Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DUnlimited wrote:

i know, i remember those magazines, though i never played the original tomb raiders. i still think ranting about sex oppression in video games is fucking retarded and people like /shitredditsays/ are fucking disgusting and spearhead's posts are like copypasted from there
so you passionately hate a reddit with 300 subscribers? how do you even know about some niche ass shit like that? you spend way too much time on reddit.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

fixed the link. srs is widely known for retarded super-fundamental feminist witch hunts. definitely not niche.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2013-03-19 07:09:35)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
well i haven't heard of it, so it clearly hasn't left the nerd moron recesses of reddit. who gives a shit about reddit politics? do you post in /r/atheism all the time, too? people who go to reddit for any sort of intellectual engagement are fucking pondlife.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

i dont post much on reddit and i pretty much only use it to keep up to date with some games. people on r/atheism are just as bad as r/srs but that's besides the point.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
they are all united by the fact in common that they masturbate to lara croft
Brasso
+1,549|6600

heyo, so i just bought a new video card and it came with a Steam code of Tomb Raider (2013). but i already have the game. if anyone wants to buy it, let me know. otherwise i'll sell it somewhere else
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
how about you gift it to me so that i can write an 8,000 word second-wave french feminist critique of its tropes and signifiers.

i'll write a dedication to you in the epigraph, so that you'll be immortalized in the pages of my radical crit theory journal.

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

Brasso wrote:

Look!  An anorexic, hideously deformed cartoon character with boobs!

This is why our culture has gone to shit
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
It's not meant to be lifelike, man.

Next you will be pissed that Crash Bandicoot runs around on his hind legs wearing pants and gloves, real bandicoots don't do that!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i'm not sure crash bandicoot is the same thing.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Spearhead wrote:

Brasso wrote:

Look!  An anorexic, hideously deformed cartoon character with boobs!

This is why our culture has gone to shit
no this is not why our culture has gone to shit.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
league of legends is why our gaming culture has gone to shit

isn't that right du
DUnlimited
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

league of legends is why our gaming culture has gone to shit

isn't that right du
all this talk about dumbed down games is kind of pointless. everyone on this forum would agree that unreal tournament or quake or battlefield 1942 were better quality games than modern warfare of bf4 will ever be. everyone will agree that dota 2 is more complex and deep than league of legends will ever be. that doesnt mean lol is a shit game or 'gaming culture has gone to shit'.

i am sad that fps games are so shallow these days, but nevertheless mw4 will outsell every fps game produced before it so why would i mourn? online gaming isn't an adolescent niche anymore as it was when we played our first online games. it's just gone mainstream, the target audience has changed radically. when has the best quality product of any genre ever been the most sold?

there is a reason lol is the most played online game in the world. it's easy to learn, fun, free, and still has a high skill-curve. maybe not as high as dota 2 but at least it's not likely to die off in 2 years.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2013-03-21 07:11:27)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
are you trying to imply dota 2 will die off in 2 years, because it is different and for the hardcore 'niche'? lol. LoL wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Dota 1 still being relevant 10-15 years after it was developed. you idiot. on the contrary, you could make the argument that the only thing sustaining LoL's semblance of a community is all the hype and noise sustained by the corporate money and support in the scene. the whole 'pro culture' and 'team franchise' fanboy thing only exists because the teams play it. the teams only play it because the backers provide a lot of money. that's a fairly shifting and ephemeral thing, don't you think?

what's more sustainable and long-term: a gaming scene built around prize-money and corporate esports deals, or a gaming scene built around hardcore hobbyist enthusiasm? companies move on. the dota 1 scene didn't die for a decade. how many pro esports games in the west do you know that have big money backers behind them after a decade?

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-21 07:23:56)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

none because "esports" with actual financial backing is a new phenomenon
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DUnlimited
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

are you trying to imply dota 2 will die off in 2 years, because it is different and for the hardcore 'niche'? lol. LoL wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Dota 1 still being relevant 10-15 years after it was developed. you idiot. on the contrary, you could make the argument that the only thing sustaining LoL's semblance of a community is all the hype and noise sustained by the corporate money and support in the scene. the whole 'pro culture' and 'team franchise' fanboy thing only exists because the teams play it. the teams only play it because the backers provide a lot of money. that's a fairly shifting and ephemeral thing, don't you think?

what's more sustainable and long-term: a gaming scene built around prize-money and corporate esports deals, or a gaming scene built around hardcore hobbyist enthusiasm? companies move on. the dota 1 scene didn't die for a decade. how many pro esports games in the west do you know that have big money backers behind them after a decade?
90% of the corporate support for lol and the 'esports' scene around it comes from riot themselves, not third party sponsors. the top teams are employed by riot.

i am implying dota 2 will die off more likely than lol, because it does not appeal to new people like lol does. it's hard and unrewarding to get into.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2013-03-21 07:50:53)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

DUnlimited wrote:

i am implying dota 2 will die off more likely than lol, because it does not appeal to new people like lol does. it's hard and unrewarding to get into.
and LoL is easy and rewarding, i take it. care to elaborate?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Brasso wrote:

no it's not. there have been loads of sponsorship bubbles and pony tournaments in the history of gaming. this is just the latest phase. the 'casting revenue stream' and 'propped up by the game company' phase. yeah, that's going to last long. lots of economic experts here, clearly.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DUnlimited wrote:

you've played less than 10 games, you'd sure know it feels "unrewarding", wouldn't you? just like you 'knew' tf2 wasn't a good esports game, after 0 hours even in public servers. nice to see you're a games expert as well as an economic analyst.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
you guys remember when Riot games were called blizzard, and LoL was called WoW? and the super-duper spectator sport, which had loads of sponsorship money and massive organized tournaments, and pro teams/players, was called WoW arena? and when that WoW arena was a dumbed down version of the previous warcraft battlegrounds? simplified and made more graspable? more spectator friendly? you guys remember that? i'm really glad the WoW arena esports scene is still going so strong. these one company, one-trick-pony esports spectacles sure are immortal.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-21 09:26:24)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Brasso wrote:

no it's not. there have been loads of sponsorship bubbles and pony tournaments in the history of gaming. this is just the latest phase. the 'casting revenue stream' and 'propped up by the game company' phase. yeah, that's going to last long. lots of economic experts here, clearly.
you don't have to insult me. i didn't say it was going to last long. i'm just saying there's no telling where it will go.

the massive increase in popularity of livestreaming is a big deal in the progression of "esports." although games such as quake and the original dota had "loads of sponsorship bubbles and pony tournaments," they didn't have the "big" organizations to back them - e.g. MLG, IEM, GSL, Garena, etc. i think over 150,000 concurrent viewers is nothing to scoff at. LoL and on a lesser note, SC2 are not going anywhere unless the viewers magically stop watching, people stop attending events like MLG, and consumers decide to buy things that aren't Razer and Steelseries.

tl;dr - esports makes money, corporate backers are not leaving any time soon
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
the only proven and 'new' formula arisen in the LoL thing is that its more profitable and conducible to business to reduce gamers to passive-consuming spectators, than to actually have them playing. the only party interested in people actually playing their games are Riot. the other esports corporates need spectator/advertising/stream revenue. yeah really great development. such an improvement over the hobbyist scenes of earlier fps games, where everyone actually played and took part, rather than buying 'favourite team' badges and watching youtube/reddit all day. you must be really satisfied with how 'successful' esports is getting.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

the only proven and 'new' formula arisen in the LoL thing is that its more profitable and conducible to business to reduce gamers to passive-consuming spectators, than to actually have them playing. the only party interested in people actually playing their games are Riot. the other esports corporates need spectator/advertising/stream revenue. yeah really great development. such an improvement over the hobbyist scenes of earlier fps games, where everyone actually played and took part, rather than buying 'favourite team' badges and watching youtube/reddit all day. you must be really satisfied with how 'successful' esports is getting.
just my observations and opinions. i'm not really invested in esports since i'm not a corporate head and i do actually play games for fun. yes, "pro" teams are fun to watch, but i would much rather play than watch ofc.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
esports used to be run by people who "played for fun". now it's treated as a 'lifestyle' choice or 'profession' (shudder) and the corporates run the show, in a top-down hierarchy. you WILL watch the top teams and the top players. give us your ad money. come to the tournaments... but sit and spectate. almost every FPS tournament i went to back in the day had rag-tag teams of friends entering for fun, to get involved and shoot the shit. now it's about an audience all facing a stage. oh and buy the merchandise! plug the products. the community ethos of gaming is being pillaged whilst corporates laugh and get rich off people's enthusiasm for a video-game. such a great development. i am really excited for the future.

as i said before, the one-company-props-up-a-competitive-corporate-scene experiment failed with WoW arena, and that was the biggest game in the world in its day, too. LoL won't last. it's a speculative bubble. and almost none of the money and hype behind it is there because the actual game/community are 'oh wow'. all the major players are only in it for the temporary short-term profit motive.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
here's the thing: the same people who bitch and moan about fps games and other genres being "shit" now because of the "dumbing down" and "omg wtf activision" and "fuck EA" type complaints, are the same people who welcome LoL as the coming of a second-wave of gaming greatness. it's the exact same forces acting upon all of this.  corporate interests and lowest common denominator game-design are what have ruined fps games and old franchises (like call of duty, and possibly like tomb raider, too). these are the major corporate interests and bottom-line market factors that are determining game design now (i.e. its simplification, its wide-appeal, its micro-transaction money where everything costs a little bit, and you'll keep giving us money for the indefinite future, etc.).

people who have played fps games for a few years and know their shit smelt this a mile off. they all complain and say how bad modern fps games are. how crappy and unsuitable they are for competitive play, etc. omg corporations and console kiddies and casuals and noobs killed FPS games. yada yada. but then you all pick up 'babies first MOBA' and you're saying it's the greatest thing ever. what you don't realize is that LoL is just DotA dumbified and made shit. LoL is the black ops of the MOBA world. you are all effectively the dumb console-kiddies that are contributing to the increasing shit-ification of gaming. just the perspectives have been reversed: whereas you're all FPS old timers, and complain about the new generation of crap FPS games, now you're MOBA newcomers, and you think "omg, this is great, it's so accessible! xD!"/

you are fucking hypocrits. you are contributing to gaming's corporate death. and you're deluded enough to be happy about it, and think it's just fuckin' great.... hilarious.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-21 09:42:40)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard