Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6256|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

I use a pre-workout, aminos (pre and post workout), protein blend (post workout), and casein at night. I get around 250-300g of protein each day, between diet and supplementation. I try to keep my fat and carbs about 50% lower than the RDV.
Casein - isn't that glue?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5328|Sydney
No.
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

I've recently moved to four days a week lifting, two days dedicated to cardio, with 20 min of cardio after each weight session as well.

Example:
Mon - Chest, shoulders, arms
Tue - Legs, back, abs
Wed - Run 45-60 min
Thu - Chest, shoulders, arms
Fri - Legs, back, abs
Sat - Run 45-60 min
Sun - rest or light swim

I do three exercises per muscle group, 12-10-8-6, with the occasional drop set, depending how I feel. Each week, I start at the next weight for each set. For example, if I did 12x180, 10x200, 8x220, 6x240 one week, I'll do 12x200, 10x220, 8x240, 6x260 the next week.

Chest exercises: bench press, incline press, decline press, flyes. I alternate two of the first three. I always finish with flyes.
Shoulders: rear delt on flye machine, military press, lateral raises, upright row. I always do rear delts, due to my shoulder surgery a year ago.
Biceps: standing barbell curls, reverse cable curls, hanging hammer curls, preacher curls. I always do reverse curls, then two of the other four.
Triceps: overhead extensions, dips (either sitting or hanging), triceps press, close-grip bench press. Again, three of the four; I always try to do dips as my last exercise of the day, as they engage every muscle group I've already hit.

Legs: leg press, squat, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises. I do all four...except when I pull a muscle in my inner quad, then I stay away from the press and squats (like now).
Back: pull ups, lat pull downs, hi row, mid row, low row. One of the first two, two of the last three. Also normally work traps separately this day (shrugs).
Abs: ab machine going middle, right, left to failure; leg lifts; medicine ball sit ups...basically just kill the abs.

I do high intensity interval training at least two days a week (usually upper body days). On leg days, I usually do the stationary bike at 80% max hr. I go as heavy as I can on all lifts. If I can't get all the reps in with good form, I drop ~20 lbs and finish the set.

Because I go as heavy as I can, I don't have a specific weight that I go with. I spend 1:20-1:30 lifting, then 20 min of cardio...around a 2 hour routine, all told. I rest less than a minute between sets, and less than three minutes between exercises.

I use a pre-workout, aminos (pre and post workout), protein blend (post workout), and casein at night. I get around 250-300g of protein each day, between diet and supplementation. I try to keep my fat and carbs about 50% lower than the RDV.

I've been following this routine for about three months. I'm lifting far more now than I did when I was competing in weightlifting in high school (a very long time ago).
That's a big routine. I'm finding the journey now the most consistent I've been (six months straight and have only missed two workouts to being unwell) and I guess I had expectations I would be more muscular than I am now. My girlfriend says my arms are definitely bigger and my PT has also noticed my chest and especially back have grown. Of course there's the strength increases as a measuring stick.

I guess I just need to soldier on and have more patience
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

No.
Yeah it is

https://www.aviation-history.com/dehavilland/mosquit5.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein#Glue
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
He's not eating glue, he's eating casein protein. You could have even read it in that wiki article you decided to link instead of trolling.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
An attractive property of the casein molecule is its ability to form a gel or clot in the stomach
Its glue.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6561|'Murka

I sniff it to make workouts more interesting.

Or drink a shake made of it before bed.

One of the two.

Jaek: It could be a body-type/genetic thing, but I doubt it. I know I wasn't seeing much in the way of gains until I started lifting a lot heavier. That seems to have ignited things like lifting lighter w/higher reps (supposedly for definition--which never happened) never did.

Just a thought--you might want to try going a bit heavier. I know my muscles are exhausted by the time I leave the gym.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
I have been lifting heavy for me. When I started this back in April (after five weeks off and lost all my strength) I couldn't get more than 3x 50kg, now I can do 8x 60kg and have done 6x 65kg, so improvements are definitely being made. Perhaps my routine needs a shake up or I need to move onto a split rather than full body workouts.

My training method is similar to Dorian Yates' HIT. A couple warmup sets then one heavy set to failure, ideally 6-8 reps (but more if I can manage it, bump up the weight next workout or go an extra heavier set and try to get to six). Obviously I can't do this with squats, nor bench press when I'm training alone. Sometimes after a compound I'll then go on a machine and do an isolation for the same muscle group (eg. bench press -> machine/cable flyes) and push that to failure. Every once in a while I'll chuck in a couple drop sets to really push it. I do go to failure with my PT on every workout and do feel exhausted by the end.

My PT has been away for a few weeks in Europe but he gets back in a couple days. I'll have a chat to him and work out a long term weekly/fortnightly routine I can do by myself. Maybe I've had a few higher expectations, idk really.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6773|Little Bentcock
My PT said a lot of people lack of gains comes from them grouping muscles groups together in their workouts. Say chest, shoulder, back, arms, legs. He said instead of grouping them by location, group the lift type together, since they target all the same muscles and you can adequately rest them. EG group pushing, and then group pulling, and legs etc.
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
Yeah that's a good point. Though ususally I've been doing it in the order of: chest (push), back (pull) legs, shoulders. Lately I've gone from shoulders to chest or vise versa so maybe that's affected my lifts.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-10-07 02:45:36)

Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
Second and final session with the temp PT today as my regular PT gets back tomorrow.

Let me just say that I am really not fit at all, which I found out the hard way during a crossfit session with this guy. Ended up having a spit in the bathroom
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

That just means you worked out hard enough.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
I was all lightheaded and spaced out for about 15 minutes.
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney

"I gotta bust ma nuts

I gotta have ma food

and I gotta have ma barbells"
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

I was all lightheaded and spaced out for about 15 minutes.

FEOS wrote:

That just means you worked out hard enough.
― Albert Einstein

Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
Yeah I guess, though if I spew every time I work out I'll lose my enthusiasm pretty quickly.

I need to shed some body fat as it needs to be reduced. I've been reading up on intermittent fasting and am going to give it a try, along with some cardio. Anyone done intermittent fasting before?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6821|UK
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6773|Little Bentcock
Throwing up after a workout is bad as you lose all the nurients that you need to repair and strengthen your muscles. infact if you spew halfway through the workout, just go home. youre just wasting your time finishing it.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6462

I've been slacking the last few weeks...haven't been keeping a regular gym schedule and my diet's gone to shit. Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, a plate of whatever loaded with mostly carbs for dinner.
FEOS
+1,182|6561|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah I guess, though if I spew every time I work out I'll lose my enthusiasm pretty quickly.

I need to shed some body fat as it needs to be reduced. I've been reading up on intermittent fasting and am going to give it a try, along with some cardio. Anyone done intermittent fasting before?
Wasn't completely serious.

You should be so wasted by the time you finish that you're a little shaky and queasy, IMO. Throwing up in the middle--not good.
― Albert Einstein

Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
Yeah I had to stop early and sit of the floor in the bathroom for about ten minutes whilst I sweated my arse off and felt light headed and dizzy. A bit like drinking one drink to many and having to spew
Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
Trialling intermittent fasting. Basically you have an eight hour window of any given 24 hour period that you consume all the calories you intend to consume. You decide the window and just stick to it. Once you finish eating you don't eat again for 16 hours.

I've cut down to ~2,000 cals and eat say between 12:00 - 20:00.Today is the third day and I've already lost a kilo or maybe more (current weight is 86.0kg).

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-10-10 17:54:55)

Jaekus
+957|5328|Sydney
Intermittent fasting has been going well. Lost some weight but feel better despite the reduced calories. During the fast I just drink a lot of water and green tea.

Today I tried RPT (reverse pyramid training). The concept is that you're strongest on your first working set so you should do your heaviest weight then as it will give you a higher intensity workout (preceded by a good warm up of course). It's also recommended that RPT is done on only the big compounds, so squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press. On your top set (heaviest weight) you try for failure - which isn't true failure, unless you have a spotter -just the rep you get to where you can't use perfect form. Rest and reduce the weight by 10% and then try to beat your previous reps by 1-2 with that weight. You can continue this pattern for 3-4 working sets total. Rest a minute or so between the warm up sets and rest as long as you need on the working sets for you to feel ready to go again, so typically 2-4 minutes, depending on fitness and the exercise.

My warm up for deadlifts looked liked this:

8x 60kg
6x 80kg
4x 90kg

Then after a few minutes rest where I felt my energy levels back up I did my two working sets (you can do three but I'm on a cut, so two is advised for such a big exercise)

8x 100kg
10x 90kg

I then rested for about 10 minutes (because I was waiting for the bench press to become available) and then warmed up with:

10x empty bar
8x 40kg
6x 50kg
4x 60kg

Then bench press working sets:

6x 65kg
7x 60kg
8x 55kg

I then rested and moved onto the assisted pull up machine (I can't do enough unassisted pull ups yet ) and did your more traditional pyramid workout as the advice I've read was to not do RPT for this exercise.

Next time the idea is to increase boths sets on my deadlifts and try for 6 and 8 reps respectively, and on the bench press to aim for an increase of one rep each set. My next workout will probably be squats, bench press and overhead press.

More info at http://www.leangains.com
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4992|Amsterdam
I really don't see how intermittent fasting is a good thing. I can see how it might work, but it just seems so uncomfortable. Then again, I'm the type of perosn that can't eat a whole lot in one sitting and eats a lot of smaller meals, so I don't think I would be able to survive any kind of fasting.
You pyramid in an odd way. Your warm-ups are the type of pyramiding i know and then you only do 2 working sets where you do the reverse of whats usually done. Quite odd.
I really only pyramid my deadlifts without a warm-up because with the dl i only cxare about getting a as high possible 1RM, rather than focus on longer sets for volume. All my lifts are 3x10 (If i would pyramid it would be 12-10-8) and my dl is 5-3-1.

I miss creatine. I'm doing an essay on it atm and now I'm doing a bit more research on it (actually reading published papers) the risks seem so much smaller and the reward so much greater. Although I think it would still make me paranoid about hair-loss, but man, did that stuff help with my lifts.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4992|Amsterdam
reading it back, that post makes almost 0 sense

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard