Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
well i think age, personally, because that's more important structurally but yeah
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
Why is race important? It doesn't tell you anything besides skin color.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
This is gonna sound pretty progressive, but I figure it's because it used to be important. People of other races were systematically disadvantaged in the past.

And there's more to it I'm sure. For instance, black people are apparently at a higher risk for hypertension than other races. The Census knows where there are high concentrations of blacks in the US. They can then give that info to the AdCouncil which then puts up informative advertisements targeting blacks about hypertension. Real word example actually, as I saw a lot of ads like that on the Metro here, especially on the line that goes through predominantly black areas.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-12-14 16:36:21)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

because it's strongly correlated with other socioeconomic markers, like income and education. it's about getting targeted policy outcomes, directing it at where it will be most needed.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5964|London, England

and how will they know where to play ads for blackpeoplemeet.com?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

because it's strongly correlated with other socioeconomic markers, like income and education. it's about getting targeted policy outcomes, directing it at where it will be most needed.
Jay doesn't believe in government. There is nothing that they can do about anything to him.

That is going to be his response. You know it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

I just don't see skin color as a real factor. Targeted help, fine, but why is skin color important unless you're making biased assessments from the data? Oh, this neighborhood is black, they must need extra help because the stereotypes tell me so. I see socioeconomic class, not race. Race is meaningless.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

Jay wrote:

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

I just don't see skin color as a real factor. Targeted help, fine, but why is skin color important unless you're making biased assessments from the data? Oh, this neighborhood is black, they must need extra help because the stereotypes tell me so. I see socioeconomic class, not race. Race is meaningless.
but it is a factor
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
If you're a racist, sure.
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5913|...

Race isn't the ONLY thing it collects. The combination of black and middle class or black and poor can be relevant information.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Its not about skin colour, its about culture - which tends to have some correlation with race.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

It's statistical correlation. If you see that as racist, well, that's your problem. It's important socioeconomic data.

This is fairly basic stuff.

Last edited by Spark (2012-12-14 22:59:19)

~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

Spark wrote:

It's statistical correlation. If you see that as racist, well, that's your problem. It's important socioeconomic data.

This is fairly basic stuff.
You've never really thought about it, have you? Just accepted it because it was normal...
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
Er, there's nothing to think about. There is sometimes a strong correlation between income, education etc. and race. These things happen for a reason, but if you don't even know that the correlation exists, then how can you come up with a solution to fix it?

This is bizarre.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Think the only person here who agrees with Jay, is Jay.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4194|Oklahoma

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Its not about skin colour, its about culture - which tends to have some correlation with race.
So it's black people culture to sell drugs and kill each other?  Nelson Mandela disagrees.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4194|Oklahoma

AussieReaper wrote:

Think the only person here who agrees with Jay, is Jay.
I agree with Jay more times than not and almost always when debating you and Dilbert.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida
Is this what DST has turned into?  Three threads on gun violence and school shootings?  Ughh.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-12-16 14:09:59)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

make a thread then
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Spearhead wrote:

Is this what DST has turned into?  Three threads on gun violence and school shootings?  Ughh.
we've exhausted muslims and abortions. i think everybody here supports gay marriage and ending the drug war. economics gets boring. DAST is pretty much the current events forum now. there's the occasional non-issue (like Macbeth's thread about public breastfeeding) but on the whole, this forum has descended into a never-ending argument of left vs right. I don't know why we keep acting like anybody's opinions on here will ever be changed.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-12-17 09:40:05)

rdx-fx
+955|6590

Extra Medium wrote:

So it's black people culture to sell drugs and kill each other?  Nelson Mandela disagrees.
It's US ghetto thug culture to glorify drugs, violence, and criminal behavior.

If you look like you come from that culture, you'll often get stereotyped and assumed to be like that.

If that's what the world expects of you, and that's what's around you, that's often what you become.

Takes patience and effort to overcome that expectation.
Takes a fucking miracle for a smart kid to get an education in an inner city school, without getting the shit beat out of him/her by the wannabe thugs and junior gangbangers.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4194|Oklahoma

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

everybody here supports gay marriage
I don't.  I think it's fucking disgusting.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Extra Medium wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Homophobia is often a sign of latent homosexual feelings within that person.

Something you want to share with us?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6754
Just to add something to the race/stereotype issue:

From 18:40 to 31:10 but I recommend watching the whole thing because I think its interesting.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Extra Medium wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

whatever dude, your breed's literally dying in the US so it doesn't really matter.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard