HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
I have said several times that it is your country and your law. I would never dictate another countries laws. I only said that a law open to interpretation would make me wary. I have 15 years working in, for, and with law enforcement in one fashion or another. I have over 30 years of living with it. I can say there is a lot of crap in our legal system, and I wouldn't say it is better than yours in the slightest. I would, however, say that the laws put in place with this kind of open ended interpretation have often led to the most convoluted legal messes we have seen. It gets used and abused frequently. Any half cocked lawyer looking to get his number of wins up would jump all over these type of cases. The fact that you say it is just, then turn around and say it is ok for the media to prosecute people, and influence sentencing, also has me concerned. A just system would prosecute all criminals equally. Does ours? No. But I never claimed ours as just, now did I?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
I find it kinda funny how the whole free speech thing is such a pedestal to stand on and harp on about, yet there's the National Defense Authorization Act...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
its funny?
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I find it funny how people can't differentiate between laws passed that aren't supported by the people with laws that are.

Yes, it's funny to me. I laugh at people's stupidity.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

funny is an overly misused word...
specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

sure. some 21 year old american knows "what we are doing to ourselves" whilst an entire nation of people sleepwalks into an orwellian wetdream. right. listen to yourself for once you arrogant yank. this is the implication of your posting attitude. our legal system is fine; it is just. you guys are running with a case of high public interest and trying to start some huge debate on the free speech principle. we enjoy every benefit of free speech here that you guys do in america, only without the written constitution.
You are calling me arrogant?  The pot calling the kettle black hmmm?

This has jack shit to do with America vs Britain, and you are the only one making it seem like that.  I dislike our own system as much as I dislike yours, but in this particular case I think you guys are misguided.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-16 18:31:05)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
misguided for punishing a racist bigot. okie dokes. discussion closed then.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

misguided for punishing a racist bigot. okie dokes. discussion closed then.
Misguided for punishing speech.

I hate racist bigots as much as you do and I really don't like hearing them speak, but who is to decide their opinion is an illegal opinion.  I say nobody.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-16 18:40:46)

specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills
Also, while I don't think an orwellian situation is realistically going to happen in the near future, these types of laws definitely open the doors down such pathways.  I mean with these laws, cctv cams on every street corner, the government watching the internet, cell phone tracking etc.  It isn't that hard to at least imagine the possibility, something I would prefer to live without.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-16 19:18:02)

Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Hollywood has a lot to answer for ^
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Ilocano wrote:

funny is an overly misused word...
It is now...
specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills

Jaekus wrote:

Hollywood has a lot to answer for ^
Real life is stranger than fiction.  Shits possible, thats all I'm saying.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-16 20:02:34)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

What a shitty thread title. What the fuck was I thinking?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

I find it kinda funny how the whole free speech thing is such a pedestal to stand on and harp on about, yet there's the National Defense Authorization Act...
Free speech laws didn't do much to slow McCarthy or Hoover down.
LOL at these people holding onto this trivia as if it means anything, any more than the right to bear arms really means anything when you think about it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone
I find it funny someone got jailed for typing 'nigger dick'.

ohh fuck...
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
watch out thatll get you banned here
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

DrunkFace wrote:

ohh fuck...
a bit simplistic, isn't it? the term 'nigger dick' is just a bit of meaningless information/web data here. the point is the context and the intent to which it was used. you aren't jailed here for saying certain words - it's how you say them. saying "i'll kill you in a minute" to a friend who is annoying you is good fun. leaving an answer-phone message or private facebook message saying "i'm going to fucking kill you" to a person who is not expecting it is threatening behaviour. are you guys really so dumb that after 5 pages of this sort of slow, plodding enunciation of the point of hand... that you still don't get it? the word 'nigger' is not illegal here. if you shout it at a black guy in the street you will likely be given a strong police warning. if you say it to 10+ people on twitter whilst laughing at a public figure's on-pitch heart-attack, when everyone is clearly upset and emotions are running high... well then yeah, public outcry will demand you get more than the usual written warning or £50 fine. sorry, it was his choice to be an asshat and offend multiple people personally, directly, and tens of thousands of people more indirectly by posting his hate to a public arena.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

Uzique wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

ohh fuck...
a bit simplistic, isn't it? the term 'nigger dick' is just a bit of meaningless information/web data here. the point is the context and the intent to which it was used. you aren't jailed here for saying certain words - it's how you say them. saying "i'll kill you in a minute" to a friend who is annoying you is good fun. leaving an answer-phone message or private facebook message saying "i'm going to fucking kill you" to a person who is not expecting it is threatening behaviour. are you guys really so dumb that after 5 pages of this sort of slow, plodding enunciation of the point of hand... that you still don't get it? the word 'nigger' is not illegal here. if you shout it at a black guy in the street you will likely be given a strong police warning. if you say it to 10+ people on twitter whilst laughing at a public figure's on-pitch heart-attack, when everyone is clearly upset and emotions are running high... well then yeah, public outcry will demand you get more than the usual written warning or £50 fine. sorry, it was his choice to be an asshat and offend multiple people personally, directly, and tens of thousands of people more indirectly by posting his hate to a public arena.
i think his post was more about the irony of what he said and how the guy in jail may be meeting for than a few black dicks soon...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Free speech laws didn't do much to slow McCarthy or Hoover down.
LOL at these people holding onto this trivia as if it means anything, any more than the right to bear arms really means anything when you think about it.
Did you just learn about HUAC or something. It seems like you keep interjecting with, "b-b-b-but McCarthy!" Your time in DST can be summarized in once simple sentence - USA = hypocrites. Apparently I can't argue for free speech because some dumbass politician went on a witch hunt 50 years ago. Ask how present-day Americans look back at that time- most are ashamed.

If anything that episode bolsters the argument for a more relaxed free speech law- social/cultural attitudes were markedly different 50 years ago.
specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

ohh fuck...
Why do you take one asshat making stupid racist comments on twitter so seriously?  Just let him say what he's gonna say and let the public shame be the punishment, he will likely have a very hard time finding a job now, a pretty harsh repercussion if you ask me.  The government has no place in affairs like these.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-17 16:06:15)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
well that's good then because our judiciary dealt with his racist crimes, not the government.
specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

well that's good then because our judiciary dealt with his racist crimes, not the government.
Your government passed the laws that the judicial system used...  Don't play stupid.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
actually our legislative passed the laws that the judiciary implement. nothing to do with our government.

do you understand montesquieu's tripartite division of powers? because at the moment you are being stupid, not playing it.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-17 16:54:24)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT

Uzique wrote:

actually our legislative passed the laws that the judiciary implement. nothing to do with our government.

do you understand montesquieu's tripartite division of powers? because at the moment you are being stupid, not playing it.
Most Americans consider all three divisions part of the government.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
our judiciary are completely independent of parliament and their actions, i.e. the laws they deal with and the common law system that judges create and modify has nothing to do with political mandate. racism is a law of our land because the common sentiment and common law demands it. it is not outlawed because we had a politician at some point in our history who promoted a huge anti-racism agenda. he is trying to portray that this guy is locked up because of government over-control - that is simply not the case. he received justice. i'm willing to concede that he clearly got the short straw, here, and was sentenced with the harsher end of the sentencing tariff. however he broke the law and the government really had fuck-all to do with it. sorry, please try again. all this 'orwellian precedent' bullshit is just that: stupid bullshit. learn a little about our system and government before making 'omg free speech!' comments.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-17 17:03:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard