Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
why was the .25 deducted? the whole previous page seems to be infected with an 'insane score' bug.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-19 03:52:42)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Willow - 12/10. Improved from 11/10 on my third repeat today.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/t9ybD.png
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Blade Runner - Final Cut: 8.5/10 after watching it for the probably 20+th time.

0.5 point deductions for:
- Midget replicants
- Cheesy sax in one scene
- Lack of Sean Youngs boobage in said scene

Not really the just the titties-part to be honest. The original cut was over 3 hours long, I think, but Scott and the rest had to cut it down as Warner had a hard-on for two hour max movies at that time, and had the right to cut everything that exceeded that.

+ for leaving out the "riding into the sunset"-scene.
+ for leaving out the "I'll explain everything to you tools"-Rick Deckard voice-over.
I need around tree fiddy.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

DonFck wrote:

- Midget replicants

Not really the just the titties-part to be honest. The original cut was over 3 hours long, I think, but Scott and the rest had to cut it down as Warner had a hard-on for two hour max movies at that time, and had the right to cut everything that exceeded that.

+ for leaving out the "I'll explain everything to you tools"-Rick Deckard voice-over.
ffs don, just watch the directors cut.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

AussieReaper wrote:

DonFck wrote:

- Midget replicants

What does the directors cut have that the final cut hasn't?

Wait, I'll just check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Edit:

"Scott chose not to reintegrate a number of scenes that had been cut from all versions of the film, such as an extended version of the love scene between Deckard and Rachael, and a scene in which Deckard visits Holden in the hospital (where Holden is, prophetically, shown reading an e-book). These scenes were included as part of a lengthy Deleted Scenes bonus feature in the 5-disc box set."

"All the violent scenes in the International Cut that were deleted in the US theatrical release and in the Director's Cut—including Tyrell's death, the confrontation between Deckard and Pris, and the nail through Batty's bleeding hand—are restored to the Final Cut."

And many, many, many more things. /Commandant Lassard.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

DonFck wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

DonFck wrote:

- Midget replicants

Edit:

"Scott chose not to reintegrate a number of scenes that had been cut from all versions of the film, such as an extended version of the love scene between Deckard and Rachael, and a scene in which Deckard visits Holden in the hospital (where Holden is, prophetically, shown reading an e-book). These scenes were included as part of a lengthy Deleted Scenes bonus feature in the 5-disc box set."

"All the violent scenes in the International Cut that were deleted in the US theatrical release and in the Director's Cut—including Tyrell's death, the confrontation between Deckard and Pris, and the nail through Batty's bleeding hand—are restored to the Final Cut."

No you've confused Internation Cut with the Directors Cut. And the Hospital Visit/Love scene isn't in any cut.

Watch the directors cut.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

AussieReaper wrote:

DonFck wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Edit:

No you've confused Internation Cut with the Directors Cut. And the Hospital Visit/Love scene isn't in any cut.

Watch the directors cut.
I know that the hospital scene and love scenes aren't in any cuts, parts of the footage was included in the documentary though.

Watch the Final Cut.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

DonFck wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Edit:

Watch the directors cut.
I know that the hospital scene and love scenes aren't in any cuts, parts of the footage was included in the documentary though.

Watch the Final Cut.
I own that final cut box set that includes all the cuts. :p
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Willow - 10/10

Not seen it yet, so I'm keeping one point back until I have.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6710
God Bless America 4/10
baggs
+732|6174

Uzique wrote:

why was the .25 deducted?
I think giving a straight 10/10 is a knee jerk and is a score thats not been given enough time for the film to have a profound effect on you. Drive is one of the very few films thats kept ticking over in mind for days after the viewing. I could have quite easily rated Inception a 10/10 when i got back from the cinema from seeing because i was buzzing from the viewing but given time to digest what i had seen and experienced i would now rate the film in the 7.5-8.5/10 range.

You also liked Drive very much if i remember?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i liked it a lot but it was a far cry from a 9.75. jesus christ. it's a good movie but it's actually one of those films that seems worse in retrospect, not better. it's impressively done but i'm not sure what i really dig about it other than the stylization. it's just tarantino with a better music taste.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City

Uzique wrote:

i liked it a lot but it was a far cry from a 9.75. jesus christ. it's a good movie but it's actually one of those films that seems worse in retrospect, not better. it's impressively done but i'm not sure what i really dig about it other than the stylization. it's just tarantino with a better music taste.
I think that is an insult to Tarantino... And I don't like Tarantino.

When the sound of a movie is best thing it has going for it, unless you are blind, I think that says something. Blah.
baggs
+732|6174

Uzique wrote:

I have no idea where you are going with 'it's just a Tarantino'. Nothing like a Tarantino, i think you're rambling... which for you, sadly, is just a bad habit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I hate brownies.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California

iceman785 wrote:

The Raid - 10/10. Quite possibly the best action movie ever. It is Indonesian so you will have to read subtitles the whole movie, but there isn't much talking.

Movie has really intense violence, definitely not for the faint of heart.
Where did you see it?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438

baggs wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I have no idea where you are going with 'it's just a Tarantino'. Nothing like a Tarantino, i think you're rambling... which for you, sadly, is just a bad habit.
Tarantino: None characters can shut the fuck up.
Drive: How many lines does Gosling have? Like 12?

It had elements of Tarantino but I wouldn't say that it was going for his style entirely. I felt a bit of Taxi Driver and even Fist Full of Dollars in there. Which yeah, those films were important to Tarantino and blah, blah blah.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

baggs wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lol? rambling is a bad habit? it's not a 9.75 movie. what is a 9.8 in your books then? stupid rating system to be honest.

and my point about it being tarantino-like is that it's heavily stylized, violence is depicted simply for the sake of grotesque violence (in film criticism they say that the violence is a referent only to itself; this is a supposed trademark of postmodern american film, pioneered by the likes of lynch, tarantino et al). the film has hardly anything in terms of the strange digressive and irreverent dialogue, sure, but i'm not sure that difference is actually to the film's advantage. there's a fine line between 'artful' silence and just plain muteness. goslings character rides that fine line between cryptic-protagonist and plain ridiculousness.

don't get me wrong, it's a good movie. i wouldn't say there are any 'bad' parts to drive. but 9.75? that's a near-perfect score for a film in a genre and style that has been done many times before (arguably better in the case of films like taxi driver).

so how am i rambling? please. what a stupid thing to say. go back to posting screenshots to yourself in the LoL thread you sad fuck.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
Reading the boards on IMDB shows that the "coolness" of Drive, quiet guy turned bad ass unselfishly seeking justice, accompanied with the funky soundtrack, blinds people from the fact that it's nothing special. Unique style compared to most mainstream movies these days, yes, a feel good factor, entertaining, but aside from that it doesn't offer much else. And I agree, Gosling and Mulligan didn't exactly have to bring their best acting to the table in this one, yet they are two of the best around.

Last edited by justice (2012-04-19 17:39:25)

I know fucking karate
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/34/Final_Fantasy_The_Spirits_Within_%282011_film%29_poster.jpg/220px-Final_Fantasy_The_Spirits_Within_%282011_film%29_poster.jpg
An under appreciated movie imo
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
Avengers: 9+/10

Simply put: It was everything I wanted it to be and I really enjoyed it much more than I thought it was going to be able to pull off.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
Warrior - 7.5/10

Enjoyed this more than The Fighter, full of Rocky style clichés, and truthfully a completely unrealistic plot. But emotive fight movies such as this can get away with those flaws, based on pure entertainment value alone it was excellent, and Nick Nolte was really damn good in this. It delivered.
I know fucking karate
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Avengers 6.5/10

Meh, baddy wasn't particularly bad, aliens had nothing original about them, it was all disappointingly predictable apart from Scarlett Johanssens ass which didn't seem to be fully under control at all, which was good.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6545|London
Avengers 9/10
21 Jump Street 7/10
The Intouchables 9/10
Fright Night 7/10

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard