Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
the last 25 years haven't happened to dilbert. that's the mentality that arises in someone who is having to deal with the life failure of living at home in his mid-40's. you simply deny adulthood and the world ever moving on. dilbert lives in an extended adolescence. thus, the only music of 'merit' or worth noticing is music that was contemporaneous with his own teenage years, in the 70's and early 80's. everything after it is derivative trash. it's his oblique way of dealing with the trauma of a life that has fallen far short of all expectation.

aphex twin is about as major a figure in the history of modern music as any other. he is far more influential than tangerine dream. he is pretty much the point of reference for two entire generations of electronic artists, from the late 80's through to the modern 00's and on. calling him derivative because he has in the past, like any artist, listed some of his personal influences... is barmy. every artist and musician has influences. it's a long shot from being influenced by someone to being plainly derivative of them. you mask your ignorance of ambient music in a whole lot of bullshit, basically. you don't listen to the genre much, you clearly aren't all that inspired or enthused by it... so why argue to the point of inanity over a topic that is a complete non-topic for you? you're such a fucking bore it's untrue. go help your mum make the lasagne.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
here's another derivative 3-note drone rubbish piece from aphex twin, dilderp. isn't it awful?

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

here's another derivative 3-note drone rubbish piece from aphex twin, dilderp. isn't it awful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt5jPCvs7uQ

There's nothing new, unusual or special about it.
And you claim its novel, unique and inimitable?
If you can't accept its one part of a steady progression which incorporates and builds on whats gone before it I'd get your ears waxed or your head looked at. Maybe you have headphone-induced MS?

the only music of 'merit' or worth noticing is music that was contemporaneous with his own teenage years
Clearly the irony of plugging Aphex Twin endlessly hasn't hit you yet
I mean, didn't that fizzle out over a decade ago?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-15 00:52:44)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6471|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Armand Van Helden - Pulling g-spots

Zeek, you really need to add this to your playlist.

For you guys without Spotify.

http://www.musicme.com/Armand-Van-Helde … 19220.html
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
Clearly he's new, unusual or special. Not at all.

Richard D. James, better known as Aphex Twin (amongst his many other monikers), was a bit of a miracle selection for the Future Music Festival line-up. A legend in electronic music as well as a known recluse, Aphex Twin’s sounds sprawl far and wide: ranging from the gentle techno of Selected Ambient Works 85-92 to the raw DnB of Come to Daddy.

[...]

After a noisy end, the crowd roared and whistled for an encore, but he’s a DJ, and DJs don’t do encores. Maybe Calvin Harris would – but RDJ isn’t Calvin – and given how many genres of electronic music he’s redefined, perhaps we should all be thankful for that. For us, he made a brief hour-long set feel like a warehouse rave til dawn.
http://www.inthemix.com.au/events/revie … y_02032012

(I was at this gig but agonisingly missed most of it, thinking that a DJ set would start at 11pm, not finish at 11:30pm).
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt5jPCvs7uQ

There's nothing new, unusual or special about it.
And you claim its novel, unique and inimitable?
If you can't accept its one part of a steady progression which incorporates and builds on whats gone before it I'd get your ears waxed or your head looked at. Maybe you have headphone-induced MS?

the only music of 'merit' or worth noticing is music that was contemporaneous with his own teenage years
Clearly the irony of plugging Aphex Twin endlessly hasn't hit you yet
I mean, didn't that fizzle out over a decade ago?
aphex twin was 'contemporaneous' with me when i was about 4. i was raised on early electronic and rave-tapes, sure, but i wasn't quite that acutely aware of major trends and artists when i was still riding around on stabilizers and mostly wondering which variety of sweet confection was my favourite. my liking of aphex twin and my placing of him far above most other electronic producers is pretty much personally ahistorical: i came to him almost 10 years after the fact, with a rich knowledge of everything that had come before and after, and, still, i find his work exemplary and of particular note.

where am i saying his work is completely unique or sui generis? without precedent? i'm not. aphex is known for being idiosyncratic, and for carving his own oddball-eccentric niche in electronic music - often imitated poorly, never achieved as well. nowhere am i saying he went back 50 years and cuntstabbed brian eno's mother so he would get there first. nowhere am i saying that there wasn't plenty of pretentious prog-rock / krautrock inspired rubbish floating around using ethereal synthesizers and far-out imagery. but aphex definitely made it something his own: in his own way, he completely defines the 'experimental' and more forward-looking side of that rave/90's zeitgeist. you had the late 80's and acid house, major field raves... and then you had aphex twin, taking the predominant acid-house and techno sounds and making them warped, alien, something completely different. he deconstructed so many of the tropes of the rave generation and mashed them all together into a complete headfuck, particular to himself. may be subtle if you are completely averse to that broad category of music, but for any insider-fan or person with a single iota of interest in electronic, it's very evident that aphex is 'something else'.

and again, a person with your tastes calling aphex twin 'derivative' is hilarious. derivative implies a level of insult or criticism that is just not fairly aimed at aphex twin, of all people. of pretty much all electronic producers in the last 25 years, he has carved the most singular, i-don't-give-a-fuck niche. it makes zero sense to impugn him as being unoriginal or some sort of 'copycat'. and to dismiss his ambient works because they are not virtuosic displays of solo-riffing intensity, or incredibly complex polyrhythmic arse-spasms.... is to hilariously miss the point. it's AMBIENT music. evoking that much with 3 simple notes is, frankly, astounding.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-15 07:59:04)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6543
If I don't like it then it MUST be shit.

This my jam.

This would maybe be ok if it had more souljuh.

https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
it would be okay if it wasn't so plainly derivative.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

talking of richard d. tuss

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
boring. derivative of acid music from the early 90's. why would you even listen to that.
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5717|Gulf Coast

I hate the sound of electronic hi hats so much.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
no way. 808/909 hit-hats are sex.

if i had £3k spare

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-16 12:58:13)

jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

I like thing with 8bit game sounds ... was listening to this over and over again flying through Philadelphia recently ...

Roc18
`
+655|5788|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
R.I.P good contemporary R&B
Roc18
`
+655|5788|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

>optimizing shaders please wait
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5962|London, England

I thought i was opening the what are you wearing thread and I was to make fun of roc by cracking some racial jokes
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
> criticizes aphex twin for being derivative
> listens to shakira, britney, gaga
> no self-awareness about this fact
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

> criticizes aphex twin for being derivative
> listens to shakira, britney, gaga
> no self-awareness about this fact
Karmas me with "Look, just stop now before you expose more of your ignorance" when I commented about pastel boat shoes when joking about Jay, right after he called Aphex derivative.

The irony is strong with this one.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-02-19 02:30:45)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
> Wild and outlandish claims about Shakira and her music being the greatest and most unique and influential in the history of music, never to be imitated or surpassed - 0
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
> Wild and outlandish claims about Aphex Twin and his music being the greatest and most unique and influential in the history of music, never to be imitated or surpassed - 0
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

arguably one of the best electronic songs ever created....aphex twin's selected ambient works albums are widely considered - by critics and fans alike - to be hallmark electronic albums....the entire critical, musicological, and cultural community agrees on something's particular merit....he is pretty much the point of reference for two entire generations of electronic artists....he is a unique voice....everything he does is singular and impossible to imitate

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-19 02:50:22)

Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Two generations of electronic music =/= the greatest and most influential musician in the history of music

Are you high?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard