Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
Guess what I was wondering is if the game is epic enough that someone who hasn't played the previous titles should play it instead of trading for another game.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

I havent played it long enough to know for sure, but it looks like it stands on its own well enough. There seem to be some references to the earlier games, but they dont appear to have an effect on this game.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

Guess what I was wondering is if the game is epic enough that someone who hasn't played the previous titles should play it instead of trading for another game.
Absolutely not!  All of Bethesda's games are standalone.

edit- I meant you should absolutely not trade it in

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-12-30 17:34:21)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
+1 to all those who responded
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Stingray24 wrote:

You can fill yourself in on the wikis if you get curious. Knowledge of the previous games isn't necessary.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
There's some pretty deep lore to get into.  I think I played the first 100 hours of Oblivion without giving a fuck about the backstory, but over time you will naturally become curious.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Pretty much like with me and Dawn of War. Didn't give much of a fuck about 40k before I finished them through Soulstorm.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

You can fill yourself in on the wikis if you get curious. Knowledge of the previous games isn't necessary.
It sure makes a difference when you know what has happened though and been through some of it, I've been playing since Morrowind and my brother has been playing since Arena.

It still blows my mind that Vvardenfell(the entire island setting of Morrowind) got fucked by the volcano but I guess it's inevitable when you live on an island made from one and supposedly there were about 206 years inbetween the events of Morrowind and Skyrim so that's plenty of time for it to go off
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Stingray24 wrote:

This game came free with 360 purchase over the holidays.  Have not played any elder scrolls titles yet.  Keep or sell?  I'd kinda rather get another racing game like Forza Horizon.
it's boring and tedious as all fuck. Trade it in for something worth while.

Yes it's perfectly ok to play without playing the previous titles, but who knows why you would want to.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

DrunkFace wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

This game came free with 360 purchase over the holidays.  Have not played any elder scrolls titles yet.  Keep or sell?  I'd kinda rather get another racing game like Forza Horizon.
it's boring and tedious as all fuck. Trade it in for something worth while.

Yes it's perfectly ok to play without playing the previous titles, but who knows why you would want to.
You probably played it for under 10 hours or something.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Oblivion sucked, but I enjoyed skyrim.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

_j5689_ wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

It sure makes a difference when you know what has happened though and been through some of it, I've been playing since Morrowind and my brother has been playing since Arena.

It still blows my mind that Vvardenfell(the entire island setting of Morrowind) got fucked by the volcano but I guess it's inevitable when you live on an island made from one and supposedly there were about 206 years inbetween the events of Morrowind and Skyrim so that's plenty of time for it to go off
There's a lot of treats for people familiar with the world's story thus far. It's not necessary, but it's a neat bit of brain candy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/gxAqMBb.jpg

Does that helmet make this guy look like a big pussy to anyone else?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
don't pretend you've ever seen a pussy unnewb
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Adams_BJ wrote:

That's funny, to me its the exact opposite.

I think Skyrim is a great game, the engine is really what's most impressive about it.  But I don't think the quests are as good as Oblivion.  I also miss doing speech challenges. 

What I dislike the most is the region.  Oblivion had the urban area in Imperial City, plains, forests, a mediterranean region, swamplands, as well as the snowy mountains you see in Skyrim.  I liked the variety.  Skyrim is just a little too monotonous for my tastes-- they even said during development that the different elevations allowed them to get away with making a smaller game region.  Yes, it's fun and its beautiful, but there are only so many variations of mountains I can take before getting sick of it.  I really liked Chorrol and Cheydinhall from Oblivion.

They've already done a desert with Fallout but I'm hoping they'll do one with the Arabians.  It'd be an interesting take on the fantasy genre.  Swords, magic, and Arabs.  I'd dig it.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-01-28 11:00:39)

El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5690|Gulf Coast

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Does that helmet make this guy look like a big pussy to anyone else?
Looks like they just made a slight tweak to the Falmer Helmets.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

I think Skyrim is a great game, the engine is really what's most impressive about it.  But I don't think the quests are as good as Oblivion.  I also miss doing speech challenges. 

What I dislike the most is the region.  Oblivion had the urban area in Imperial City, plains, forests, a mediterranean region, swamplands, as well as the snowy mountains you see in Skyrim.  I liked the variety.  Skyrim is just a little too monotonous for my tastes-- they even said during development that the different elevations allowed them to get away with making a smaller game region.  Yes, it's fun and its beautiful, but there are only so many variations of mountains I can take before getting sick of it.  I really liked Chorrol and Cheydinhall from Oblivion.

They've already done a desert with Fallout but I'm hoping they'll do one with the Arabians.  It'd be an interesting take on the fantasy genre.  Swords, magic, and Arabs.  I'd dig it.
Thats my opinion exactly
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't miss the speech challenges at all, since Oblivion sort of suffered from the "you really have no idea what a dialog option really is" that Alpha Protocol did. Also, the characters looked like they were trying to stab you with their eyes regardless of their opinion of you.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
just bought skyrimming, hearthfire and dawnguard from steam (£23ish for the lot). tempted to put the £20 down on dragonborn but i'll see if that goes down on steam over the next few months.

decided in a bout of 1st-world guilt i should probably actually pay for the game :3
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
I got it for Christmas

haven't installed it yet
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Finray wrote:

I got it for Christmas

haven't installed it yet
because you can't figure it out on windows 8?
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6545|London

Spearhead wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

The planes of oblivion ruined Oblivion for me. They were so, so bad.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

and thats why morrowind is da bes
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/n4VgnLu.jpg
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
Catherine Black

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard