Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

FatherTed wrote:

galaxy ace (2.5kmins, inf texts+data) on a £20 contract a few days ago. about to grab a bigger SD card, then think about putting together a new PC
Can I help you choose a pc?!?!
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Camm wrote:

So I should just spend the money on something like a Samsung 830 256GB and use the 120GB as a straight boot drive?
Use the 256 as the boot drive.  Dump the 120.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Ilocano wrote:

Camm wrote:

So I should just spend the money on something like a Samsung 830 256GB and use the 120GB as a straight boot drive?
What's the point in that?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Camm wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Camm wrote:

Avoiding the storage headaches of a 128GB SSD boot drive in your future.  You can't just image an SSD with 100% certainty, despite tools that try to do it for you.  Keep the 120 as a secondary if you like, but get as big a boot drive as you can afford.

I've got a 256 SSD on my primary gaming rig, and I'm already down to half the storage, with less than a dozen of my Steam games installed.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Ilocano wrote:

Camm wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Avoiding the storage headaches of a 128GB SSD boot drive in your future.  You can't just image an SSD with 100% certainty, despite tools that try to do it for you.  Keep the 120 as a secondary if you like, but get as big a boot drive as you can afford.

I've got a 256 SSD on my primary gaming rig, and I'm already down to half the storage, with less than a dozen of my Steam games installed.
I would just do a fresh windows install, no imaging at all.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

sup bros, been a while since i last worked with hardware. to put that into perspective, what i remember last is the intel C2D e8400 being a monster. i was wondering what the current e8400 was, meaning - what is the go-to cpu right now, for bang/buck? also what is the go-to chipset for motherboards?

thanks mang
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Brasso wrote:

sup bros, been a while since i last worked with hardware. to put that into perspective, what i remember last is the intel C2D e8400 being a monster. i was wondering what the current e8400 was, meaning - what is the go-to cpu right now, for bang/buck? also what is the go-to chipset for motherboards?

thanks mang
i5 3570k and a Z77 motherboard.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Brasso wrote:

thanks mang
depends what you plan to do, how much you want to spend.

my current build is an i7-3820 with 16gb ram. i built it to manipulate image files. i have only used half my memory slots.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6384|Finland

Bang for buck wise, Z77 and 3570K like Camm said. Don't bother with X79 unless you are doing some serious work with it or edit your media files a lot.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
sandy will also do fine, if cheaper
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Brasso
+1,549|6600

thanks guyz
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Beduin wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't bother with sandy bridge now. Ivy runs colder, uses less electricity, and sandy is a dead socket now.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6118|'straya

Camm wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't bother with sandy bridge now. Ivy runs colder, uses less electricity, and sandy is a dead socket now.
Well if you can get an i5 2500k for significantly cheaper than a i5 3570k and run it in a Z77 motherboard then it's still a good option.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6384|Finland

Camm wrote:

Beduin wrote:

TBH, Ivy is on the same 'dead' socket as well. Only current socket getting new CPU's is LGA2011. And Ivy actually runs hotter, much hotter than SB, if you overclock it.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-08-16 02:31:12)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Camm wrote:

Beduin wrote:

TBH, Ivy is on the same 'dead' socket as well. Only current socket getting new CPU's is LGA2011. And Ivy actually runs hotter, much hotter than SB, if you overclock it.
IF you overclock it...
Brasso
+1,549|6600

why would ivy bridge run hotter than sandy bridge? sorry for the question, but shouldn't it run cooler with a smaller chip size and TDP?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Brasso wrote:

why would ivy bridge run hotter than sandy bridge? sorry for the question, but shouldn't it run cooler with a smaller chip size and TDP?
Runs hotter when overclocked
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Camm wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

galaxy ace (2.5kmins, inf texts+data) on a £20 contract a few days ago. about to grab a bigger SD card, then think about putting together a new PC
Can I help you choose a pc?!?!
it won't be just yet. ill either buy little bits every month, or skim off money from paychecks from now-xmas and do it in one go then. might do the little bits so i have a reason to actually get around to replacing this pc
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6384|Finland

Brasso wrote:

Intel cheaped out on the thermal paste between die and HS (SB die is soldered to HS) + 22nm chips leak like hell with extra voltage + smaller die -> harder to move the heat off it to the cooler.

At stock Ivy may run cooler, but when you oc both SB and IB, IB temps go very high very fast.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-08-16 08:35:50)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Urgh, just spent 45 minutes trying to fix whatever was stopping me remoting into my LAN server. I didn't change what objects the server was looking for to add my PC to the allowed users... Go on tech supporters, laugh at me.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
I'm pretty good at building desktops. I need a new laptop now though for various reasons. I know what hardware is and isn't good but I have no clue which brands are good. I got a Sony Vaio and this thing is pretty cheaply built. The important thing to me is a really good keyboard and sturdy but good stylish look.

Gotta be from Frys
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Is this a good one?
Not too bad. Decent processor.
Benzin
+576|5968

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Is this a good one?
A friend of mine has a laptop from the Z-series. They're not bad, but they're largely made of plastic that looks like metal. AMD's mobile processors have also never been anything to write home about. If you're buying a laptop, buy an Intel. That's my two cents.

As far as brands go, Lenovo and Sony are both great brands but you need to be punching in the upper classes if you want anything good. Put it to you like this, Apple's laptops may cost a lot and not fulfill your needs perfectly, but the build quality is among the best. If you want great build quality in a laptop, you're going to be paying close to a grand. You can get good quality for less, obviously, but if you want a laptop that will put up with a lot of shit, spend the extra dough.

Thinkpads are the toughest laptops on the market, bar none. Nothing beats them. But if you don't require a robust laptop then don't buy one. When it comes to laptops, though, think about not only what you need NOW but what you will need in the next two-three years. A Thinkpad or Apple notebook (or anything in this price class, generally) will last you a long time and the build quality will make itself known through the fact that you'll likely never need to use the warranty.

I'm a fan of make the right purchase once rather than the stupid purchase twice or the stupid and the right one. Saves you a lot more money in the long run.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I already made the stupid purchase with this one. So my next one needs to be smart. I was expecting this laptop to last longer but it's been two years and it's already falling apart, literally.

I could spend some extra money. That Lenovo laptop said it was metal as opposed to plastic. It says under details: "Stylish design in premium brushed gray metal" I don't like the way Frys has that produce presented though. I want to know the model and brand of all the components. I also agree that Intel is better than AMD and I've always also preferred NVIDIA to ATI.

It needs to be sturdy. I won't be throwing it around like a frisbee but it needs to be able to take a fall or two. It should be easy to clean the fan, keyboard, and screen.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard