m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6660|UK
drama queen
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
BVC
+325|6684
I don't buy games which have blatant "pay money for weapons/advantage" aspects to them.  Its not very sporting.

BF2SF and BC2Specact were bad enough, but tolerable.  If I'd known that BF3 was going to have this then I simply wouldn't have bought it, and wouldn't have upgraded my PC in preparation for it.  Now they have, and it is WAY too late to ask for a refund.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6726|Oxferd Ohire
what was wrong with sf.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Pubic wrote:

I don't buy games which have blatant "pay money for weapons/advantage" aspects to them.  Its not very sporting.

BF2SF and BC2Specact were bad enough, but tolerable.  If I'd known that BF3 was going to have this then I simply wouldn't have bought it, and wouldn't have upgraded my PC in preparation for it.  Now they have, and it is WAY too late to ask for a refund.
i thought the unlocks didnt matter?  as per some posters above?  although they are full of crap because i have yet to see one person not use an unlock of some kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qevMYzS5L44
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/61100/dennis2.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6656

I don't mind this.  Just needs to be cheaper.   Has nothing to do with being a terrible player.  For the most part, unlocks are all about kill counts, so you could be shit or you could be pro.  It's just the amount of time you want to invest on getting the particular unlocks.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum

The D.E.N.N.I.S System wrote:

Pubic wrote:

i thought the unlocks didnt matter?  as per some posters above?  although they are full of crap because i have yet to see one person not use an unlock of some kind.

they don't matter because the stocks are good anyway. doesn't mean i'm not going to use unlocks, sure i am, stuff like the kh2002 is fun fun fun but i could kill the same people with an m16
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
if like the stocks needed 20 bullets to kill, and unlocks needed 10 then yes, you would be paying to win. all this is is people paying because they can't/won't invest time, and battlefield stopped being about rewarding effort a looooooong time ago

Last edited by FatherTed (2012-04-03 14:22:23)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
VicktorVauhn
+319|6381|Southern California
TBH all the medals, unlocks, levels, ect... are just there to sustain your attention. They are not usually proof of anything but hours.

The game is a FPS, not a ribbon collage scrap book. This shit ain't Pokemon and you are not here to collect them all, you are here to kill the other team.

At one point FPS were all about shooting in first person... You got guns to use on each other... Cool that it has expanded to ranking systems, stats, unlocks and progress...  But some people just want to play a fucking FPS.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5742|Roma

VicktorVauhn wrote:

TBH all the medals, unlocks, levels, ect... are just there to sustain your attention. They are not usually proof of anything but hours.

The game is a FPS, not a ribbon collage scrap book. This shit ain't Pokemon and you are not here to collect them all, you are here to kill the other team.

At one point FPS were all about shooting in first person... You got guns to use on each other... Cool that it has expanded to ranking systems, stats, unlocks and progress...  But some people just want to play a fucking FPS.
and who is stopping you?
I see loads of people having more than 200 stars with the m16, meaning they spent 99% of the time with that gun, and they are free to do it.
As I AM free to spend tedious hours trying to get the master service dog tags.
These shortcuts offer players who are not able to spend their time unlocking stuff and just give them the opportunity to use the weapons that they would not be able to use otherwise.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png

FatherTed wrote:

Pubic wrote:

they don't matter because the stocks are good anyway. doesn't mean i'm not going to use unlocks, sure i am, stuff like the kh2002 is fun fun fun but i could kill the same people with an m16
so why not just use iron sights, no perks, no vehicle perks, etc if there is no advantage?   this is not aimed at you but the people who say "unlocks dont matter" and "unlocks are only for bad players" are full of shit.  i would love to see one of them fly their jets and choppers without flares.  go for it.  do it.  prove it.  film it.  then you can speak.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/61100/dennis2.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
i agree with you on some of the vehicle stuff, although flares is the only one that was really dumb to be made an unlock (especially for jets) and now it's unlocked straight away for helis and jets.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6457

FatherTed wrote:

so why not just use iron sights, no perks, no vehicle perks, etc if there is no advantage?   this is not aimed at you but the people who say "unlocks dont matter" and "unlocks are only for bad players" are full of shit.  i would love to see one of them fly their jets and choppers without flares.  go for it.  do it.  prove it.  film it.  then you can speak.
Flares aren't an unlock no more, you can have other shit in place of them, but you don't need to unlock them.

But yeah, fuck trying to use a vehicle without unlocks.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6644

I'd say keep the Assignment weapons locked, but everything else is fair game. Even then, I really don't give a shit what other people use or how they got it.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6682
This game needs the ak-47. They've have been in every war since the 60s. What about the MP5? Is it too classic or something?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6457

Superior Mind wrote:

This game needs the ak-47. They've have been in every war since the 60s. What about the MP5? Is it too classic or something?
AK-47 went out of service in 1959, less than 10% of 7.62x39mm AKs were AK-47s, most were the superior AKM.

DICE should put the AKM in the game.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6313|Graz, Austria

RTHKI wrote:

what was wrong with sf.
Indeed, nothing was wrong with SF.
You could access the tier 2 unlocks by simply playing one round with your account on a machine that had it installed.
No need to buy at all.

I even did that a few times for random persons on the internet.
BVC
+325|6684

RTHKI wrote:

what was wrong with sf.
Generally speaking, nothing, it was quite fun.  Buying it did essentially double the number of unlocks which you had access to, hence there is a small element of "unlocks for cash" there.  BC2 specact gave you access to specact-skinned versions of the top-level unlocks, hence there was a bit of an unlock-for-cash thing there too.

I guess my issue isn't so much with the fact that there are unlocks which can be gained early by paying money to EA, its the sheer amount of stuff which can be gained for the price.  I take a somewhat sportsmanship-oriented view of online gaming, and feel that paying money for such a big advantage goes against that.

Its somewhat analagous to entering a car/horse/whatever race, and after you've been going for a while and all of a sudden the race authority says "effective immediately, all players can now give $30 to race officials, and gain an instant 20-lap bonus".

According to some posters in this thread they don't, but there are also people who still believe the earth is flat.  All other things being equal, the person with a choice of 30 different unlocks per kit will destroy the person with only standard weapons.

If they remade 1942 in the BF3 engine, then I might change my mind.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6313|Graz, Austria

Pubic wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

what was wrong with sf.
Buying it did essentially double the number of unlocks which you had access to, hence there is a small element of "unlocks for cash" there.
Read my previous post.
You didn't have to buy though.
Playing one round on a machine that had it installed was enough.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5025|Massachusetts, USA
There shouldn't be unlocks for vehicles.

Vehicles should have a standard kit setup.

Also there are way to many MANPADS, those shouldn't have been put in either.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
BVC
+325|6684

globefish23 wrote:

Read my previous post.
You didn't have to buy though.
Playing one round on a machine that had it installed was enough.
Oh I know it was possible, whether or not restricting that exploit was worth the time to EA is a matter of debate.  Regardless, said possibility doesn't actually disprove my 'element of money for unlocks' claim, it only proves there was a way to get access to the unlocks (in a perhaps unintended way) without paying.

Last edited by Pubic (2012-04-04 12:48:05)

BVC
+325|6684
You know, I'm actually starting to change my mind on this.  It does give latecomers a chance to not be so disadvantaged when coming up against people whove been playing from day one.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Pubic wrote:

You know, I'm actually starting to change my mind on this.  It does give latecomers a chance to not be so disadvantaged when coming up against people whove been playing from day one.
and its not that hard to get new unlocks either... most of the stock guns for classes are pretty good. vehicle unlocks are the only thing that gives a person any real disadvantage
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
BVC
+325|6684
Agreed on vehicle unlocks.  For inf, its the option of variety that really brings the advantage, and even though the basic guns are quite reasonable, the advantage given by being able to choose from 20 different main guns and 10 different sidearms is hard to ignore.  My favourite gun to use on the recon kit at the moment, for example, would be the P90 coupled with a G18 or .44
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6788|Long Beach, CA
I am impressed at how each gun has a different feel.  I am on a mission to unlock every weapon attachment and there is distinct differences in each gun that is for sure.
Ptfo
Evil_Black_Fox
+18|5470
Whats a phrase for going above and beyond 'selling out?'

^DD^GRiPS wrote:

I am impressed at how each gun has a different feel.  I am on a mission to unlock every weapon attachment and there is distinct differences in each gun that is for sure.
I think thats the only point in playing this game. Once I got all the unlocks for vehicles I stopped using them other than for transport.

UnkleRukus wrote:

There shouldn't be unlocks for vehicles.

Vehicles should have a standard kit setup.

Also there are way to many MANPADS, those shouldn't have been put in either.
I agree with this. MANPADs were a horrible idea inspired by noobs that couldn't use AA in BF2. They thought it would be nice to be able to lock an aircraft from some undisclosed location, completely undetectable, and spam fire and forget weapons at them with no risk of it attacking them back. Some of the players were even so naive as to think DICE would limit any weapon carried by infantry to certain players.

There are so many fire and forget weapons on this game you cant even get close to battle without being locked the entire time by something.

globefish23 wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

what was wrong with sf.
Indeed, nothing was wrong with SF.
You must not have played after the 1.5 patch. Its dead now because of it.

Last edited by Evil_Black_Fox (2012-05-13 16:02:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard