Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

_j5689_ wrote:

Anybody agree or disagree with this guy and his points?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsxdk1V … MN2lILMNpg
He's an idiot.

Honestly he comes across as someone who spent five minutes looking up random gun facts on the internet and then splurged them in a brain-dump so he could get his beard on youtube.

So .40s wear out quicker than 9mms, who'd have thought the same gun firing a heavier bullet would wear out quicker and have more recoil? Astounding.

Guns wear out after thousands and thousans of rounds, rounds, so what. The life of a magnum revolver shooting full-power (~1500fps) loads used to be ~500 rounds, not that you can buy that kind of ammo any more.

If you want a low velocity cartridge loaded to blackpowder pressures go ahead and buy a .45.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6360

Dilbert_X wrote:

go ahead and buy a .45
OK!
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5949|Blue Mountain State

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

go ahead and buy a .45
OK!
My fav!!!
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

go ahead and buy a .45
OK!
Check.

The lower velocity doesn't seem to be a problem in most .45ACP applications.  Bullet drop doesn't factor into my handgun shooting very often (ok, a little at 100yds, but I usually go after a 12in x 12in target for that range)
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Well, if his point is that all practical semi-automatic handguns cartridges are inherently weak, compared to nearly any centerfire rifle cartridge, then I guess I agree with him.  I suppose it comes down to personal preference and comfort/ability.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

_j5689_ wrote:

Anybody agree or disagree with this guy and his points?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsxdk1V … MN2lILMNpg
lol same dude is threatening to start killing people if they try to regulate his guns
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v … ktm4Dp0Wjw
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
James Yeager or someone else?

My respect for Yeager is somewhere above my respect for Stalin...although Stalin did manage a superpower, so I might be wrong...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Glock 17 9mm pistols replace Browning for UK forces

British forces are to be given a new standard issue handgun for the first time in more than 40 years.

The Ministry of Defence has signed a
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Glock 17 9mm pistols replace Browning for UK forces

British forces are to be given a new standard issue handgun for the first time in more than 40 years.

The Ministry of Defence has signed a GBP9m contract to provide the Armed Forces with more than 25,000 new side-arms and holsters from Austria's Glock.

It will replace the Browning 9mm pistol which has been in service since 1967.

The Glock 17 9mm pistol is lighter than the Browning and can be fired faster, within a second or so.

Colonel Peter Warden, from the MoD team introducing the new weapon, says that after well over four decades in service, the pistol from US manufacturer Browning was no longer the ideal weapon and had become increasingly expensive to maintain.

"We began to lose a little bit of confidence in its reliability. So we trialled seven different weapons, and got down to the Glock as the best of the bunch," he says.

After a tendering process which lasted just two years from start to finish, the MoD is buying the side-arms to issue to all three services.

Among the first people to get the new Glock over the coming weeks will be troops serving in Afghanistan, where the enemy can sometimes attack at very close range.
https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65218000/gif/_65218012_pistol464x598.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20978842

Thats a shame, I liked my Browning far more than any Glock, and I'd pick a single action with a safety catch over a craptastic Glock trigger any day of the week for speed and accuracy (and safety.....).
But they do take a bit of skill, maintenance and don't last forever, oh well.

(Its also a reminder of how cheaply the Army are equipped, compared with the Navy or AF)

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-01-11 02:11:32)

Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5970|Vortex Ring State
it weighs less and carries more rounds, seems to make sense practically.
rdx-fx
+955|6562

Trotskygrad wrote:

it weighs less and carries more rounds, seems to make sense practically.
Until you factor in that the Browning is
  • thinner,
  • better balanced for accurate rapid fire,
  • slide weight is properly engineered for momentum balance (slide vs frame mass, slide vs spring vs ammo energy & momentum calculation),
  • much more repeatable natural point of aim (upsidedown, hurt, offhanded, dark - doesn't matter. Grab a HighPower and it'll be pointed in the right direction)
  • can be outfitted with extra-cap magazines (15+ rounds), though British religious preference is "10 rounds. Any more and you do pushups"
  • can be disassembled & reassembled while blindfolded (or in the dark), in the field, with only a hat to store the small parts. Glock fucks up, send it to the armorer - too many small fine parts to field service.

Only real weaknesses are the lack of double-action capability, and the insane magazine disconnect (won't fire with the magazine out - a relic of the 1935 French military spec).

The first is trivial to solve, from a design perspective.
Three metal parts, a couple roll pins, and a spring or two, on the left side of the slide, mirroring where the trigger mechanism is at on the right of the slide.

The second is a couple minutes with a pin punch, to remove the stupid magazine disconnect rollpin, plunger, and spring.
Dramatically improves the trigger feel of the HP too.
(May not be a legally advisable modification, depending on your location)

From a design perspective, the Browning HP is a beautifully elegant piece of engineering.
If you are an engineer, reverse engineer one sometime.
Pay particular attention to momentum through the firing cycle, mass balances, and leverage.

J.M. Browning and D.Saive were mechanical design engineering artists.

(Then reverse engineer the momentum & mass balances of the original M-16, particularly the gas system operation forces being exactly in line with the bore axis and center of mass)

Last edited by rdx-fx (2013-01-11 11:38:56)

rdx-fx
+955|6562

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thats a shame, I liked my Browning far more than any Glock, and I'd pick a single action with a safety catch over a craptastic Glock trigger any day of the week for speed and accuracy (and safety.....).
I will never get rid of my Browning HP.

Glocks are great... if you know fuckall about mechanical design, fire about 100 rounds a year, and spend all your time with your pistol as an unused weight in a holster.
In other words, if you're a cop, uneducated civilian, or military officer.

Bet the SAS, Mossad, and other units aren't switching to Glocks anytime soon...

Last edited by rdx-fx (2013-01-11 09:45:09)

rdx-fx
+955|6562
...and, while I'm on a design rant...

When HK was redesigning the L86, why the hell didn't they unfuck the trigger design?! 
Long-ass bullpup's reach from the trigger to the actual trigger mechanism, could've put in a nice, long, Anschutz-style lever arm trigger.

You have about 9" of length to cover;
A reliable and precise match-grade long lever arm trigger (ala Anschutz)
or
the bastard love-child of a drunken three-way between an antique M-60 machine gun, FN-FAL, and MP-5.
They go with the cludgey, clankey, machine-gun derivative...

(Yes, I'm still irritated that the Glock is replacing the HP. 
Like having Linsey Lohan star in a remake of an Audrey Hepburn film.)

Last edited by rdx-fx (2013-01-11 09:49:48)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

rdx-fx wrote:

But they will be carrying >5 rugers.
rdx-fx
+955|6562

rdx-fx wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But they will be carrying >5 rugers.
Trolling the wrong person.

I'm not the one with the blinding hatred for Ruger.
That's Xtra-Meds

They're shit, garbage redneck brand, WalMart discount weapons.
Put a Tasco scope on it, wrap it in newspaper, and give it to your favorite redneck.
Past that, they don't deserve a second thought.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

P95 9mm was the last Ruger I liked. Didn't jam, easy to disassemble/clean and reassemble, accurate at respectable distances (for a  pistol). Haven't shot it in ages, though.

Maybe I'll purchase four more to complete the ensemble someday.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5970|Vortex Ring State

rdx-fx wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Glocks are great... if you know fuckall about mechanical design, fire about 100 rounds a year, and spend all your time with your pistol as an unused weight in a holster.

what about sigs? also used by uk afaik, though they might melt them down soon.
rdx-fx
+955|6562

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

P95 9mm was the last Ruger I liked. Didn't jam, easy to disassemble/clean and reassemble, accurate at respectable distances (for a  pistol). Haven't shot it in ages, though.

Oh, damn..

I'm below 5 firearms now. Guess I have to turn in my ManCard™ and US passport.

Sold a few lately. 
Haven't seen anything worth replacing them with.

Down to a FN Winchester 70, FN Browning HP MkIII, piston AR/M4, and AR/300BLK

Last edited by rdx-fx (2013-01-11 11:37:51)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Trotskygrad wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

what about sigs? also used by uk afaik, though they might melt them down soon.
They were using Sigs if I remember, some officers at least. UKSF definitely does, but they also use Diemaco C8s instead of L85s. Armed response carry Glocks. Other police units, like the MOD bobbies, use MP7s instead of a rifle or sidearm.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2013-01-11 12:34:18)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

rdx-fx wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Oh, damn..

I'm below 5 firearms now. Guess I have to turn in my ManCard™ and US passport.

Sold a few lately. 
Haven't seen anything worth replacing them with.

Down to a FN Winchester 70, FN Browning HP MkIII, piston AR/M4, and AR/300BLK
You could grab one of the lolsy Taurus 410/.45 revolvers.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Does anyone own a FN FNX and if so, how is it? I am considering to save money to get one.

Also, what are advantages and disadvantages of .45 ACP and .40 S&W? I am deciding between the two calibers.

Last edited by War Man (2013-01-11 21:18:40)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
For what purpose?

Scaring possums or shooting down black helicopters?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Shooting down possums AND scaring black helicopters.
rdx-fx
+955|6562
40 S&W is for people who can't decide between 9mm and .45

9mm works fine, is cheaper to shoot than .45.

.45 puts bigger holes in things, costs more than 9mm to shoot.

For self defense - either will work fine with center mass hits, neither will work if you miss.
Both work on possums, neither work on black helicopters...

Last edited by rdx-fx (2013-01-12 05:35:41)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

Dilbert_X wrote:

For what purpose?

Scaring possums or shooting down black helicopters?
Owning for the sake of owning. Maybe shoot it a few times and have it for home defense.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard