FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Jay wrote:

In fairness to programmers regarding pathing, in order to do something like google navigation where it directs you along the shortest path while taking traffic into account, it requires a set of updating differential equations in order to get it right. When you have tens of thousands of little sims all moving about, dynamic pathing becomes a nightmare to compute. It's much easier when the sim is spawned, to set it's destination via shortest x,y straight line than to account for road speed etc. Lazy programming, sure, but it's either that or older systems get bogged down and the game is unplayable.
SC3K managed it, SC4 managed it (slightly worse)

fucking RC1 and 2 managed it, and they were designed by 3 dudes. this shit isn't hard - 'x route is jammed, find y route' 'x route is shortest, but y route is quickest' etc
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
sc4 traffic was terrible
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
not really

and you could actually place decent road systems, and subways lol
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
I miss the original SC for nintendo where you could replace all the roads with light rail. it made pollution negligible.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-13 16:11:47)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
when sims dont drive more than 50feet to work then theres a problem
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oh, is that the one where the car would vanish into thin air and magically reappear near its destination?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
my sims in sc4 happily cross town because they recognise that they get there faster if they take the bus/train/subway
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Jay wrote:

Oh, is that the one where the car would vanish into thin air and magically reappear near its destination?
the game kept track of where shit went (you could check the routes each house/business took for a given journey), but they just didn't render the actual trip all the time.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

Jay wrote:

the game kept track of where shit went (you could check the routes each house/business took for a given journey), but they just didn't render the actual trip all the time.
I always thought it was funny. SC4 is the version where they let you drive ambulances and stuff, right? I always thought it was on the goofy side and turned off the notifications.
-Frederick Bastiat
bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

can you turn off natural disasters like you could in the OG sim city?
You can enable sandbox mode, but it changes more than just disasters. Can't remember what tho
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

lol EA.  You miserable, pathetic fuckheads

ps.  looks like someone found the dlc content

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-14 10:29:50)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Jay wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Jay wrote:

I always thought it was funny. SC4 is the version where they let you drive ambulances and stuff, right? I always thought it was on the goofy side and turned off the notifications.
yup. amusing little mini-game while waiting for changes to kick in, but didn't add much. it was part of their 'making it personal' idea, same reason they added the sims integration
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

I made a full residential city, no industry or commercial. No other cities in the region.

The messages the sims tell you?

"There are great places to shop!"

https://i.imgur.com/UseiHBf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
This game is so fuckin lame.  I hope it contributes to the downfall of EA.

If they continue to make this kind of shit and people ten years down the road are still paying for this crap I will have lost all faith in humanity.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-14 12:33:00)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

god that looks horrible.  I think i've made up my mind
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Screw you EA

https://i.imgur.com/5b7sHdU.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i'm not sure london has a large island in the west. it would more fittingly be named paris.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
That's just the default region setup.  It started out as the Thames river but as you can see I modified it heavily so I could build lots of ferries
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Sadly, though, there is no old European architecture (at least in the vanilla game).  Only Chicago 1893, New York 1940's, Houston 1990's, and "Euro-contemporary"

I for one would love to see a Simcity type game with realistic architectural styles.  I mean, like, hundreds of buildings for every style so that they are rarely (if ever) repeated.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-14 12:52:18)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

Sadly, though, there is no old European architecture (at least in the vanilla game).  Only Chicago 1893, New York 1940's, Houston 1990's, and "Euro-contemporary"

I for one would love to see a Simcity type game with realistic architectural styles.  I mean, like, hundreds of buildings for every style so that they are rarely (if ever) repeated.
That's what mod packs are for (doubt you can use them in an online tethered game though )
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock

Spearhead wrote:

Shahter wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

Part of sim city appeal was you could literally use it to kill time anywhere. The problem with always online DRM is that it inevitably inconveniences the people that buy the game, not the pirates who always find ways around it.

Also there is no need for sim city to have to be played online, it's perfectly fine offline

Oh and when EA inevitably shuts down the servers, no more sim city even though you bought the game
my points. thanks for answering for me.
Another reason is that you are not really "buying" the game at all.  EA said they do a lot of the computing stuff on their servers, meaning that its literally physically impossible for the game to exist outside the internet.  They basically took one of the the most influential single player games ever made and turned it into an MMORTS
Turns out not

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/modd … -20130314/
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

EA have just lied about everything with this game.

One likens it to Spore.

Zones are meaningless. Sims have no fixed house or job (they flow like water to the nearest open slot), regions don't contribute to others - it's totally faked. They don't send you resources but you'll be told they have.

The only feature of the game I like, is the graphics. Cities can look great (minus the terrible size limits).
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Sounds eerily similar to some other games EA has released in the past 2 years, doesn't it?

cough* BF3 cough cough Mass Effect 3 cough cough

But look at the shiny graphics!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

AussieReaper wrote:

One likens it to Spore.

Zones are meaningless. Sims have no fixed house or job (they flow like water to the nearest open slot), regions don't contribute to others - it's totally faked. They don't send you resources but you'll be told they have.
have you personally checked any of this? maybe it's only anti-ea internet trolls spewing bullshit? or maybe those are bugs and will be fixed? because if the above is actually true it's a fucking outrage.

Last edited by Shahter (2013-03-15 00:28:22)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland

AussieReaper wrote:

One likens it to Spore.

The only feature of the game I like, is the graphics. Cities can look great (minus the terrible size limits).
Pretty sure they do contribute to each other, but there are bugs at the mo cos of server issues. The resources they send only work intermittently.

As for your residential city, you know Sims commute top other regions for shopping and work? Once more of that city develops tho, you'll get a lot of complaints.

Not sure about your jobs issue, haven't really looked at that. I know I've had sims complain that there aren't the right jobs for them tho

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard