Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5956|London, England

thats a night club needle

are you impressed by my knowledge?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

as an fyi that music video above is made by david firth, the guy behind all the weird salad fingers-type animations (who also makes IDM music of his own under the alias locust toybox)
Sweet, didn't know that.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Mutantbear wrote:

thats a night club needle

are you impressed by my knowledge?
now tell me its merits compared to a stock needle/cartridge. preferably using graphs or tables.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

shakira has never done anything as creative as that in her life.
Well thats great, but no one has claimed that have they?

Then again, I'm just not hearing anything creative in that so I dunno lol.

aphex twin pretty much pioneered the 'warp' sound that characterized everything in the mid 90's and early 00's.
For example?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-20 00:41:47)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
you lived through the 90's in the UK but you're not familiar with IDM, or warp records? it was the defining sound of about, 15 years.

aphex twin, autechre, boards of canada, squarepusher, LFO, future sound of london etc.

rephlex (aphex and co.) coming from cornwall, autechre and a few others from manchester, the vast majority from sheffield's techno scene.

resolutely not "south london ambient drone". a nationwide moment in experimental/dance music that influenced everything to come.

i think it says a lot that people will still cite aphex, autechre, BoC etc. more so than any other electronic artists, even though their music is quite far removed by its complexity and near-undanceability. they still hold a massive sway over the contemporary dance scene - which is seen as one long historical continuum, all the way back to '87-'88 and the first major acid-house break-out.

why i am giving you notes on a period you actually lived through, as a young adult? i was about 4. and yet i know more than you. and yet your insults/critiques look even MORE stupid. did you spend that entire period in your mum's basement, too? no wonder you hate it all.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-20 01:32:23)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I wasn't going to raves, no.

What characterises the 'warp' sound then?
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher.

I'm not very familiar with their catalogue of artists but they're the three that immediately come to mind.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Dilbert_X wrote:

I wasn't going to raves, no.

i like how this has changed from you dismissing out of hand something you know nothing about as "derivative" to you asking for a history lesson. rofl. why don't you go check a wikipedia or something? why should i give you a history lecture or a lesson, just so that you can reformulate your desperate and asinine 'insults'? you are a joke, to be frank. in the books thread you got all butthurt me at - despite the fact i made several paragraph-long posts detailing, with explicit reasoning, why i dislike sci-fi as a genre - for doing EXACTLY what you are doing now, only with music. you are a total fucking joke. you rag on jay all the time, but in fact, your own shallow knowledge and petty bigotry is even worse.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you lived through the 90's in the UK but you're not familiar with IDM, or warp records? it was the defining sound of about, 15 years.

aphex twin, autechre, boards of canada, squarepusher, LFO, future sound of london etc.

rephlex (aphex and co.) coming from cornwall, autechre and a few others from manchester, the vast majority from sheffield's techno scene.

resolutely not "south london ambient drone". a nationwide moment in experimental/dance music that influenced everything to come.

i think it says a lot that people will still cite aphex, autechre, BoC etc. more so than any other electronic artists, even though their music is quite far removed by its complexity and near-undanceability. they still hold a massive sway over the contemporary dance scene - which is seen as one long historical continuum, all the way back to '87-'88 and the first major acid-house break-out.

why i am giving you notes on a period you actually lived through, as a young adult? i was about 4. and yet i know more than you. and yet your insults/critiques look even MORE stupid. did you spend that entire period in your mum's basement, too? no wonder you hate it all.
I don't take him to be the type that would frequent clubs. Why would he be aware of club music?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I don't take him to be the type that would frequent clubs. Why would he be aware of club music?
well jay, here's the thing: just as 90% of electronic music isn't sample based, 90% of all electronic music culture in the 80's and 90's didn't happen in clubs. the move into nightclubs is a post rave-act thing. it's very 00's. the majority of raves happened far outside of clubs and licensed premises. also, it was a fucking decade-defining zeitgeist movement. rave in the UK was massive - only comparable in the US to localized scenes on the west coast / san fran area, i'm guessing. it was of enough publicity and repute to garner national press attention, almost every week, and scaremongering. it had laws specifically passed and enacted to contain it, for christ's sake. at one point it was considered a subversive, dangerous, and potentially revolutionary (!) social counter-culture. don't confuse america's relationship to electronic music with the pretty massive sway it held here in the 90's and early 00's.

furthermore, that's all besides the point. IDM isn't 'club music'. it isn't even 'rave' music. it's pretty un-danceable. the warp stuff that defined a generation of british artists and electronic production to this day is definitely armchair/bedroom music. i don't think many people would really dance to aphex twin in a club. 160bpm polyrhythmic drill'n'bass is hardly jackin' 4/4 house music.

perhaps a more pertinent question: why are you two, evidently electronic-music allergics, insisting on still posting here? are you hoping, like a chimp with a typewriter spewing out shakespeare, that if you submit enough dumb posts, you'll finally strike gold and make a cogent point?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why are you arguing in the 'what are you listening to thread?' is the better question.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
because two inane idiots decided to start an argument when i posted a link to some music.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Why are you arguing in the 'what are you listening to thread?' is the better question.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 7#p3868057
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

For Jay ...

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
For Jaekus ...
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
For uzi ...
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
For the 90's ...
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i like how this has changed from you dismissing out of hand something you know nothing about as "derivative" to you asking for a history lesson.
I didn't ask for a history lesson, just for you to explain what you meant by 'the warp sound' which is apparently so unique.
So far it sounds like late 80s chillout lounge muzak.
furthermore, that's all besides the point. IDM isn't 'club music'. it isn't even 'rave' music. it's pretty un-danceable. the warp stuff that defined a generation of british artists and electronic production to this day is definitely armchair/bedroom music. i don't think many people would really dance to aphex twin in a club. 160bpm polyrhythmic drill'n'bass is hardly jackin' 4/4 house music.
Back then music which wasn't played live, on the radio or in clubs had a very narrow audience limited to industry insiders and hardcore audiophiles. Your playlist would be a lot shorter if you didn't have itunes, last.fm, youtube and torrenting to pick stuff up from but relied on swapping with friends and buying LPs on spec from reviews in NME.

You can't beat latin music though:

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-21 00:25:58)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
For Uzi

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma
So since we're linking to stuff, i need an expert to link me to a good Aphex twin set.
Then I can judge properly.

inb4youneedotseeitlive
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6537

PrivateVendetta wrote:

So since we're linking to stuff, i need an expert to link me to a good Aphex twin set.
Then I can judge properly.

inb4youneedotseeitlive

https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard