Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
WoW really was the biggest gaming phenomenon i can think of. all these morons gibbering over 2-bit LoL nowadays do not even know. i saw the most hardcore FPS players imaginable get bitten by that bug and sink years of their life into it -- without regrets (i have none, either). even though it was a reinvention of so many already-existing MMO features, WoW just seemed to come along and offer the perfect balance for almost everyone. it was so fully realized and immersive, as well, back then when hardware/internet connections were just getting up to a level where it was feasible.

more so than any 'HD re-release' of an FPS game, i would pay huge amounts of money to be able to play a legitimate and supported version of vanilla WoW again. fuck the disgraceful expansion packs. the original WoW boiled down that 'community'/'hobbyist' ethos i was talking about w/r/t early FPS games, and established it in concrete, played out over a hundred little microcosms, as WoW servers. it was great.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
Why were the expansion packs so disgraceful?  Isn't that the only way to prolong the life of a game?

Also, this map

https://i.imgur.com/BY14cCp.jpg
Roc18
`
+655|5789|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
I don't understand why someone would sit and watch people play LoL and Starcraft for hours. Seems boring as fuck just watching and not playing. And the fact that companies are making money off it is hilarious. I guess that's entertaining to many people.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

well to be fair it does seem to be mainly people like finray, so it's not like the potential contributors to society are wasting away on twitch
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

more so than any 'HD re-release' of an FPS game, i would pay huge amounts of money to be able to play a legitimate and supported version of vanilla WoW again. fuck the disgraceful expansion packs. the original WoW boiled down that 'community'/'hobbyist' ethos i was talking about w/r/t early FPS games, and established it in concrete, played out over a hundred little microcosms, as WoW servers. it was great.
well it sort of happened with runescape?

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2013-03-15 12:01:56)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
is that a joke or were you sincerely trying to compare WoW to runescape

cf. finray comment
Trotskygrad
бля

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

cf. finray comment
no, runescape offered a limited roll back of their servers to a 2007 version, because of popular demand.

Last week, Mod Mark posted a thread on our forums highlighting some of the nostalgic and often passionate discussions within the community around a desired return of an ‘old school’ version of RuneScape. Specifically, the fine vintages of 2006 & 2007 appeared to be the high point of collective interest. Our team then set out to see if we had a backup that went that far back; if restoring the backup was even technically possible; and what specific content these potential old RuneScape backups might contain.

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2013-03-15 12:22:38)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
was not aware. can't say i've ever played that, though. it's like pondlife.

i heartily agree with this retro-mania, though. contemporary games blow.
Trotskygrad
бля

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

was not aware. can't say i've ever played that, though. it's like pondlife.

i heartily agree with this retro-mania, though. contemporary games blow.
well it's not entirely far-fetched for a return to "old WoW"

thing is blizzard is probably too busy promoting HotS and fucking around with D3 to even care, since those games are their revenue streams nowadays.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
the economic rationalisation never makes any sense, though... because it would cost them next to NOTHING to relaunch an old game. and the profits would be enormous.
Trotskygrad
бля

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

the economic rationalisation never makes any sense, though... because it would cost them next to NOTHING to relaunch an old game. and the profits would be enormous.
perhaps, but why don't they then? if it's so obvious
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
probably because it's not exactly a marketable thing to brag about at the latest e3 or whatever. the major companies are caught up in a sequel/franchise war.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Trotskygrad wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Because in the minds of corporate execs, shitty games which were made 1 or 2 years ago are better than fantastic games made 10 years ago.  Multi-national corporations across the board, not just video games, are narcissistic, paranoid, insecure.    Re-making an old game would be akin to admitting defeat, or surrendering.  "They would stop buying our new shit if we updated our old shit" I can hear them saying that now in the boardroom.  "A bunch of losers out there think shit we did 10 years ago was better.  Well, they're a bunch of nerdy nobodies.  According to my spreadsheet, the games we make now are better than they were 10 years ago.  Carry on"

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-15 14:54:31)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
I think I'm onto something there.  They see the amount of people playing video games skyrocketing, they think they're doing something right.  When in reality it is just the technological/digitization of the economy, making video games a mainstream, everyday thing for everybody with a smart phone.  The problem is, the nerds are not happy.

I think once we go purely digital it will get way better.  Individual developers will be able to just sell their games on their website.  You'd still need someone to produce the thing, but cutting out the middle man (the physical production of discs and packaging and shipment costs etc etc) will weaken the corporate structure/business model of the large publishers.

I for one would love to see EA go private.  No more shareholders.  Video games should not be tied to the stock markets.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-15 15:02:57)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire

Spearhead wrote:

I think once we go purely digital it will get way better.  Individual developers will be able to just sell their games on their website.
They all already do that.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Well, I'm talking about after no more physical games.  It's still not purely digital

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-15 15:08:40)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Spearhead wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Because in the minds of corporate execs, shitty games which were made 1 or 2 years ago are better than fantastic games made 10 years ago.  Multi-national corporations across the board, not just video games, are narcissistic, paranoid, insecure.    Re-making an old game would be akin to admitting defeat, or surrendering.  "They would stop buying our new shit if we updated our old shit" I can hear them saying that now in the boardroom.  "A bunch of losers out there think shit we did 10 years ago was better.  Well, they're a bunch of nerdy nobodies.  According to my spreadsheet, the games we make now are better than they were 10 years ago.  Carry on"
its not that.  Think of it like a movie studio.  A studio could churn out indie movie after indie movie while turning a profit on each one - spending $5M in production costs for $20M in revenue - a net income of $15M.  They'd rather bet big - after all, it's not their money they are gambling, it's the investors.  So why not go for spending $150M hoping to bring in $500M in revenue - a net income of $350M?

Some of it is about perception, sure - that's why they parade out stats like "most sold in a single week", "most sold in first 24 hours" etc - much like a movie studio's "biggest non-4 day weekend opening" and shit like that.  So instead of going after the niche - hardcore PC gamers/art house aficianados (the 'power users'), they go after John Q Public, the masses.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Still, it'd be nice for them to maybe cut some tens of millions from those hundreds of millions to do something nice every once in a while
Roc18
`
+655|5789|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
You guys like or hate the fact that EA is jewing everyone out of their money by putting micro transactions in all their games now?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
The guy in EA who said that backpeddled and said that we "misunderstood" and he just meant mobile games.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
Apparently some of EA's games are on sale for a week in Origin:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/EA-Origin-P … 16863.html

I might have to scoop up Mass Effect 3 for $10
Brasso
+1,549|6629

in other news, people are still buying EA games. more at 11.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

_j5689_ wrote:

Apparently some of EA's games are on sale for a week in Origin:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/EA-Origin-P … 16863.html

I might have to scoop up Mass Effect 3 for $10
You'll regret it.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

well to be fair it does seem to be mainly people like finray, so it's not like the potential contributors to society are wasting away on twitch
hi

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

cf. finray comment
hi
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
"LoL is a pretty decent game" - finray

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard