(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
PS4

No backwards compatibility
Touchpad on controller
x86 CPU
Slightly prettier graphics

Release date: holiday season 2013

Not sure how to feel yet. But I guess this is good.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-02-21 06:50:03)

Roc18
`
+655|5761|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
I honestly don't give a fuck about the PS4. I'm just happy the next generation of consoles are releasing so PC gaming can take a step forward.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

The lack of backward's compatibility is what irks me most . I'll want the PS4 at some point, I've always got a Playstation. But to think my PS3 games would go the same way as my PS2 collection and sit unused is a pain in the ass. Someone suggested you might put the disk in the machine, it recognises it and then streams it in, but I really don't get why they don't include it to begin with. Here's hoping something logical comes out of this.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Its the Cell -> x86 architecture that kills backwards compatibility.  People have been musing about how easy it could be to crack and play on PC since they'll be based on the same architecture now...
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
That's interesting. As roc said the new generation of consoles will usher in a wave a better pc game engines. Which will mean pc technologies will also advance. Which means all ps4 games belong to us.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

I would guess doubly so since there wont be significant differences in designing for PS4 and PC.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
I lost interest in console gaming around the time I lost interest in smoking pot every day (start of 2003).
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I would guess doubly so since there wont be significant differences in designing for PS4 and PC.
share button
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

With two PS3's at home and a PS2, I don't really care about backwards compatibility in the PS4. What I do care about, since I've already got three four ways to watch Blu-Ray at home, is what I can play with it. Since I don't have a Vita, I can't really take advantage of that.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

With two PS3's at home and a PS2, I don't really care about backwards compatibility in the PS4. What I do care about, since I've already got three four ways to watch Blu-Ray at home, is what I can play with it. Since I don't have a Vita, I can't really take advantage of that.
We've got two PS3s (one in my room, one in my brother's), but if I had a PS4 I'd have to either go to my brother's room to play it, or swap out the PS3 in mine. Neither option is particularly convenient. Unless I can find a way to have both systems in my room. Depending on how big the PS4 is, I might be able to put it on my desk keyboard tray.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Tom's Hardware updated the hardware specs some more:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playst … 21191.html

Finally some Wireless N capability and USB 3.0 definitely would've had to be in there to keep it future-proofed.  Kind of surprised it didn't include Bluetooth 4.0 but it probably won't be a huge deal

Last edited by _j5689_ (2013-02-21 14:00:07)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

M.O.A.B wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

We've got two PS3s (one in my room, one in my brother's), but if I had a PS4 I'd have to either go to my brother's room to play it, or swap out the PS3 in mine. Neither option is particularly convenient. Unless I can find a way to have both systems in my room. Depending on how big the PS4 is, I might be able to put it on my desk keyboard tray.
I've got a fairly large desk, but the space on it is limited by all the electronics junk. I've taken to stacking my consoles vertically using a shelf made out of pine boards and brick spacers.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

I am kinda meh on the PS4. Not real big on the whole social interaction part of it. I play more games on the PC and kids use the PS3. I an not going to reinvest a bunch in games and have the PS3 collect dust when I just had to rebuy the PS3 like 8 months ago.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard