13rin
+977|6449
Lest I fail searched, I really didn't see any threads lately about headsets.

For the most part I'd rather play sans a headset using speakers, but the missus I think is tired of hearing me and friends that I'm chatting with at odd hours of the morning.

I had a higher end Sennheiser and it worked ok, but I believe I have killed it and I wasn't very happy with the flimsy mic boom.  So I decided to try to do a bit more research before plunking down some coin on one.

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, but that fucker the way I want it weighs in at close to $500.  I was also looking at the Astro's and Psyko lines...  Turtle beach looked kinda meh' to me, but I really don't know.  Corsair looked OK as well as the Steelseries.... gah.

Oh, and if anyone knows,  I tried to find out the difference between leather/faux-leather/felt like earcups and which would be more comfortable/cooler to use.  I remember the Sennheisers getting hot as hell on my noggin.  Suggestions?

I welcome any suggestions (for headsets and maybe even a possible sound card upgrade).  I've currently got a creative labs sound card or something or other that will push 5.1.  Does anyone use one of those 'mix amp' thing in conjunction with yer' headset?  What do you guys recommend/use?

Thanks.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Get a standard desk mic + headphones. The overall quality is much better.

I use Sennheiser HD 555s and this microphone.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
13rin
+977|6449
Yea.. I had thought about that.  I currently have a desktop mic that seems to work fine...

So, generally speaking (heh), a decent pair of headphones will tend to be better than higher-end gaming headsets as a mic is factored into the price?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

definitely. it's not that the mic would make it much more expensive; the mics in gaming headsets aren't especially high-end; it's the 'gaming' brand they use to milk teenagers. a decent quality pair of headphones will definitely be of better quality than a higher end headset.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
my fatality headset is high end

no rly tho it's great
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6545|London

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

my fatality headset is high end

no rly tho it's great
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
Also went with the HD555's plus a Zalman clip on mic, a similar setup is a great option tbh. I've used mate's Logitech G35s and Razer Megalodons a fair bit, and while they are decent for gaming, the quality for music and even movies simply isn't there compared to a nice set of headphones. The Megalodon's couldn't even put out a strong sound in music, possibly due to the 7.1 trickery which doesn't seem to work properly.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2012-06-15 16:08:36)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

can't go wrong with the steelseries siberia V2. damn thing is super comfy, mic is pretty quality, and their support is awesome.

long story about their support: my mic stopped working after i kept them in a backpack for a long trip (i didn't tell them that obviously), i sent the headphones back, they sent a different model back (the black USB ones instead of my analog black and golds), i said i wanted the black and golds, they said it was technically a $10 upgrade and that they were out of stock of the B&Gs, i said i really wanted the B&Gs, they said i could keep the USB pair and ask for a pair of B&Gs in mid-June (i am waiting on a ticket response right now actually), and i could keep both.

tl;dr - SS support gave me two headphones to replace a pair of headphones that broke because they were mistreated: free $120 achieved
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

I got this one recently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6826104281 . Sounds good, big cups (albeit they are not fabric), plug it in good to go.

I enjoy the headset a lot. I have a set of sennheiser entry level studio headphones also, which sounded great. But I can't stand ghetto crap hanging around the desk and i like the communication to be clear. The sound in the new headset is just fine, in some ways like picking out distinctive sounds, better than sennheiser's. THe sennheiser  are definitely basier.
Tdog2007
Giggity Giggity
+25|6683|US

Finray wrote:

Get a standard desk mic + headphones. The overall quality is much better.

I use Sennheiser HD 555s and this microphone.
Have the same mic, but using the 'HD 280 pro'. I like them.

jsnipy wrote:

I got this one recently http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6826104281 . Sounds good, big cups (albeit they are not fabric), plug it in good to go.

I enjoy the headset a lot. I have a set of sennheiser entry level studio headphones also, which sounded great. But I can't stand ghetto crap hanging around the desk and i like the communication to be clear. The sound in the new headset is just fine, in some ways like picking out distinctive sounds, better than sennheiser's. THe sennheiser  are definitely basier.
https://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/26-104-281-TS?$S300W$ those look ilke they have a mouse attached to one side.  can you control the curser with them?

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-06-16 13:15:30)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

Brasso wrote:

can't go wrong with the steelseries siberia V2. damn thing is super comfy, mic is pretty quality, and their support is awesome.

long story about their support: my mic stopped working after i kept them in a backpack for a long trip (i didn't tell them that obviously), i sent the headphones back, they sent a different model back (the black USB ones instead of my analog black and golds), i said i wanted the black and golds, they said it was technically a $10 upgrade and that they were out of stock of the B&Gs, i said i really wanted the B&Gs, they said i could keep the USB pair and ask for a pair of B&Gs in mid-June (i am waiting on a ticket response right now actually), and i could keep both.

tl;dr - SS support gave me two headphones to replace a pair of headphones that broke because they were mistreated: free $120 achieved
https://www.3ona51.com/images/products/steelseries/siberiav2_gold/600.jpg
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5874|CA

Brasso wrote:

I can vouch for this - I dropped mine only a week or two after I bought them which somehow fucked up the bass in them, Steelseries shipped out a new, factory sealed pair to me as a replacement.  Can't argue with that.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Bought these earlier this year. Very good stuff.

CREATIVE SB RECON3D OMEGA WIRELESS

https://www.madboxpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Recon3D_Omega_Wireless.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard