13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6494

I ain't your scout. And we sure ain't no damn militia.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I would also like to add in that the U.S. has about 76 people per square mile. Australia has like 6 or 7.

Population density is also a factor to look into.

edit: Corrected numbers for U.S.
this post is a joke, right? australia is one of the most urbanised countries on the planet, it's just that most of it is literally empty.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California

Spark wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I would also like to add in that the U.S. has about 76 people per square mile. Australia has like 6 or 7.

Population density is also a factor to look into.

edit: Corrected numbers for U.S.
this post is a joke, right? australia is one of the most urbanised countries on the planet, it's just that most of it is literally empty.
The U.S. has huge amount of literally empty space too.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
i don't think you quite understand

you could literally remove 70% of australia's land surface and absolutely nothing of note would happen. ffs have you seen the middle of this country on a map?

we have a gigantic plain whose name translates to "no trees". one of the most apt names ever, right behind its almost-neighbour, the "great sandy desert"

Last edited by Spark (2012-07-27 01:40:11)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
i once heard that, geopolitically, australia is less a "country" in the usual sense and more like a bunch of federated city-states. it really is that concentrated in its major cities.
~ Richard Feynman
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California
I'm well aware of Australia's geographic features, Spark. The U.S. still has denser urban areas than Australia so I don't see where you're going with this. We have a higher population and more urban areas. It's not rocket science figuring out why the rates are higher.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone
I don't think you realise there are single people (or families) that own areas of land bigger then most American states or European countries.

Yes America does have some cities with higher density then any Australian city and yes, overall America has a higher density, but Australia has a larger proportion of its residents living in high density urban areas. And using density as the 'this is why' answer falls flat bang on it's arse from which it sprung as soon as you start looking at places like England, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Luxembourg, Italy, Monaco, Israel, Romania, Greece, Albania, Iran, Turkey, Syria, Yemen, Bulgaria, Japan, Vietnam, Singapore, Korea, Malaysia, Cambodia, Kenya, Nigeria, Cameroon, Morocco, Egypt, Guinea, Bangladesh, Nepal, India and China just to name a few countries with higher Population density and lower murder rates then the United States of America.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2012-07-27 06:08:47)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

DrunkFace wrote:

I don't think you realise there are single people (or families) that own areas of land bigger then most American states or European countries.

Yes America does have some cities with higher density then any Australian city and yes, overall America has a higher density, but Australia has a larger proportion of its residents living in high density urban areas. And using density as the 'this is why' answer falls flat bang on it's arse from which it sprung as soon as you start looking at places like England, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Luxembourg, Italy, Monaco, Israel, Romania, Greece, Albania, Iran, Turkey, Syria, Yemen, Bulgaria, Japan, Vietnam, Singapore, Korea, Malaysia, Cambodia, Kenya, Nigeria, Cameroon, Morocco, Egypt, Guinea, Bangladesh, Nepal, India and China just to name a few countries with higher Population density and lower murder rates then the United States of America.
You are the only person that cares about this.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Just knocking down the idea that high population density -> High murder rates.

Hong Kong would be number 1 if that were true.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Dilbert_X wrote:

Just knocking down the idea that high population density -> High murder rates.

Hong Kong would be number 1 if that were true.
triads mothersucker

well shifty, lets put it this way, around 16 million aussies out of 23 mil live in the 5 major capital cities. yeah not urbanized at all.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5961|London, England

i dont think shifty was saying australia isnt urbanized
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
i dont either
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.

jord wrote:

I think I'm going perth next year.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom

jord wrote:

jord wrote:

I think I'm going perth next year.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom

Spark wrote:

i once heard that, geopolitically, australia is less a "country" in the usual sense and more like a bunch of federated city-states. it really is that concentrated in its major cities.
a confederation?
Tu Stultus Es
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

"what do you 'feel' about this article?"
Roc18
`
+655|5787|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
He was quoted as telling his employer, "I am a joker, I'm going to load my guns and blow everybody up," police said

lol what an idiot
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6565|Mountains of NC

" guns don't kill people ..... I kill people "
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5698|College Park, MD
aw yeah PG County cleanin' up
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Roc18
`
+655|5787|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
This is what he looks like

https://media.heavy.com/media/2012/07/Neil-Prescott.jpeg
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6565|Mountains of NC

I'd be more worried about a rampage on a buffet
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
HITNRUNXX
+220|6706|Oklahoma City
Except once again I repeat, I NEVER said "this is why" I only said "this is a contributing factor that also needs to be looked at." Contributing factors include a lot of things. Economy. Population. Population Density. Gun laws. Enforcement of laws. etc.

You can't compare one country and another country without acknowledging the comparison is not starting out on even ground. There are MANY contributing factors.

But way to grab something out of context and run with it as a "THIS IS WHY" and an "EXCUSE."

Ignorance.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith's store.

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith's employee Dorothy Espinoza says, "He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people."

Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. "There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms."

Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom
what would you have done if they had killed your people
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard