Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6340|Stealth on Grand Bazaar
There have been alot of youtube videos of late describing ways to improve your reactions as a player. One of them is moving your HUD closer to the bottom centre of your screen so that it's in your 'focal view'. I BF2 you could adjust kill messages/crosshair colour/HUD opacity etc. You could also change your ping latency settings to improve in game response. All these things were useful in their own way.

After listening to people's reasoning about why the map being closer to the centre of your screen increases your reactions I think it's bs. Your focal point is your screen and peripheral vision covers left and right corners - seeing out of the corners of your eyes so to speak. Moving your map a couple of inches to the middle will make only a superficial difference. a placebo effect so to speak. There are alot of good things coming out of the BF3 youtube community, but this is spinning absolute crap to gullible idiots. What have people found customizing their HUD settings/graphics settings etc...? Have they improved your reactions?

Last edited by Collateralis (2012-06-29 12:47:03)

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
Reminds me of the people decreasing the size of their crosshairs in CS:S years ago, thinking they would be better shooting at distance targets.
(In reality, everything was decided by who threw the hand grenades first anyway. )
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

Collateralis wrote:

a placebo effect so to speak.
Probably.

Then again if it helps it helps right?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
I'd like the minimap up top like BF2
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

Collateralis wrote:

You could also change your ping latency settings to improve in game response.

[...]

a placebo effect so to speak.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

usersettings.con was 100% placebo when edited clientside in bf2. Those commands were all serverside commands. The only useful clientside tweaks were localization edits and sound.con.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2012-07-02 21:33:50)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
I don't like the HUD in Battlefield 3. I'm playing on my xbox right now and I was aiming at an enemy but the flag icons, dead friendly icons, friendly squad leader icons, and other miscellaneous bullshit icons were cluttering my view so much I couldn't see a guy 30m in front of me. Pissing me off, I want to disable all icons but flags and remove name tags but keep chevrons.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

BF3 hud is bad. Every time i spawn i make the map big so I can actually see it. If it was up the top right, I wouldn't have to as what is infront of me stays in my vision as I check he map. If i look down at the small minimap, I can not see what is infront of me.

Furthermore, if I maximize the map after centering the hud, it goes over my crosshair.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

I had a glitch where the HUD completely disappeared. No gunsite, no minimap. Was hc so no ammo counter either. All I had was the gun barrel. If I wanted to aim I had to scope.

It was great and I paused to take in how great the gfxs really were. You lose a lot of immersion with a HUD, esp bf3s.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

you can force no hud, no crosshair, and no minimap server side, so perhaps not a glitch.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

AussieReaper wrote:

I had a glitch where the HUD completely disappeared. No gunsite, no minimap. Was hc so no ammo counter either. All I had was the gun barrel. If I wanted to aim I had to scope.

It was great and I paused to take in how great the gfxs really were. You lose a lot of immersion with a HUD, esp bf3s.
Isnt that just hardcore mode?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

pirana6 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Isnt that just hardcore mode?
Have you even played bf3 on hardcore?

Take a look bottom right.

Squad list and minimap. If you remove those, it would be truly hardcore.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5450
All I want is to be able to:
-move the mini map to another corner, like the upper right corner
-adjust the color of the crosshair
-trade the blue mini map for a full colored one
-turn off and or move kill messages
-move objective marker to another point that is no almost dead center of screen
-skip kill cams in all modes

Last edited by Evil_Black_Fox (2012-07-04 19:44:10)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
Yeah the kill cam really pisses me off. I liked BF2 and 2142 because you'd be strolling along and suddenly your head exploded from a sniper and you knew nothing about his location. Every game should be that way. Killcams are game-breaking since their ruin the element of surprise or concealment.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Yeah the kill cam really pisses me off. I liked BF2 and 2142 because you'd be strolling along and suddenly your head exploded from a sniper and you knew nothing about his location. Every game should be that way. Killcams are game-breaking since their ruin the element of surprise or concealment.

But seriously, killcams are really unnecessary.
Those sniper buffoons are always sitting in the same spot anyway. Ever.
The red directional blood/hit indicator is good enough to locate the sniper in most cases.

And yes, killcams also take away from the immersion.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5874|CA
I hate the fact that you can't skip them - I'm forced to stare at my killer for the next 2-3 seconds.  I wish I could skip it, or at least press a key to instantly take me to class customization right from the killcam.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
Disabling the killcam should be a client-side option.
Although, EA loses precious advertising space for Premium.

IMO, anything that doesn't give you an advantage should be possible to be disabled client-side.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard