dondon26
Banned
+1|4310
@Jaekus and Adams, I'd recommend you guys hop on a good novice strength program (if you're not already on one) and eat at a caloric surplus for 6 months to a year until until you have respectable mass and strength to build on.

I was in the same position as you guys about a year ago until I did a slightly modified version of Starting Strength for a tad over 6 months (program can be run longer depending on the person) and then switched to a hypertrophy based push/pull/legs routine.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6809|BC, Canada
listen to drooz guys, he knows his shit.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5329|Sydney
Why does he keep trying?
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

That's good. My chest has definitely increased in size (has to when I had trouble benching 50kg past 4 reps and now bench 70kg for 6) and my back muscles have thickened quite a bit (along with increases in arm size) but this gut fat I've had for years now just needs to go. Still have a size 32 waist, same as when I was a skinny 16 year old at 67kg, but I currently weigh 83kg XD
You're mixing units of measure.
Well my jeans are size 32 so I'm going with that. Everything else is metric
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
I know it's far from amazing but for me a PB of 8x 100kg deads, feeling good about it. It was basically a rest/pause set, but on a cut I'll take whatever I can get
dondon26
Banned
+1|4310

Jaekus wrote:

I know it's far from amazing but for me a PB of 8x 100kg deads, feeling good about it. It was basically a rest/pause set, but on a cut I'll take whatever I can get
No one's trying to be a dick. I'm offering advice because you're obviously a novice lifter who would benefit from following a proven program made to get stronger because guess what? Strength =  bigger muscles and is the most important thing for building a good foundation.

I'm not sure why lifters get their egos hurt so easily and have to be so stubborn when someone is trying to help.

If you wanna have a PB deadlift of what most people use for warm-up sets like it's nothing and be 160 lbs "with da abz lol" who will probably never bench over 250 in their life, then go ahead.

Or you can just listen to advice.
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Maybe it's Androoz' broter. Dunno, I'm currently quite drunk.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6773|Little Bentcock
This thread has gone down hill. Who knew that how much you could lift was everything?
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Progressive overload.
dondon26
Banned
+1|4310
Did some lower body today despite feeling pretty shitty (got fairly drunk last night, sure fire way to fuck up your "gainzzz", but I keep it to twice a month, max)

Worked my way up to a working set of 375x5 on deads. Felt really good to be pulling today since I haven't done them or any variants of em in 3 weeks.

And 3x10 leg press (usually do front squats), along with 3x15 seated calf raises and 3x15 weighted sit-ups.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6150|...

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

It's all about the V taper. Mine is currently between a V and a U
I have a V shape. It's inverted, but it's still a V.

On a serious note, I think building up the shoulders does as much or more for the V shape as building out the back. Both are important, but well-developed shoulders definitely make a bigger aesthetic difference.

I'm not really doing this for aesthetics, but it's a good side effect.
rock climbing + rugby + lifting = body of a god
inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam
I'm going to be moving to Utrecht in the near future and I'm already looking for a gym (can't really fit my squat rack and bench in a student's dorm). So far it's all shite. It seems all gyms are aiming for the (middle-aged) women and casual yoga crowd. They're all like shiny new clubs with their useless workshops to 'tone' your body for the summer or  'keep you healthy and fresh in 15 min!'.
Smoothie bars, CityJam, Body-Jam, Poweryoga, Bodysculpting, Turkish baths, I don't even know what most of the things are, yet I will be paying for it whilst only using their (most likely) mediocre weight-room.

Shocking, I believe you've got some experience with this city. Any recommendations?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6462

Not a fan of poweryoga Kampf?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6256|eXtreme to the maX
Had a pretty good swim.

Alright it was more of a bob TBH but I think its important to get chlorinated water into my skin folds every now and then.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
There's a gym here at the hotel (currently in Melbourne). Not sure if any good and I'd have to look like a douche and workout in my jeans
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

bugz wrote:

I just love how it relaxes my mind, but also works my core. I truly believe that doing this once a week will help me get over all the drama in my life and give me that oh so desired six-pack for when beach season comes around.
Currently on a cleanse-program, similar to a soul-program but with less focus on volume.
I do:
3x10 hymns
3x12 back bends (2 extra reps to feel the burn and really clear the mind)
3x10 poor-form-sit-ups (gotta get those abs right!?)

As soon as I hit a plateau on drama-clearing I might start a course of CityJam or Zumba as it seems much more energetic and really tones your backside.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

Jaekus wrote:

There's a gym here at the hotel (currently in Melbourne). Not sure if any good and I'd have to look like a douche and workout in my jeans
Hotel gyms are always shit
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4346|Oklahoma

Kampframmer wrote:

bugz wrote:

I just love how it relaxes my mind, but also works my core. I truly believe that doing this once a week will help me get over all the drama in my life and give me that oh so desired six-pack for when beach season comes around.
Currently on a cleanse-program, similar to a soul-program but with less focus on volume.
I do:
3x10 hymns
3x12 back bends (2 extra reps to feel the burn and really clear the mind)
3x10 poor-form-sit-ups (gotta get those abs right!?)

As soon as I hit a plateau on drama-clearing I might start a course of CityJam or Zumba as it seems much more energetic and really tones your backside.
Me and like 6 guys I work with are laughing our asses off.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6150|...

Kampframmer wrote:

I'm going to be moving to Utrecht in the near future and I'm already looking for a gym (can't really fit my squat rack and bench in a student's dorm). So far it's all shite. It seems all gyms are aiming for the (middle-aged) women and casual yoga crowd. They're all like shiny new clubs with their useless workshops to 'tone' your body for the summer or  'keep you healthy and fresh in 15 min!'.
Smoothie bars, CityJam, Body-Jam, Poweryoga, Bodysculpting, Turkish baths, I don't even know what most of the things are, yet I will be paying for it whilst only using their (most likely) mediocre weight-room.

Shocking, I believe you've got some experience with this city. Any recommendations?
All-inn in de vlampijpstraat used to be an oldschool bodybuilding gym. It's supposed to be pretty good, should have all you need. Apart from that there's olympos for students which is sort of decent if you're there at times when there's nobody else (for squat rack use etc), like early in the morning. I train there these days.

Besides this most of it is shite yeah. Haven't really found anything that's really good so far (I've been gym-hopping for much of the last year or so). There's a gold's gym in nieuwegein tho, but it takes a while to get there. I also heard of a new gym opening somewhere around the IBB that's attracting some attention. No idea what it looks like and if it's any good tho.

Many of the gyms you're talking about also complain if you make too much noise dropping weights on the floor. good luck deadlifting heavy without making noise.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-12-16 12:43:37)

inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

All-inn in de vlampijpstraat used to be an oldschool bodybuilding gym. It's supposed to be pretty good, should have all you need. Apart from that there's olympos for students which is sort of decent if you're there at times when there's nobody else (for squat rack use etc), like early in the morning. I train there these days.

Besides this most of it is shite yeah. Haven't really found anything that's really good so far (I've been gym-hopping for much of the last year or so). There's a gold's gym in nieuwegein tho, but it takes a while to get there. I also heard of a new gym opening somewhere around the IBB that's attracting some attention. No idea what it looks like and if it's any good tho.

Many of the gyms you're talking about also complain if you make too much noise dropping weights on the floor. good luck deadlifting heavy without making noise.
All-inn is quite close to the dorm I might move into so if it does turn out to be a decent gym that would probably be the way to go. There's also Train More, which recently opened right on Drift. I'm going to walk inside one of these days to have look, considering they're quite cheap and it being a brand new gym is a nice little bonus.
olympos is still quite pricey from what i understand, even if you are a student. It's also quite far away from the dorm and I do work out at those peak gym hours.

Thanks for the advice
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6150|...

Kampframmer wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

All-inn is quite close to the dorm I might move into so if it does turn out to be a decent gym that would probably be the way to go. There's also Train More, which recently opened right on Drift. I'm going to walk inside one of these days to have look, considering they're quite cheap and it being a brand new gym is a nice little bonus.
olympos is still quite pricey from what i understand, even if you are a student. It's also quite far away from the dorm and I do work out at those peak gym hours.

Thanks for the advice
Ya they tell you it's really cheap if you come often but after training for free once they'll say they 'forgot' to mention that the first 3 months (or more) you pay 43 euros a month after which you pay like 8-15 euros/mo. Wasn't enthusiastic about the weight room either.

Olympos is 15 eur/mo if you got a year subscription. I live about 5 mins from it by bike so avoiding peak hours is np.

Oh I'm just seeing this question now:

kampf wrote:

I'm starting uni again for the first time in a year and a half.
Haven't a clue on what's good to bring with me for lunch. I've got my own homemade protein bars, so i guess i'll take one of those with me. But what are my options in terms of actual food? It has to be easy to prepare and i need to be able to keep it in my bag. Naturally it shouldn't require any kind of heating or cooling.

Shocking, I believe you're atteding (or attended) the university of Utrecht. What can you tell me about it that might help me with this? Is it possible to heat up food there or maybe some info on what's good in the cafeteria?
cafeteria is shit. and expensive. I don't really bring lunch because I have only like 4 lectures a week 2 hrs each spread out on different days, so I just eat at home and I'll be back before I get hungry again.

If you have to bring lunch though I guess tuna / peanut butter sandwiches are the way to go. If you got time between lectures there's the 'broodje ben' stand on the oudegracht which is pretty good. It's about 10 mins walk from the drift. Or you could go to one of mario's stands.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-12-17 03:25:24)

inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4993|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Thanks for the advice
Ya they tell you it's really cheap if you come often but after training for free once they'll say they 'forgot' to mention that the first 3 months (or more) you pay 43 euros a month after which you pay like 8-15 euros/mo. Wasn't enthusiastic about the weight room either.

Olympos is 15 eur/mo if you got a year subscription. I live about 5 mins from it by bike so avoiding peak hours is np.

Oh I'm just seeing this question now:

kampf wrote:

I'm starting uni again for the first time in a year and a half.
Haven't a clue on what's good to bring with me for lunch. I've got my own homemade protein bars, so i guess i'll take one of those with me. But what are my options in terms of actual food? It has to be easy to prepare and i need to be able to keep it in my bag. Naturally it shouldn't require any kind of heating or cooling.

Shocking, I believe you're atteding (or attended) the university of Utrecht. What can you tell me about it that might help me with this? Is it possible to heat up food there or maybe some info on what's good in the cafeteria?
cafeteria is shit. and expensive. I don't really bring lunch because I have only like 4 lectures a week 2 hrs each spread out on different days, so I just eat at home and I'll be back before I get hungry again.

If you have to bring lunch though I guess tuna / peanut butter sandwiches are the way to go. If you got time between lectures there's the 'broodje ben' stand on the oudegracht which is pretty good. It's about 10 mins walk from the drift. Or you could go to one of mario's stands.
15 eur/mo seems fair, but it's still on the other side of town. If i can't find anything decent near by for a similar price I will just have to bite the bullet and accept the 30+ min bike ride (normally 30min isn't all that much, but considering Utrecht's size and the fact that gyms can often be found a lot closer it seems excessive)

I pretty much solved the lunch problem. I only have like 12h of class a week max so I rarely have to bring food. When i do though, i bring a protein bar and wholewheat bread with pb.
I had a quick glance in the cafeteria and the wraps seemed decent, but very small, a decent lunch would take like 3 of those.

So far, uni has yet to limit my gains.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6150|...
All-inn is supposedly good (from what I hear) and relatively cheap. Dumbbells go to like 60kg there. If it's closeby you should go there. Olympos is only alright if you avoid peak hours and live close to it like I do (then again this is Utrecht so at the absolute peak i.e. 18.00-20.30 it's going to be busy everywhere). There's only 1 bench and 1 squat rack so if you're unlucky you'll have to wait another 30-45 mins till you can use 'em, even outside peak hours sometimes.

I get there before 9 AM most of the time so that I got the room to myself.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-12-17 06:58:54)

inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6150|...
oh and there's this douchebag who regularly does his rows in the squat rack for like an hour
inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5329|Sydney
Haven't worked out in a week and thought I may have lost strength but I managed 6x 115kg deadlifts, which admittedly have extended pauses towards the final few reps. Still, it's the most I've lifted for reps.

My left shoulder is quite sore so no pushing movements for another week. Instead, today we did this routine called "Bulletproof Shoulders", to help strengthen the stabiliser and mobiliser muscles (including rotator cuff muscles) and to help me get this rolling forward of my shoulders that I have had for years (bad posture is a bitch).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard