Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

If the US government is a part of it and not actively supporting the IRA against the UK...why not?
Sweet.

Here's the plan.

The US can clear US airspace over Boston, MI6 will be operating Predator drones to take out some bad guys, ie Irish-Americans who support the IRA with intel, funding, planning and propaganda.

The British will kill whoever they have intel on, the kill list will be set by a secret committee in Britain - the US won't get to see the list or the intel.

Sure there'll be collateral US civilian casualties, women, children, the odd hospital here and there, the US can eat that as part of the price of being a good ally in the war on terror.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-03-01 22:37:22)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5976|Blue Mountain State
Why drones?

What about James Bond?
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why risk our best when we can rain on micks?
1stSFOD-Delta
Jason Bourne is better anyway.

Baba Booey
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But he never killed any terrorists, just stole a lot of cars.
1stSFOD-Delta
Either way, we're still going to do what we want and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Baba Booey
1stSFOD-Delta
Like launching missiles from drones into shit-hole middle eastern countries

Baba Booey
1stSFOD-Delta
Or spending in SOF in stealth helicopters to kill people in places like Abbottabad.

Baba Booey
1stSFOD-Delta
Who's going to stop us?

Canada?

Baba Booey
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5034|Massachusetts, USA
Worse, the Swiss.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In the long run its going to prove to be completely counter-productive, besides being a crime.

When other nations start doing it the US won't be able to complain.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5034|Massachusetts, USA
We will just use our superior drone fleet to smash them to bits.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
history will judge you. no empire lasts forever. in fact, america's time is already on the way out, what with the changing global economic and resources shift. most of your worst empire-building strategy has arisen from this new predicament you find yourselves in: it's a power squabble. you've been the pre-eminent global power for, what, 100 years? you got a rise from europe blowing itself to smithereens and coming to you for massive loans and support in the two world wars. 100 years is a pathetic time. say hello to your new asian overlords. when people write the history books in 250 years' time, and the global discourse/consciousness shifts away from yankiee doodle america, you guys are going to come off all the worse for your actions. you guys have an attitude like america's place as a superpower is some sort of 'natural' right and privilege. the italians and french thought that, too. look what happened as soon as the major european empires lost their no.1 spot: 50 years of post-colonial critique, and a major turn in historicism towards outright criticism of these powers. you think the same thing won't happen to america? bring on the centuries of self-loathing.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
I do fear that, there is only hope for a course correction, but that ain't likely.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

history will judge you. no empire lasts forever.
True enough.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

In fact, america's time is already on the way out
"This report of my death was an exaggeration" - Mark Twain

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

most of your worst empire-building strategy has arisen from this new predicament you find yourselves in: it's a power squabble. you've been the pre-eminent global power for, what, 100 years? you got a rise from europe blowing itself to smithereens and coming to you for massive loans and support in the two world wars. 100 years is a pathetic time.
You conflate two concepts. 
The British Empire was focused on building Empire
(note: East India Trading Company, history of India/Pakistan/Afghanistan).

The United States is more concerned with trade. 
We don't want to rule the world, we just want to buy & sell stock in everything.
Or, to put it more cynically; 'we want your oil. We'd actually prefer not to see the human and environmental cost of how you get it out of the ground'

We don't want to OWN anything.  That's far too long term for our attention spans.  We'd rather be a shareholder, or renter.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

say hello to your new asian overlords.
Oh, you mean the ones that are choking on their own coal pollution, passed 'peak labor' 7 years ago (available labor is on the decline), and are facing myriad social and economic issues?

Also, China is about as interested in Empire (in the British & European sense) as the United States or Russia.
Which is to say - not at all.
The US, Russia, and China already have all the land they want.
We're all more interested in global influence, and not so much on occupying India or Algeria.

To counterbalance the above point; China will get by. China has been China for 10,000 years. They'll be there 10,000 years from now too.
10,000 years.  A longer lifespan than your British Empire, by far.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

when people write the history books in 250 years' time, and the global discourse/consciousness shifts away from yankiee doodle america, you guys are going to come off all the worse for your actions.
Western history seems to have forgiven Spain, England, France, Russia, and others for their past excesses.

China, Japan, and Korea have their own (longer) perspective on history.
And their own ability to forget certain events, while holding ancient grudges over other events.

European "World Wars" from 1915-1945?  10 million dead, including the Jewish Holocaust of 6 million.
Russia and China lost over 60 million people during WW-II alone.
For as much narcissistic 'storm and noise' as Europe makes about their self-destruction, the majority of the suffering was in Asia and Russia, NOT Europe.

Compared to that, our pissing about in the desert for 10-20 years is nothing.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you guys have an attitude like america's place as a superpower is some sort of 'natural' right and privilege. the italians and french thought that, too. look what happened as soon as the major european empires lost their no.1 spot: 50 years of post-colonial critique, and a major turn in historicism towards outright criticism of these powers. you think the same thing won't happen to america? bring on the centuries of self-loathing.
You neglect to mention the British Empire. Again.

Put down the Camus, and his incessant hand-wringing over the French Empire in North Africa.

Try a little Kipling or TE Lawrence for a bit.
Perhaps a light read of Games Without Rules: The Often-Interrupted History of Afghanistan by Tamim Ansary.

Middle East is going to turn into a regional stalemate between Iran and Saudi Arabia, Asia is going to be a stalemate between Japan & Korea versus China.
The 19th century game was "Empire" as practiced by Europe, Britain, and Russia.
The 20th century was "The Great Game", post-colonial tin-pot dictatorships, and drawing ill-conceived lines on maps at the UN.

The 21st century is going to be about "regional balancing". 
Why send your troops "over there" when you can set the locals against each other in a neatly balanced stalemate?
People are always going to find a reason to be pissed at the other guy - give them a controlled, balanced conflict.
Clear out all the old, outdated Sunni strongman dictators (Quadaffi, Saddam Hussein, etc) - in with Persians versus Arabs, Sunni versus Shia.
In essence, if you've got two regional powers glaring at each other, they're NOT wasting their energy on your nation.
Let the locals deal with the locals - keeps the Westerners from doing the bleeding and dying, and the locals are better at understanding the locals (duh..)

When the US left Iraq, the most useful bits of Iraq fell under Shia control (i.e. Iranian influence)
When the US leaves Afghanistan, it's going to be a pissing contest between the Pakistani ISI, Al Quaeda/Taliban, and Iranian Quds forces.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
almost none of that responds to the horrific attitude some americans have shown here with regard to international law, and the questionable ethics of drone-strikes that kill innocent people in neutral countries. i haven't read camus since i was about 19, but thanks for the attempts at condescension. my point was that a few americans here evidently consider themselves immune from criticism or any code of conduct/international law, because america is "fuck yeah, #1". i'm not interested in a 2,000 word balanced critique of imperialism versus neo-imperialism. my point in invoking historical examples is that nobody occupies #1 for long - history is too contingent at its worst, and purely dialectical at its best and most manageable. some peoples' attitude here stinks. it's not even the 'world police' rhetoric anymore, it's more like a 'we'll do whatever we want with the world' approach. not even maintaining a pretension of positive ethics or safe-guarding anymore. just machiavellian  opportunism.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-02 09:24:37)

rdx-fx
+955|6589

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

almost none of that responds to the horrific attitude some americans have shown here with regard to international law, and the questionable ethics of drone-strikes that kill innocent people in neutral countries. i haven't read camus since i was about 19, but thanks for the attempts at condescension. my point was that a few americans here evidently consider themselves immune from criticism or any code of conduct/international law, because america is "fuck yeah, #1". i'm not interested in a 2,000 word balanced critique of imperialism versus neo-imperialism. my point in invoking historical examples is that nobody occupies #1 for long - historical is too contingent at worse, and dialectical at its best and most manageable. some people's attitude here stinks. it's not even the 'world police' rhetoric anymore, it's more like a 'we'll do whatever we want with the world' approach. not even maintaining a pretension of positive ethics or safe-guarding anymore. just machiavellian  opportunism.
I don't care much to explain, rationalize, pardon, or understand the whole 'Murka, Fuck Yeah! meme.
It's naieve, myopic, and pretentious.

It's not about writing a thesis on neo-classical-pseudo-imperialism or somesuch bullshit.

My point in general was that America and the modern world are not about Empire, or any derivative of such.
To view it through that outdated perspective is to start from a mistaken premise.
It comes damned close to Pauli's "Not even wrong"

My point, in specific, was regarding your personal blind spot regarding the British Empire yet having that history pervasively colo(u)r your perspective.
You mention the French and Spanish, but not the British.
You insist on viewing America thorough the outdated lens of a shareholder in the British East India company (as an analogy)

And, yes, I have to give you a ration of condescending sarcastic shit obliquely referencing your literary education.
It's like a rule here or something...
"STEM rules! Art drools!"

Drones? 
Fuck yeah!
I'll take a pile of pimply drone pilots over a bunch of egotistical Top Gun fighter pilots any day of the week.
Even with their new medal, the drone pilots are more modest than any fighter pilot you'll meet.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
imo in the age of global capitalism, empire building doesn't need to be about land and direct resource control. neo-imperialism via economics and international trade power is no different in end-effect from imperialism. it's just control by another means. the actual territorial control and political control are now irrelevancies; global capital is trans-national and without borders. to refute claims that the "mericuh, fuck yeah!" attitude has nothing to do with imperial tendencies (or some sort of super-power ego) is pretty misguided. neo-imperialism and imperialism are the same shit - the same nationalist chauvinism.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
Don't forget, Israel is the Brits fault.
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Spearhead wrote:

Don't forget, Israel is the Brits fault.
I'm bored with that one.

Used to be a nice way to get both Dilbert and Uzique in one pithy little line.

Not so effective anymore.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
i am not bothered at all about us creating israel. is it our "fault"? jesus i wouldn't say britain can take responsibility for zionist ideology. a messy partition, sure, but we proposed many state settlements that were far more amicable than the current situation. "fault" is a pretty ambiguous thing to place, here. but anyway, that's besides the point... i was never 'aggravated' by that. i literally do not give a shit about israel-palestine. nada.

and if i didn't mention a british reference, it's not because i'm "blind to it". britain, france, spain, whatever. it's all the same and all feeds into my same point. i'm not a closet british imperialist. i'll be just as freely critical of past british empire building - just so long as you american's temper your current enthusiasm for running the world with the same fair-minded approach.
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

imo in the age of global capitalism, empire building doesn't need to be about land and direct resource control. neo-imperialism via economics and international trade power is no different in end-effect from imperialism. it's just control by another means. the actual territorial control and political control are now irrelevancies; global capital is trans-national and without borders. to refute claims that the "mericuh, fuck yeah!" attitude has nothing to do with imperial tendencies (or some sort of super-power ego) is pretty misguided. neo-imperialism and imperialism are the same shit - the same nationalist chauvinism.
The lighter the touch needed to effect control, the better.

I'm not implying any value judgement on which is better or worse, British Empire or American Business.

American Business isn't about Empire at all.
They don't give a shit about colonies, about empire, about any of that.
It is about profit margins, stable supply chains, and a positive growth rate.

Sociopathic yuppie businessmen don't give a ratfuck about what a bunch of brown people are doing on the other side of an ocean, as long as Business gets done.
(to put it in words closer to their perspective).
It is a far colder, disinterested perspective than the British noble game of Empire and "taming the savages for their own good"

To a point, I think *some* people use the "'murka, fuck yeah" meme ironically, as a self-aware criticism.
Still, it's bound up with too much ignorance and narcissism for me to find any humor in it. Even ironically.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Whenever I read a rdx post I get the feeling he reads his post back to himself a few times and laughs about how clever he is.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

whenever i read a Macbeth post i get the feeling he wants to update it.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Please follow my Twitter.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard