddy mercury was long gone, and i'm not sure you can call a master's graduate or an ABD candidate an 'astrophysicist' any more than you can call me a 'literary theorist' right now.
You need a PhD to be something now? Only in academia I guess.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You really only need a lab coat if there's a chance that you spill your clothes with something.
Often the coat is more to protect the equipment or the experiment from you than vice-versa.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria

Dilbert_X wrote:

Often the coat is more to protect the equipment or the experiment from you than vice-versa.
No, not your generic, white lab coat.
They're as dirty as your normal clothes, likely even dirtier, as you don't change/wash them as often as your clothes.

You'd need more sophisticated protection suits for that.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
and if we're talking astrophysics you really are talking a cheap shirt and some shorts.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

globefish23 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

labcoats
I really despise this silly stereotype.
And even then, they're mostly uncomfortable and you want to avoid them.
(Unless some potential customers or work inspectors are in.)

Astrophysicists definitely don't need one, and I guess you barely see any labcoats at CERN at all.

Also, I prefer Greg Graffin (paleontologist/Bad Religion) and Milo Aukerman (biochemist/Descendants).
I read both of his books. Brilliant guy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I think the problem is you're angry someone who does something interesting, challenging and productive has been lumped in with your kind.
You need a PhD to be something now? Only in academia I guess.
wait, i'm angry? you're the one calling the guy names because he's a scientist with a styled haircut who used to play in a rockband. i'm not calling him anything. where am i angry? i just don't like the sort of 'factual lite' programming he fronts on the bbc. it's a style of documentary/factual television that has overtaken the previous bbc style, which swaps out erudition and lots of hard facts with wishy-washy 'epic' visual sequences and 'so inspiring' ambient music. it's just another thing that marks the dumbing down of our public culture. do i have a problem with him, personally? no. you're the one calling him a "hipster". looks like you're the one who is personally affronted because of something he does. not me. a little confused how you're trying to turn that one around.

and yes, you do need a doctorate to be an 'astrophysicist'. are you really trying to suggest someone with a bachelor's or master's, i.e. pre-research level, can call themselves an astrophysicist? someone with a bachelor's in biology can call themselves a 'biologist'? someone with a bachelor's in psychology can call themselves a 'psychologist'? please. these are professional/career terms. they denote, at the very least, a level of professional employment or research activity. the guitarist from queen didn't 'become' an 'astrophysicist' until the band were in semi-retirement. you just got your chronology wrong. don't argue such an inane point. it's tedious. if you really want to stand by that ludicrous assertion, you better get used to me calling myself an 'econonomist' from now on, because i have an A-Level in Econ. "only in academia", you say, yet again harping on that tired old whorish complaint. lol. you are a fucking moron. an astrophysicist will almost always be an academic. an astrophysicist is someone who works in high-level theoretical research about... astrophysics... at a... research centre or university. so yes, duh, "only in academia" (those bothersome lot!) would you need a PhD to be considered an astrophysicist!!!!!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

a style of documentary/factual television that has overtaken the previous bbc style, which swaps out erudition and lots of hard facts with wishy-washy 'epic' visual sequences and 'so inspiring' ambient music. it's just another thing that marks the dumbing down of our public culture.
Call it by its name:
American-style documentary

Where everything has to be like the dramatic climax of an action movie.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
That is honestly one thing that I as an American feel the need to apologize for Christ I hate it so much.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

If its an indie documentary you don't generally see that formula. King of Kong, Thin Blue Line, Paris is Burning (this one came to mind when reading the uzi v. Roc gay black arguments), I could list dozens that don't fit that description. You probably just watch shitty docs.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i am specifically talking about the bbc's documentaries. don't tell me i only watch shitty documentaries, you fucking philistine. read the thread before going off on one about your fine delectation in factual programming. we're not all retards.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard